"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
The cooker man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 22
A more specific question

So in my new meme post, I asked a general question about issues people had with their kitchen appliance, some people saido this may have been too vague a question, so I wanted to ask a more specific one.

A new thing which some manufacturers are trying to introduce is easy clean ovens, what's people's general thoughts on this?

Thanks again

TCM

The cooker man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,670
Not sure what you mean by easy clean. I've had a self-cleaning oven for 40-50 years (not the same one).
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,467
Andy, my new one has an easy clean feature. Basically you spray the interior with water and allow it to steam clean. Only works on small messes. Something I had figured out already, I did not buy this stove for the easy clean feature.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
 
The cooker man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not sure what you mean by easy clean. I've had a self-cleaning oven for 40-50 years (not the same one).
Is there a punch line coming there? ?
The cooker man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
The cooker man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 22
Would you say it's a good feature though, something worth having?
The cooker man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,467
It's not a feature...it's something added on that tries to make people think they need it. Basically, they gave me a spray bottle to fill with water and spray on myself, then clean as I normally would. No separate buttons or other controls for it.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooker man View Post
Is there a punch line coming there? ?
No punch line. I didn't know what easy clean was so I was asking. Is the interior of the oven coated or a different surface from the normal porcelain?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,179
Is the interior coated with teflon or something ?? I'm assuming "easy cleaning" is different from the traditional "self-cleaning".
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooker man View Post
A new thing which some manufacturers are trying to introduce is easy clean ovens, what's people's general thoughts on this?

TCM

I'm also wondering what the difference is between Easy Clean and Self Cleaning?

Nothing self cleans as you need to finish the job but it makes it easier in the long run.

How much easier does this new "trend/marketing ploy." make life easier?

Do I just toss the whole oven in the washer or hook it up to the vacuum cleaner?

I'll need to know how it works before I can decide if it's worth spending my money on it over what I already know how and why it works.


But this thread has made me think that my self cleaning oven needs to be cleaned and the temps are going down to 20 degrees tonight so I might as well go for it to help in the heating costs a tiny bit.
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
 
The cooker man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
No punch line. I didn't know what easy clean was so I was asking. Is the interior of the oven coated or a different surface from the normal porcelain?
I just meant the bit about having a self clean 1 for 40 - 50 years, I didn't know they had been out that long, is it a feature worth having?

Yes, the easy clean is just a coating which makes it easier to clean, it's a nano coating
The cooker man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
 
The cooker man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Andy, my new one has an easy clean feature. Basically you spray the interior with water and allow it to steam clean. Only works on small messes. Something I had figured out already, I did not buy this stove for the easy clean feature.
Oh ok, So a bit more of a gimmick than a worth while feature then would you say?
The cooker man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,179
Is that the same stuff they put on automobiles to protect the finish?
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooker man View Post
I just meant the bit about having a self clean 1 for 40 - 50 years, I didn't know they had been out that long, is it a feature worth having?...

Self-cleaning ovens were introduced in 1963.

Absolutely worth having! When you consider the alternative is to get down on your knees and apply, then remove, thick coats of hazardous chemicals that cause you to cough and gasp for air, just flipping a switch is heavenly.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Self-cleaning ovens were introduced in 1963.

Absolutely worth having! When you consider the alternative is to get down on your knees and apply, then remove, thick coats of hazardous chemicals that cause you to cough and gasp for air, just flipping a switch is heavenly.
+1!
...
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:46 AM   #15
Sous Chef
 
erehweslefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hatfield, PA
Posts: 578
I prefer to have an oven with a self-cleaning setting. Basically, as I understand how it works, it has been about since the sixties and just runs the oven at a very high temperature and pulverizes everything to ash. Most ovens with a self-clean also have a locking feature, as they have to cool down slowly otherwise you will crack the steel on on the oven.

I will say EVERY TIME I have used this I am nervous, it takes several hours, and I wouldn't use it in an unattended apartment. I watch it like a hawk, take everything out of the boiler plate drawer below, clean as much out as I can first etc...

However, it is better than getting in there with steel wool, rubber gloves and oven cleaner. It is not a cure all.

So Cooker Man? OK you mention nano, which is cool, and a new technology, I'd want to know how it works, why, and what the limits are. One of the reasons? Darn Teflon.

This was supposed to be THE miracle material, nothing stuck to it. Now I'd say it is sprayed a lot on lower quality aluminium pans. I haven't had ANY teflon pan that can get close to the non-stick of my lodge cast iron pan. Now mine is well seasoned, but there is a hydrophobic coating on that from interactions of iron, hydrocarbons, and water at high heat that makes a teflon pan look like garbage, and the teflon scratches, you can't use a metal spatula, it sublimes, and gets into your food. Have you ever seen a twenty year old teflon pan?

So a nano coating? OK would it wear off, would it sublime into the thing being cooked, nano is small, it is a thin coating, if it is damaged in part, would it be damaged in whole? What is the base on, aluminum? heats up quick but has hot spots, and is uneven, copper? corrodes with acid based sauces, iron? why not use cast iron, titanium? great can we afford it? Stainless steel, a good middle ground, they call it stainless because it is tough to get things to react to it, can you get a nano coating to stick?

I mainly use cast iron lodge products, I have a carbon steel wok, which was a pain in the arse to get conditioned, but now is performing well. I use all clad aluminium sauce pans, they are solidly constructed to give a good heat profile. I have a couple enameled pieces that I use in the oven. My perfect pan on gas and electric burner is a seasoned lodge cast iron pan. The only reason these aren't used in restaurants regular is that they have a curve, it takes a while for them to get to temperature, and a while for them to cool off as they retain heat. While this is a benefit for a home cook, a restaurant line wants timely control over temperature, so they go to stainless or aluminim.

I think if we are talking a coating, my main thing is durability. It might be the best thing ever for 10 uses, but pans get used. Scraped with spatulas, heated up to 450 and quickly cooled to room temperature. That was the problem with Teflon coatings, they gave a slight better than a poorly seasoned cast iron or carbon steel skillet, but the coating would degrade rapidly under heavy use.

I gave up the last of my teflon coated 'non-stick' pots and pans in my last move. Stopped using them, they were all jacked up, and I am in the process of trying to replace all my plastic spatulas, spoons, etc, which all are burned and melted a bit, with decent alternatives for decent pots and pans.

Things sticking to the pan are more often technique than materiel. My lodge 12" skillet is so seasoned right now, I could dump a cup of distilled water on it, shake it thrice, and it would be dry enough I could run a kleenex over it and it would be dry. A good seasoned cast iron is quite hydrophobic.
__________________
sourdough isn't a recipe, it is a process.
erehweslefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
The cooker man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
I prefer to have an oven with a self-cleaning setting. Basically, as I understand how it works, it has been about since the sixties and just runs the oven at a very high temperature and pulverizes everything to ash. Most ovens with a self-clean also have a locking feature, as they have to cool down slowly otherwise you will crack the steel on on the oven.

I will say EVERY TIME I have used this I am nervous, it takes several hours, and I wouldn't use it in an unattended apartment. I watch it like a hawk, take everything out of the boiler plate drawer below, clean as much out as I can first etc...

However, it is better than getting in there with steel wool, rubber gloves and oven cleaner. It is not a cure all.

So Cooker Man? OK you mention nano, which is cool, and a new technology, I'd want to know how it works, why, and what the limits are. One of the reasons? Darn Teflon.

This was supposed to be THE miracle material, nothing stuck to it. Now I'd say it is sprayed a lot on lower quality aluminium pans. I haven't had ANY teflon pan that can get close to the non-stick of my lodge cast iron pan. Now mine is well seasoned, but there is a hydrophobic coating on that from interactions of iron, hydrocarbons, and water at high heat that makes a teflon pan look like garbage, and the teflon scratches, you can't use a metal spatula, it sublimes, and gets into your food. Have you ever seen a twenty year old teflon pan?

So a nano coating? OK would it wear off, would it sublime into the thing being cooked, nano is small, it is a thin coating, if it is damaged in part, would it be damaged in whole? What is the base on, aluminum? heats up quick but has hot spots, and is uneven, copper? corrodes with acid based sauces, iron? why not use cast iron, titanium? great can we afford it? Stainless steel, a good middle ground, they call it stainless because it is tough to get things to react to it, can you get a nano coating to stick?

I mainly use cast iron lodge products, I have a carbon steel wok, which was a pain in the arse to get conditioned, but now is performing well. I use all clad aluminium sauce pans, they are solidly constructed to give a good heat profile. I have a couple enameled pieces that I use in the oven. My perfect pan on gas and electric burner is a seasoned lodge cast iron pan. The only reason these aren't used in restaurants regular is that they have a curve, it takes a while for them to get to temperature, and a while for them to cool off as they retain heat. While this is a benefit for a home cook, a restaurant line wants timely control over temperature, so they go to stainless or aluminim.

I think if we are talking a coating, my main thing is durability. It might be the best thing ever for 10 uses, but pans get used. Scraped with spatulas, heated up to 450 and quickly cooled to room temperature. That was the problem with Teflon coatings, they gave a slight better than a poorly seasoned cast iron or carbon steel skillet, but the coating would degrade rapidly under heavy use.

I gave up the last of my teflon coated 'non-stick' pots and pans in my last move. Stopped using them, they were all jacked up, and I am in the process of trying to replace all my plastic spatulas, spoons, etc, which all are burned and melted a bit, with decent alternatives for decent pots and pans.

Things sticking to the pan are more often technique than materiel. My lodge 12" skillet is so seasoned right now, I could dump a cup of distilled water on it, shake it thrice, and it would be dry enough I could run a kleenex over it and it would be dry. A good seasoned cast iron is quite hydrophobic.
Thank you for your indepth reply, I will respond fully soon, just wanted to send a quick reply so as not to be rude.
The cooker man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,179
The self-cleaning setting is great for making pizza.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
A more specific question

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
The self-cleaning setting is great for making pizza.

Hm. I would have never thought of that, but you're right. Doesn't it get up to around 500°? Sort of like a woodburning oven.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
The self-cleaning setting is great for making pizza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hm. I would have never thought of that, but you're right. Doesn't it get up to around 500°? Sort of like a woodburning oven.
NO!

The self-cleaning cycle raises the temperature to 900ºF and locks the oven door shut until the temperature drops to a safe level (around 500ºF). You'd have to put the pizza in before the oven heated up to 900º then leave it in there until it cooled down. I think the pizza would be ash by then and your entire home would be filled with smoke.

...but that's just my opinion.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
NO!



The self-cleaning cycle raises the temperature to 900ºF and locks the oven door shut until the temperature drops to a safe level (around 500ºF). You'd have to put the pizza in before the oven heated up to 900º then leave it in there until it cooled down. I think the pizza would be ash by then and your entire home would be filled with smoke.



...but that's just my opinion.

OK, backpedaling. It is probably NOT a good idea then.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.