Electric Kettles - what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For years, I thought an electric kettle sounded like a dumb idea. Just put a kettle on the stove. But, then I gave it a try. We love our electric kettle. We use it all the time. I would say a minimum of three times a day and easily five or six times. I like that I can walk away and I won't set the house on fire, okay, burn the kettle. I have burnt more than one regular kettle.

Mine will do smallish amounts of water and I think it has about a two litre capacity. Sure, I could use the microwave, but then I am guessing how long to set the MW to. I can tell my electric kettle what temperature I want (in 10°C increments) and it will beep and turn off when it gets there.

We elongate our espressos with hot water from the electric kettle. We make pots of tea with hot water from the electric kettle. When something is cooking and needs a bit more water, hit the button on the electric kettle and quickly have boiling water to top up whatever.

Thanks for your various input. I make a lot of hot tea and also use hot water to make coffee in a pourover. I too have incinerated more than one whistling kettle when the whistler got stuck or I simply forgot and was out of earshot.

We elongate our espressos with hot water from ..

Love this word in association with coffee... :LOL:

Who knows, but it seemed like a well designed product. It's an old concept updated, so I'm sure you'll be able to find something, maybe even make something of your own?

An electric kettle is standard in every UK household - as standard as a washing machine. The only time we would use a kettle on the stove would be if there was a power cut.

Gillian

Alton Brown heats other liquids besides water in his. He often heats stock/broth for recipes.

GilliAnne : that is assuming it's gas, and the kettle is all metal on the base (in which case it may work with an induction cooker?).

msmofet : If anything heating stock with just the prongs of heather would be easier to clean and maintain. I can't imagine using a kettle to reheat a stock, unless perhaps warming it through in a bain-marie?!

Time for a new electric kettle. My $25, 1.7L kettle stopped working this morning so I ordered another one of the same on Amazon. I'll get it tomorrow. I got a good, solid couple of years of daily use out of this one and I'm ok with that. Same color, white with pretty ring of blue LED's....

Time for a new electric kettle. My $25, 1.7L kettle stopped working this morning so I ordered another one of the same on Amazon. I'll get it tomorrow. I got a good, solid couple of years of daily use out of this one and I'm ok with that. Same color, white with pretty ring of blue LED's....
Can you please post the link. TIA

After watching that video, I couldn't help but think they were dramatizing small differences to make a point. Steel kettles are hard to see into so get glass. Really? Who measures the amount of water that goes into a kettle? You measure the water you pour OUT of a kettle.

After seeing this, I'm especially pleased with the $25 kettle we have. It boils water really fast. That's why we bought it.

I like glass kettles because you can see the water level at a glance as I walk into the kitchen. I boil about 1.5 liters of water every morning to fill a liter size coffee press for morning coffee for the family. I had SS kettles with narrow water level windows in the past but I much prefer the all glass, $25 kettles. This is just personal preference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom