When To Add Basil And Parsley To A Marinara Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sydfan

Senior Cook
I've had a lot of bad luck making spaghetti sauces. My wife and kid always say how it's bitter and acidic. I always use fresh basil and parsley. Should I add these ingredients at the end of cooking, or can I chop them up and put it in the sauce while it's simmering? Help a brother out folks!

:)

Add some early and then some more near the end to give it a fresher brighter taste.

The acidity is probably from the acidity of the tomatoes. You could try a different brand or type. San Marzano tomatoes are very good and not overly acidic.

Another approach is to use tomato paste as a base and to saute it before adding otherr liquids to caramelize the paste and introduce some sweetness into the sauce to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes. I prefer this to adding sugar to the sauce.

Andy M. said:
Add some early and then some more near the end to give it a fresher brighter taste.

The acidity is probably from the acidity of the tomatoes. You could try a different brand or type. San Marzano tomatoes are very good and not overly acidic.

Another approach is to use tomato paste as a base and to saute it before adding otherr liquids to caramelize the paste and introduce some sweetness into the sauce to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes. I prefer this to adding sugar to the sauce.
Yeah, that makes sense. But I've already got the sauce simmering, so it's too late to saute tomato paste. Should I add sugar? And if so, how much? There's close to a couple of quarts of sauce. Thanks for the tip Andy!

I can't say how much sugar. I've never done that. Another option is to add some baking soda. It will neutralize the acid on the sauce.

Use the tiniest bit. Use less than 1/8 teaspoon then stir it in thoroughly and taste it. A little goes a long way. It will foam up then settle down.

sydfan said:
Yeah, that makes sense. But I've already got the sauce simmering, so it's too late to saute tomato paste. Should I add sugar? And if so, how much? There's close to a couple of quarts of sauce. Thanks for the tip Andy!

You could saute an onion to caramelize it, then add it to the sauce. Next time you make it, saute an onion and some garlic first, then add the tomatoes, etc.

Uncle Bob said:
Everything Andy said, plus could you post your complete recipe??Enjoy!
The recipe is as simple as can be. I sauted some onions garlic and celery, then added two large cans of crushed tomatoes, added about a teaspoon of tomato paste and a small amount of red wine. Now it's simmering and my wife says it's WAY too tart.

:(

GotGarlic said:
You could saute an onion to caramelize it, then add it to the sauce. Next time you make it, saute an onion and some garlic first, then add the tomatoes, etc.
That's what I did.

Maybe a few pinches of cinnamon would help. My MIL told me she always put cinnamon in lasagna sauce to counter the acid in the tomatoes, and she got this tip from her Italian neighbor. I always do this with my lasagna sauce, too.

If you add the baking soda, the by-products of the reaction will be salt and carbon dioxide gas.

Add a small amount of sugar, stir it in and taste. Continue the process until it cuts down the acidic taste to a level you are happy with

GotGarlic said:
Maybe a few pinches of cinnamon would help. My MIL told me she always put cinnamon in lasagna sauce to counter the acid in the tomatoes, and she got this tip from her Italian neighbor. I always do this with my lasagna sauce, too.
I remember a friend of mine in high school who's mom used to put cinnamon in her lasgna, but I have a feeling she put too much in. It wasn't too good.

:wacko:

Last edited:
WorseCookHere said:
Add a small amount of sugar, stir it in and taste. Continue the process until it cuts down the acidic taste to a level you are happy with
I tried Andy's suggestion of baking soda and I noticed the difference immediately!

Baking soda really does help - thanks for posting your outcome - and like Andy said, MORE is not better! LOL

I think if you try buying different tomatoes/sauce it will also help. Andy's suggestion is what I use.

kitchenelf said:
Baking soda really does help - thanks for posting your outcome - and like Andy said, MORE is not better! LOL

I think if you try buying different tomatoes/sauce it will also help. Andy's suggestion is what I use.
Yeah, it helped a lot. Thanks Andy!

Oil, garlic, tomatoes, S&P, basil........in that order. Simmer for a couple of hours. At the very end, toss in some more basil.

If that doesn't please your family....my suggestion would be to offer to try theirs, next time:ohmy:

There's a couple of marinara sauce recipes that I've made that had me mincing carrots, as well as the onions and garlic, then sweating that down until it starts to collapse. The sugar in the onions and carrots helps to counter-act the acid in the tomatoes.

Of course, both recipes called for a fair amount of wine, which adds more sugar.

I haven't tried adding a little baking soda, so I might do that the next time I make some marinara. Of course, my Sous Chef really liked my last batch :)

Also, if you're using fresh herbs for your sauce, I would recommend adding them in the last five minutes or so.

I know that many recipes for this kind of sauce call for red wine, but I have had much better success with a sweet white or rose. I think the sweetness counteracts the acidity, while the usually drier reds just exacerbate it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom