"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Coatesville, PA
Posts: 2
Cooking Torch Question

I just purchased a cooking torch with butane canisters. The instructions say that I should remove the canister from the torch after using it. Is this really necessary? Does every do this? Would just be more difficult to store if I had to do this each time. Thanks.

RVS053063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #2
Senior Cook
 
ScottinPollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: West slope of the Sierra Nevada
Posts: 447
For some models, the seal between the fuel and/or the valve itself are not 100%. So if you don't mind some leakage here (and wasting fuel) you can ignore the recommendation to remove it between uses.
ScottinPollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinPollock View Post
For some models, the seal between the fuel and/or the valve itself are not 100%. So if you don't mind some leakage here (and wasting fuel) you can ignore the recommendation to remove it between uses.
...then, when you ant to use it again, the canister will be empty.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
ScottinPollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: West slope of the Sierra Nevada
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...then, when you ant to use it again, the canister will be empty.
Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on the seal and valve.
ScottinPollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,603
Mine gets filled from a pressurized canister that you can reuse until it is empty.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,615
When I finally buy a torch (not so important as I now have a gas range) I think I will get the smallest plumbing torch available.
They seem to be much cheaper and run on regular propane gas. Propane tanks at the store are very inexpensive, but a little big. But can be easily held in one hand.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:34 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
When I finally buy a torch (not so important as I now have a gas range) I think I will get the smallest plumbing torch available.
They seem to be much cheaper and run on regular propane gas. Propane tanks at the store are very inexpensive, but a little big. But can be easily held in one hand.
Craig uses his to light the grill and also to char peppers. When he uses the plumbing torch to do the peppers, it chars the skin so quickly that the flesh of the pepper is hardly cooked at all and the pepper still holds its shape.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Craig uses his to light the grill and also to char peppers. When he uses the plumbing torch to do the peppers, it chars the skin so quickly that the flesh of the pepper is hardly cooked at all and the pepper still holds its shape.
That is exactly why I will get that type.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 2,198
I still have a plumbing torch I got in late '83, when I bought my house, and did a lot of plumbing work! I still use it to this day, more for kitchen work, than plumbing! A lady I knew back in the late 90s gave me a "kitchen" torch, powered by butane, but it did not work as well - eventually, I gave it to someone who didn't do plumbing!
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,059
I got my torch at Home Depot - it takes either propane or MAPP.


I had a couple of those little kitchen butane torches - they were a waste of time & money.
__________________
In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:57 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS053063 View Post
I just purchased a cooking torch with butane canisters. The instructions say that I should remove the canister from the torch after using it. Is this really necessary? Does every do this? Would just be more difficult to store if I had to do this each time. Thanks.
I never remove mine. No problems, yet. If it is leaking, you will smell it very quickly.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
When I finally buy a torch (not so important as I now have a gas range) I think I will get the smallest plumbing torch available.
They seem to be much cheaper and run on regular propane gas. Propane tanks at the store are very inexpensive, but a little big. But can be easily held in one hand.
I have both, plus a Searzall attachment for the propane torch.

The Butane kitchen torch is much better at doing subtle duties, like putting a crust on a creme brûlée. I use the propane torch and Searzall for things like putting a sear on sous vide steaks.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook, cooking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.