Whiskey Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
This is a great sauce for bread pudding:

Whiskey Sauce
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup bourbon

Cook first 3 ingredients in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring often, until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup water, stirring until smooth. Add to butter mixture; stir in bourbon. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute.

Yield: Makes 2 3/4 cups

:)I also have not had it in a few years.I love GB cake looks like I need to make some very soon.Its just soo hot right now I hate to turn on oven.

Here's one that I've made before:

½ # powdered sugar
½ # butter
2 T spiced rum
½ t vanilla
3 eggs, beaten

Melt butter, add sugar and stir thoroughly over heat until mixture is of a uniform consistency. Add rum and vanilla, mix well. Remove from heat. Temper eggs with a little of the sauce, then add eggs to the sauce, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth. Serve warm.

The one thing to remember is that when you go to add the eggs, you have to cook it over medium-low heat, and that you can't boil it, or it will break.

I've done the same sauce with whiskey, brandy, rum, etc.

Oh Bread Pudding! What a wonderful idea! I haven't made that in years. That sauce sounds like a winner too. Thanks!

Constance, that sounds excellent! Except for the milk, cornstarch, and water--and the boiling, of course--it sounds like my Gran's hard sauce for Christmas pudding. What is the final consistency of your sauce?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom