Tomato Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WinterDream

Assistant Cook
My question is,how can I make tomato sauces less liquid?If I make a tomato sauce it's actually so liquid,that it wont stay on the noodles.
Putting flour into it makes it quite..thick..
Could someone please tell me some tricks?:3

First, if you cook it uncovered, some of the liquid will evaporate, making a thicker sauce.

Second, if you list the ingredients and quantities you use for the sauce we may be able to offer more help.

I usually add tomato paste to my sauce which thickens it up. Also, letting it simmer with the lid off will reduce it quite a bit ( just dont let it burn/ stick to the bottom). A little olive oil in it will help it stick to the pasta ( butter and cream too, but changes the taste significantly)

First off, No pasta is called "NOODLES!!! Sacrelidge! NOODLES are NOODLES! Pasta is Pasta!
Add some tomato paste.
Use tomato puree to start though 1 large can of puree, 1 can of water, 1 can of paste, 1 can of water.
Simmer with your favorite spices and herbs and cooked meat (or no meat) for about 1 hour, stirring every so often, keeping on medium low.

geez - noodles?!?

Good point Andy. and quicksilver...whoa buddy...whoa!??

As for the pasta sauce, like Andy said we'd help you better if we knew what recipe you were using. All the tricks mentioned above are great, tomato paste will def. thicken things for you but make sure you change the recipe to account for the tartness that the past will add. I always use a little more salt and a pinch of brown sugar to offset the tangyness (sp?).

If you're using a protein in your sauce like ground beef or meatballs etc, that should make for a hearty sauce already. I always add a ton of veggies to my tomato based pasta sauce, like asparagus, onion, mushrooms it adds a lot of great flavor and the sauce is extra thick! Good luck and let us know if any of this works out for you!

brown sugar? Italians in my family never heard of that.
Add a cut up (like you do for boiling mashed potatoes) fried potato. (I fry with the meatballs or sausage or chicken or braciole) The starch in the potato draws the acid out....and they taste great. That is if you stir with a wooden spoon so as not to break them up, or the meat apart, in the sauce. If they do break up, no big deal. They aren't even distinquishable.

But no, noodles are NOT pasta. Sorry guys.

And yes, uncovering will allow the liquid (water) to evaporate more quickly. But if there's any fat, from the frying, or the protein, it will splatter all over your stove. Water and oil do not mix. And if you stand by the stove, you will be wearing it also.
Tastes good though.

Alright,I guess it will help.

That's what I do.
I put tomatoes(Sometimes fresh ones,sometimes from a can)into a pot,with a bit sugar,salt and pepper.Then I heat it.Result:Water evaporates,which leaves it quite thick.I put water in it,which makes the taste less and it's getting like I said before,you can't put it on noodles.(YES NOODLES.)

What's wrong with noodles? I love noodles. I even make them at home, and still call them noodles. Het, give the kid a break. :LOL: Pasta – Shasta - Basta, who cares, as long as it tastes good. And maybe that is what they call pasta in Germany anyway. Right kid?! You are from Germany, right? ;)

Anyway, are you talking about making your own tomato sauce? Then it is whole big process. First of all you should do it only in the summer when you can get the ripest tomatoes. And then when you cook them you have to let the water evaporate until you get desired consistency.

If you are talking to make some sauce for your NOODLES, from canned tomatoes or tomatoes sauce it is a whole different bowl game, or is it ball? Gosh that funny English language. Couldn’t you peoples come up with an extra few words that do not sound the same? So we foreigners will not have that many problems. :cool:

So kid which sauce are you making? ;)

jennyema:That made me laugh.Seriously,start to read properly before posting nonsense.
Charlie:
I'm no kid ):
And I'm from near germany.Pasta is actually used here too,but it's more common to say noodles.And for me every noodle is a pasta and the same way around.

Well I can do it with ripe tomatoes and with can tomatoes.I get difficulties when it gets to the point of making sauce of what you've gotten in the bowl.At first it's kind of too liquid,and then gets too thick.(How old are you,Grandpa?)

Ok, Kid, first off all 18 is a kid, even if you are a dreamy girl. Second of all my kids are older than you are so you are a kid to me. Third of all I was trying to be funny and defending you at the same time. Fourth of all where are you from exactly? Fifth of all, can’t you take a joke, why do you think I put those winkling smiles there? ;)

Now back to your sauce. Add some tomato paste, mix it well, and cook until right consistency. Stirring all the time.

jennyema:That made me laugh.Seriously,start to read properly before posting nonsense.
There is absolutely no need to be rude. If you are rude here then you will quickly find that you are no longer welcome.

You said
I put tomatoes(Sometimes fresh ones,sometimes from a can)into a pot,with a bit sugar,salt and pepper.Then I heat it.Result:Water evaporates,which leaves it quite thick.I put water in it,which makes the taste less and it's getting like I said before,you can't put it on noodles.
Then Jenny responded
Jennyema said:
The added water is making it watery.

Just what about her post was nonsense??? She gave you the answer to your problem.

Oh,I like to say what's in my mind,and her post IS nonsense.

I explained pretty well,that it gets too thick,that's why I have to put water in it.After all I want a sauce and not something like..roasted tomato..pieces.(Or burnt,more likely)

Thank you GB.

I read quite well, actually.

"My question is,how can I make tomato sauces less liquid?If I make a tomato sauce it's actually so liquid,that it wont stay on the noodles."

"I put water in it,which makes the taste less and it's getting like I said before,you can't put it on noodles."

Last edited:
Oh,I like to say what's in my mind,and her post IS nonsense.

I explained pretty well,that it gets too thick,that's why I have to put water in it.After all I want a sauce and not something like..roasted tomato..pieces.(Or burnt,more likely)
Like I said, there is no need to be rude. I suggest you read our Community Rules. The very first rule is "Be Respectful". Telling someone who is trying to help you that their post is nonsense is NOT respectful.

You asked how to remove liquid from your sauce. You then said that you added extra liquid to your sauce. The solution to your problem is to not add that liquid or not add as much. There is nothing nonsensical about it.

Fighting with an Admin might not be the best,but here's my point:
I said it get THICK.THEN liquid,when I add sauce.NOW my question is:How do I keep it from getting thick?And if it's liquid already,how do I make it LESS liquid?
Not trying to be rude,but I speak if I want to,and I tell what's on my mind.

Grandpa :3.

Back
Top Bottom