ISO help choosing cookie sheets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmclears

Assistant Cook
Can somebody PLEAZEZEZEE help! I have so many different types of cookie sheets I just dont know which is the best. I have no side, 4 side, 2 sides, insulates, light, dark etc. . . Does anyone out there have any insight?? I want to start baking this weekend but am just clueless! Thanks all.

I like my insulated no sided silver ones, and use parchment paper. Then I don't get overbaked bottoms and they don't stick.

I use plain aluminum half sheet pans for almost everything. They are cheap, sturdy and reliable.

I have aluminum no sides (2) that are my standard for cookies and I have aluminum sides half sheets (8) that are called into service at Christmas for cookies, candies, pizza etc. The half sheets I bought at Sam's Club and the no sides I got at Kmart 25 yrs ago! I never cared for the insulated but know some people (my sisters) swear by them.

After not having good results with nonstick or air-cushioned, I bought Chicago Metallic Professional cookie sheets (cake pans and muffin tin also) and love them. I always use parchment paper.

Edited: Oops. I meant to say that I love the Chicago Metallic Commercial line. The "professional" line is nonstick.

Last edited:
I'm like Andy - I use half sheet size aluminum pans - my restaurant supply house calls them bun pans. As a side note, Cook's Illustrated agrees - they tested all sorts of cookie sheets and found these to be the ones they liked best. I use a Silpat in mine every time but parchment paper works the same way.

MM, that is very interesting. Do you grease the stones when a recipe calls for it? I have never heard of using them for baking anything other than pizza type things or bread. Hmmmm

I've occasionally used a stone for other things besides pizza but since I don't have a lot of stones I tend to stick with the aluminum for cookies. I can portion out the cookies on sheets all at once and just rotate them through the oven. If your stone is well seasoned, I wouldn't grease it but if it is fairly new then yes go ahead.

MM, that is very interesting. Do you grease the stones when a recipe calls for it? I have never heard of using them for baking anything other than pizza type things or bread. Hmmmm

Lyndalou - I have never greased any of my stones for anything. Whatever I bake on the stones always comes out evenly baked - top and bottom. They clean up very easily too. I love them!

Back
Top Bottom