Too Much Sugar in my Tomatoe Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tats802

Assistant Cook
I am making tomato sauce, I accidentally added too much sugar, is there any way to reduce the sweetness ASAP. Thanks, Kathy

The only thing I can think of would be to add more of everything else....

You could add some red wine vinegar, this would help reduce the sweetness level while also providing another layer of flavour to the sauce.

I agree with pdswife and Dina - add more or everything else to dilute the sugar.

Haggis had an idea I've never tried - since tomatoes are both acetic and astringent to begin with ... and the red wine vinegar would add more of the same flavors .... it might work if you just added a "little" too much sugar. If you really dosed your sauce with a bunch too much sugar - I would go back to the "add more or everything" plan.

Sorry tats802, I cannot think of a quick fix.

If your sauce is just a bit sweet would dilute it with more of the fixings, as has been posted.

If it is hopelessly sweet you might want to take a bit and make a sorbet.

Or make a souffle.

Could add a bit of it to a crepe batter.

Would a bit of it go well in an omelet, or in scrambled eggs?

Am definitely not a baker, but could you incorporate some into a bread or roll recipe?

Other than that would probably just toss the stuff.

That is about all I can think of.

Good luck.

Wonderful ideas, all!

Taking the crepes a step further, how about making a roux, adding the sweet tomato sauce to it, and perhaps a bit of milk, and using them as the topping over plain crepes stuffed with chicken and some lovely cheese, such as havarti? Top with bread crumbs that have been pan toasted in butter, and bake till bubbly.

Thanks for all the ideas, however, I totally forgot I was going to a birthday party last night and there would be a professional chef there, he set me straight. He said to add a few peeled carrots to the sauce and let them sit in it while it cooks and then add salt a little at a time and keep tasting it until the sweetness seems to be reduced. Hope this helps someone else too! I've got the pot on the stove now and I'm doing what he said, it has reduced it a bit, but it has to cook some more....thanks for all the great idea though!

Yes, it sure did! I also added the salt as well, at small increments and kept tasting it, the sauce actually was delicious. It was still slightly sweet for my taste, but my family said it was outrageous...thanks for asking!

Carrots? How strange. I don't put sugar in tomato sauce at all (I have almost no sweet tooth), and also would have thought that carrots would be too sweet. Glad it worked for you, though.

that is odd. a lot of people i know add carrots to sweeten the sauce, so as not to have to add sugar.

i did that once, tried adding a little bit of sugar from a bag, and a big chunk dropped into the pot.

the only way i was able to reduce the sweetness, as was heretofore mentioned, was to add a lot more tomatoes, wine, and salt, and oregano.

Great tip Tats802
thanks for sharing that.
I wonder if the peeled carrots would work for other spice mishaps as well, like maybe adding too much salt?
Anyone know?

RMS said:
Great tip Tats802
thanks for sharing that.
I wonder if the peeled carrots would work for other spice mishaps as well, like maybe adding too much salt?
Anyone know?

It won't work for over salting. The only thing that's proven to work is to add more of the other ingredients to make a larger batch.

Yes I agree with carrots. Go with the carrots shredded finely (put it in a food processor or food mixer, not to make it into a complete puree but to make it into tiny pieces...), you wouldn't need any sugar then. It adds a subtle sweetness, not so overpowering, more to the effect of taking the edge of the acidity that tomatoes contain. I use carrots about the same amount of onions..

I heard its best to put in a semi cooked potato for too much salt or sugar.
OR you could but Alix in the pot with the sauce. She will suck up all the sugar cause she is SO SWEET! :-p :winkiss:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom