TNT - Family recipe for NC Vinegar-based sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
DH remembers his grandma always having a jar of this sitting in the pantry!

VINEGAR SAUCE

(NORTH CAROLINA SAUCE FOR PULLED PORK)

makes 4 cups

2 cups cider vinegar
1/3 cup water
5 tsp. salt
¼ cup brown sugar
4tsp. crushed hot pepper
1tsp. black pepper
1tsp. white pepper

Combine vinegar, water, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, hot pepper flakes and peppers in bowl and whisk til sugar and salt are dissolved.

Yep, your basic western NC/lexington bbq sauce.

Err, Rainee - my in-laws hail from Wilson, definitely not Western NC! The whole area uses this type of sauce - it's what goes on the chicken, too, at the church fundraisers when they do a plate dinner.

ug, I meant a eastern sauce....western has ketchup in it.

They are so similar, and I have looked at so many lately.

A vinegar based sauce sounds great. Could you please tell a midwesterner when you put this sauce on the meat? Is it a basting sauce, to be cooked onto the meat along the way, or is it a last-minute thing?

Thanks!
BC

The way we do it here in the Carolinas is put it on when you get ready to eat.

However you could use it to inject or baste if you wanted to.

just remember everytime you open the cooker it adds time to your total cooking time.

Bluecat, I'm going by my hubbies' family, here - when they do a pig, it's added after the pork is totally cooked and then shredded; some of the sauce is mixed into the pan with the shredded meat, and a bottle is also available for those who want extra.

When they do chicken, they start to 'mop' it on after the chicken starts browning on the grill, then keep on mopping til the chicken is done. The smoke and aroma from this is almost toxic, lol - you get the hit from the vinegar when it hits the coals, plus the hit from the hot peppers in the smoke - so be sure to stand upwind!

Thanks Marmalady and Rainee. I will definitely try this, and I can imagine that it would be quite a pungent smell when this hits the coals. I'll be sure to steady myself and stay upwind.

BC

Being from N. Carolina I love the vinegar based sauce. South Carolina also has a unique mustard bbq sauce that I would love a recipe for. Rainee have you got any?

marmalady said:
DH remembers his grandma always having a jar of this sitting in the pantry!

VINEGAR SAUCE

(NORTH CAROLINA SAUCE FOR PULLED PORK)

makes 4 cups

2 cups cider vinegar
1/3 cup water
5 tsp. salt
¼ cup brown sugar
4tsp. crushed hot pepper
1tsp. black pepper
1tsp. white pepper

Combine vinegar, water, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, hot pepper flakes and peppers in bowl and whisk til sugar and salt are dissolved.

Ok, one question. How much ketchup? It's mentioned in the directions, but not in the ingredients?

BTW, Rainee, I'd be interested in a Mustard-based BBQ sauce recipe as well, if you have one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom