Immensity of problem in waffle iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nealc

Assistant Cook
I want to clean this. It's a nonstick nonremovable grates on a Cuisinart WAF 150 I've tried baking soda, pushing a damp paper town with chopsticks while it's hot to try to loosen, but still can't really clean it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

PXL-20201108-020313182-1.jpg

For comparison, a Cuisinart WAF 150 without all that:

Cuisinart-4-slice-belgian-waffle-maker.jpg

What are the grates made from? Are they steel? Cast iron? Might the company make suggestions?

Is it years of build up or something else?

Welcome to DC!

Dampen a cloth with ammonia. Place the damp cloth on the cold grid and close the appliance Place the waffle iron into a heavy plastic trash bag, leaving the power cord put. Let sit in the bag outside over night. Any food/oil debris should easily wipe out with paper towels in the morning.

Hope this works for you.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Welcome to the forum!

I see that they are nonremovable, which, unfortunately, is common for waffle makers, esp. older ones. I would suggest Formula D, or Dawn Power-Dissolver, if you can still find it (some places discontinued it). Or maybe oven cleaner. To prevent the oven cleaner from getting into the waffle maker, take a container of oven cleaner outside, and using gloves and safety glasses, spray some into a container of some sort - a jar or throw away plastic - and using a cheap paint brush, brush it on the waffle maker, keeping it wet for a half hour or so, then use a cheap toothbrush, and see if the cooked on gunk seems to come off. If some comes off, but not all, do another brushing of the cleaner. Once clean, wipe it off with paper towels, then wipe it clean with some vinegar, to neutralize the lye, then clean with some regular dawn, or whatever you use, then water. Hopefully, it will come off.

horsefeathers.
that pic is from making hash browns in a waffle iron, not waffles.
see

in 60+ years I have never seen that kind of mess in making a waffle - including all those pre-non-stick waffle irons.

horsefeathers.
see

in 60+ years I have never seen that kind of mess in making a waffle - including all those pre-non-stick waffle irons.
Thanks for finding that photo. I did wonder how the heck a waffle iron would get dirty like that from making waffles. It didn't make any sense at all.

horsefeathers.
see

This post is only here to get you clicking his links. First post - 2 links - valueless info. Needs moderation.

I take everything in moderation.

If you want to try something outstanding, try French toast waffles. Make your usual French toast custard, soak pain de mie (pullman loaf) bread slices in it, then place it in a waffle iron instead of a gridle or frying pan. This works best with a a square Belgian waffle maker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom