Granite cutting board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At that size, I would guess it was intended to be a cheese board.

It would make a great cheese board! I use a thick wood cutting board for cheeses but would be pleased with something that could help maintain an even temperature when the kitchen gets hot whilst cooking.

It's about 12" square so I can't really see it being used as a pastry board. My SIL really doesn't know her way around a kitchen but pretends she does. Since granite is all the rage in countertops, I'm sure she thought it was a highend gift! Neither my sister or I really know what to do with the chunk of stone. Sis was thinking of using it as a stepping stone in her yard but the polished surface would be pretty slick in wet weather. Her daughter had gotten cut several times on the corners.

How thick is it?

If it's an inch thick or so you can use it has a hot rock for cooking on.

Sounds like it might be a good place to put a pot of hot food while it cools, but I sure wouldn't dull my knives on it.

The problem is, the top surface is polished but the sides have rough edges and sharp corners. Does anyone know if there is a way to round them down a bit? I'm hoping there is a sander attachment or dremel tool thing that will soften the sharp corners. I don't want to spend the money to take it to a stone person for polishing. TIA

You can use a grinder on it, very lightly though.

The 18x18 granite tile I used for my island had a slight 45deg bevel on the edges. I had to make some cuts, so to mimmick that bevel I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder.

Could just get a sanding block and aluminum oxide paper.

Shouldn't take long to hand work it down to where it won't be a danger. It is just granite, not like you would be trying to take an edge off of zircon.

I say leave those beautiful edges as is. Use it as a fruit/cheese board (I can't believe they ALL stole my idea!) :chef: or for other cold-type appetizers. IMHO it's a beautiful serving piece! Absolutely do not use it as a cutting board.

Granite edges can be as sharp as a knife and I would smooth them down. I doesn't take much to take off the sharp edge and it won't change the look of the granite. I have done it on granite and I used a Dremmel. I used a disk sander to do the same to marble. Any sanding tool or abrasive material will work.

I've got one I use for cheese, rolling out fresh pasta, etc. I also cut a "top" for it outof one of those thin roll-up plastic cutting boards. I hate those because they are so floppy, but as a cutting surface topper over the granite it works great. I store it under the stone, the stone looks beautiful where the poly is not.

John

Discussion of granite top cutting boards

I just read a lot of comments on those who received granite (and I would include Marble here too) cutting boards. First let me say since this is my first time to do this, that I appreciate those comments that generally discussed not using the granite cutting boards as with there best knives. I cook for my wife and I and I enjoy it, but I have never heard of this concern before about dulling the knife blade. I thank those for the red flag here and not a minute to soon to, because I sell granite counter tops and Kitchen cabinets and many people ask me about cutting directly on the granite. Hopefully you are all right about this and I will now give them a good answer. It will also help me, because I am planning to sell granite cutting tables (as I like to call them) to people and I will now post a warning on them not to use there good knifes on them. My boards are for cutting cheese and other soft objects or for just displaying food on a buffet table since the design underneath will add to the overall appearance. Let me say one last thing. I am not promoting my boards on this forum unless this website would like me to. This comment was a thank you to all on the discussion. Thank you.

Last edited:
When I had new countertops installed, I had the cutout for the sink made into a lazy susan rather than a cutting board.

Just to add a comment Here: I recently visited a local winery in my area of Orange County California and thought the design of these cutting boards made of marble were very artistic and would add a very "Vineyard" touch to any table. They can be used for a lot of things, not just a cutting surface. I read the comment about someone not liking the rough edges. As you can see here, it adds greatly to the overall design of the cutting table, but I can understand how this could be a hazard and cause problems. I thank that person for the comment too.
I hope the attachments come to all with no problems.

Great Idea, although I have yet to make an apple pie, I've heard that granite works great rolling out dough.

I like to wash my cutting boards in the sink rather than just wipe them off. Granite is too heavy for that...speaking for myself that is.

I agree with you on the heavy part and I would also not use a Marble, Stone or Granite cutting board as a normal kitchen utinsal (so to speak).
I prefer, as you ,to use lighter materials and I wash mine too in the sink because I want them very clean after each use. thanks

Dulling knives on Granite

Hello, I have had granite cutting boards before and I just recently got a nice large piece that I am currently sealing to use as a trivet/cheese board/cutting board.
I have used granite cutting boards for a long time and never had any problems with my knives getting ruined. How often do you all have to sharpen your knives?
What about using stone ruins a knife? Anyway I was just curious if I should stop using them. Thanks for the help.

:chef:-Tim-

Great Idea, although I have yet to make an apple pie, I've heard that granite works great rolling out dough.

The trick with granite and marble pastry boards is to chill them before using. Too big for your fridge/freezer, no problem. Zip-loc bag full of ice and water on the slab for a bit. The chilled stone keeps the shortening in your pastry cold and hard, so you get flakier pastry than with warm, finely pilled shortening.

What about using stone ruins a knife? Anyway I was just curious if I should stop using them. Thanks for the help.

It's simple physics.

Pushing a knife blade into a rock-hard surface which is harder than the knife blade itself will dull it very quickly and can damage it. This will not happen with a soft surface. Never use a granite, marble, glass or ceramic surface for cutting.

Most stone boards are either meant to be used or better used as pastry boards and not cutting boards.

Last edited:
Hello, I have had granite cutting boards before and I just recently got a nice large piece that I am currently sealing to use as a trivet/cheese board/cutting board.
I have used granite cutting boards for a long time and never had any problems with my knives getting ruined. How often do you all have to sharpen your knives?

Think about it - Do they use wood for knife sharpeners? No, they use stone (either artificial or natural). They use stone because it's harder than steel. So why would you use it for a cutting board, where you are just ramming the sharp edge onto a flat stone? Wood (or most plastics) will give when the knife contacts it. When the knife contacts stone, it's the knife which gives way, rapidly dulling the edge.

I'm always a bit surprised when I see this question asked because to me it seems like simple common sense. If you want your knives to stay sharp and live a long, full life, you never cut on a material which is harder than the knife itself. However, I've been unable to teach this principle to my wife in the 20 years we've been married, so sometimes I just have to scratch my head in wonder. :wacko:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom