How can I clean my wooden pestle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luca Lazzari

Sous Chef
Hi friends,
I just bought a marble mortar with a wooden pestle in Liguria, and I used them to make a garlic sauce.
Now the mortar is ok, while the pestle smells of garlic like hell! :ROFLMAO:
Anyone knows how to get rid of this? I think I'll start bathing it in some soap.

Thanks everyone

I would just rub the cut lemon on it and let it dry.

In the future don't use a lemon just for this. Wait until you are using a lemon for some other reason and rub it on before you throw it out.

Yes, actually I used a leftover lemon I found in my fridge. I'm very wise on this matters: I don't like to waste anything, like my old blessed grandmas!!! :)

Yes, actually I used a leftover lemon I found in my fridge. I'm very wise on this matters: I don't like to waste anything, like my old blessed grandmas!!! :)

I have half a lemon with no zest in my refrigerator right now.
I may need to purchase a wooden pestle so it doesn't go to waste ;)

Rubbing your hands and fingers on stainless steel (like the sink faucet) removes the garlic smell, so maybe you can try rubbing the pestle on stainless steel. The other methods involving a rub of vinegar, lemons, and baking soda aren't going to remove garlic from wood. You'll probably need to just wash it a few times, or try a soak of oxyclean.

I'm a barbarian, I've no dishwasher...
Nothing worked, this pestle id definitely possessed by evil garlic demons! OK, I'm buying another one, then I'll use one for garlic sauces and the other for non garlic sauce. :cool:

I was wondering if, when the pestle is new, a coating of oil might seal the surface and prevent it from picking up the smell?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom