Best non-stick skillet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
Does anyone have a good non-stick skillet that they would recommend? I've been using a Denmark skillet that I purchased at Bed Bath. & Beyond, but it seems to wear quickly and chip around the edges.

That's awesome. Seems like cast iron skillets are really versatile.

Versatile, and inexpensive too.

You can get pre-seasoned Lodge CI for very little money at Wal-Mart and hardware stores. You can get 8", 10" and 12" skillets for $15-$20 each.

The really good part is that they last forever and if something happens to damage the seasoning, you can clean it off and re-season it.

The downside is they are heavy.

Can you cook eggs in a cast iron skillet?
I use a 6" CI skillet to cook my eggs whenever I don't poach them. It works for me. And I eat eggs 4-5 days/week. They slide right out. I clean mine with salt and a broomstick cleaner (from Europe), but one could use salt and a nylon scrubber. Most of the time, wiping it out with a paper towel is all the clean up that is needed.

Andy M. said:
Versatile, and inexpensive too.

You can get pre-seasoned Lodge CI for very little money at Wal-Mart and hardware stores. You can get 8", 10" and 12" skillets for $15-$20 each.

The really good part is that they last forever and if something happens to damage the seasoning, you can clean it off and re-season it.

The downside is they are heavy.

I remember that we spoke about cast iron pans on another thread. I wish that Bed Bath carried some of the smaller Lodge pans so I could try one out and return it if it's too heavy for me.

I remember that we spoke about cast iron pans on another thread. I wish that Bed Bath carried some of the smaller Lodge pans so I could try one out and return it if it's too heavy for me.
The one I have (the little one) is not heavy at all. I would be surprised if it weighed more than 1 lb. I can weigh it on my scale. I use it stovetop.

You can get an idea of their weight in the store. If you buy ne and find it's too heavy, at least the investment wasn't too big.

Andy M. said:
You can get an idea of their weight in the store. If you buy ne and find it's too heavy, at least the investment wasn't too big.

True. And I'm guessing that their non-toxic too? I have multiple chemical sensitivities so I'm cautious.

I have several CI skillets, griddle, chicken roaster. I also have Le Crueset skillets. I think they are non-toxic. I love mine. I recently re-seasoned one of the CI skillets and the griddle. I love my "baby" CI skillet for eggs. I don't use it for anything else. And I love my Le Creuset skillets as well--they are heavier than the CI ones and more expensive.

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
I have several CI skillets, griddle, chicken roaster. I also have Le Crueset skillets. I think they are non-toxic. I love mine. I recently re-seasoned one of the CI skillets and the griddle. I love my "baby" CI skillet for eggs. I don't use it for anything else. And I love my Le Creuset skillets as well--they are heavier than the CI ones and more expensive.

I used to have Le Creuset skillets and ended up giving them away because they were too heavy,

The CI pans aren't as heavy as the Le Creuset. Lucky person that received your unwanted Le Creuset. I imagine if you had any more, you'd have a lot of takers on DC!

The Pampered Chef all white ceramic cookware might be worth a look-see. It has the same properties re: heat going up the sides that Le Creuset has (the ice-cube test). I still like my CI and Le Creuset more than any cookware one could throw at me (of course, I would have to work on my duck-ege coordination so I could duck before s/thing hit me).

Best place I found to get CI skillets is on Ebay. You can find Griswold pans there cheap. And they are much lighter, have a superior cooking surface, and perform better than Lodge pans, IMHO. You can also find them cheap in garage sales.

My smallest Griswold pan is just big enough to cook two fried eggs. I rub a little butter on the pan when it's hot, and the eggs just slide around on it with no effort. The downside, it's hard to get a spatula under it to flip as the eggs just push across the pan. So I hand flip them using the pan. The pan weighs less than a pound. Stainless steel, if you get it hot, then add oil, food slides across it too. But it is just a little more difficult to clean than CI as you have to wash it with a damp sponge and soap.

Fact is, if you learn how to use them properly, most metal pans are fairly non-stick. You just need to have them seasoned, or heat them before adding the cooking fat.

CI is great for frying things because of its thermal mass. But it can have hot spots. SS usually has some time of encapsulated heat diffusing metal built in to eliminate hot spots. But you have to use them right, or things stick like crazy. Even aluminum is stick free if you season it as you would cast iron.

The choice is up to you, and what you like to use. The one thing I know is that I don't like to use non-stick cookwear.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

While I do not disagree with the cast iron suggestion, not everyone does well with it. It takes awhile to get it fully conditioned, it can be a bit heavy.
One the other hand I would not recommend nonstick coatings that were in use prior to around 2008/09 when Teflon was reformulated with the chemicals that have gotten the negative reviews.
My personal recommendation is the diamond coated nonstick from Woll. No chemicals and the diamond surface conducts heat terrifically. Metal utensils can be used (but not suggested). This is really good versatile nonstick cookware.

[Disclaimer: I both use and sell Woll]

I use a Scanpan CTX skillet with my Induction Cooktop- it browns, is ceramic coated and can be used with metal utinsils. Cast iron is great but too heavy for my wife. Lodge and de buyer make steel pans that are non stick when seasoned and are lighter than CI- they just don't retain heat as well.

Back
Top Bottom