It had to happen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
:( I sliced my thumb while dicing a tomato. I was showing my future son-in-law the trick of slicing thin slices from the top to about half way down the tomato, turning the fruit 90 degrees, and again slicing half-way down. Then turn the tomato on its side and as you slice thin slices, butiful diced tomato falls to the cutting board.

I was in a hurry and got my thumb under the path of a very sharp blade. It cut effortlessly through the tomato skin, and slightly into my thumb, just ahead of the nail. I haven't cut myself with that knife since I got it last Christmas, a year ago.

The moral of the story, don't get careless. Oh, and my professional Chef son taught me a good little trick for such emergencies. First, clean under running water, then wrap in paper towel to manage the blood (wasn't a very big cut), then, when it quits flowing, carefully super-glue the skin back together. The glue seals it from dirt, and prtects it from further injury and you can get back to work. Of course, for hygenic reasons, still wrap a bandage around it, just in case. That's good for you and those who eat the food. :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

pst1can said:
Heh Goodweed....if you are out of super glue you can also use clear nail polish...it helps take the sting out of annoying paper cuts too.

and looks just fabulous by candlelight, too...

and roflmao, crewsk. poor kid. i tried to open a crazy glue tube that had a stuck cap by biting down and turning it. it broke open in my mouth, so i had to keep my mouth open 'till it dried. i was pickin bits of glue out of my teeth for days...

One thing I always do if I cut or puncture my skin. I milk it so it bleeds more. Flushes out any bad stuff. At least I think it does. Haven't had an infection in years.

BTW, how was the embarrassment factor?

crewsk said:
I don't keep super glue around my house since the time my daughter super glued her toes together & feet to the kitchen floor! :roll:
Well, at least it should be easy to keep track of her! :LOL:

When I was young I was taught never to cut towards myself with a knife. Every cook I see on television does so when dicing - makes me wince. Personally, I cut an onion in half, put the flat side down and make thin slices from the rounded top down to the cutting board in one direction, keeping the pieces together. Then I turn the onion and make another cut 90 degrees to the first. This produces strips, not diced pieces, so I then spread it out on the cutting board and give it a Rachel Ray chop to finiish it off. I don't get a professional dice, but then they don't call me Old Three Toes either.

Crewsk; That is too funny, but only in retrospect. When I read your post, it made me instantly laugh and feel so sorry for the child, both at the same time. And BuckyTom, I can relate. Ever strip a live phone wire with your teeth? When you accidently complete the circuit by touching some part of your body with the other wire pair, watch out. And if you get hit by the 115 vold ringling voltage, well let's just say it cures you of using your teeth to strip wire.

Liuckily, I haven't glued my mouth shut though. Super glue drying on the teeth; I gotta think that it would cause some worry, and taste nasty to boot.

I'm glad we're all still alive to share these tails.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

crewsk said:
I don't keep super glue around my house since the time my daughter super glued her toes together & feet to the kitchen floor! :roll:

OK. Since Goodweed found it amusing, I can add in my laughter. I know it's not funny when it happened, but the picture I got in my mind sure amused the heck outta me.

I don't know what I would do in your situation. Did you call the fire department? I don't know what I would do if I was stuck to the floor and couldn't reach the phone.

It was rather funny after the fact. Hubby had been using super glue on something & left it lying on the back of the washer. She climbed up on a paint can & got the glue while I was in the shower. When I walked back into the kitchen, she was stuck to the floor & my son had the little push pin top glued to his thumb from where he was trying to take it away from here. She came off the floor pretty easily her toes were the hard part. I luckly have an aunt who is an RN/EMT & I called her she said to use ice & freeze it off & then use a nail polish romover with acetone to get the rest of the super glue off. It worked so there were no trips to the ER that night! :LOL:

that happened to my dad 2 summers ago. but he cut it so far down that they had to put like tar on his thumb until it healed OUCH! :shock:

Bucky...you gave me my evening chuckle again!!!! It must be Christmas, just saw the Christmas story again on TV with the kids and all I could think of was you being the little boy with his tongue stuck to the frozen metal pole....Hold on Bucky, the fire trucks are on their way!!!! Pst :LOL:

Living up her in yooper country, I did as every boy under the sun has probably done and froze my tongue to cold metal in the winter. Fortunately, it was only my mailbox. I was able to put my bare hand inside and warm up the metal so that I didn't lose any tongue. my youngest son (now 21) wasn't so fortunate. He froze his tongue to a steel handrail at about age 6. He lost tongue tissue. It wasn't a good day for him. Fortunately, the tongue tissue and taste buds genrally grow back, if the damage isn't too severe. It grew back for him.

And people, I don't recomend doing this little trick. Curiosity about what it feels like is what gets people in trouble. Be curious about something else ;) .

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

crewsk said:
Oh my :shock: My first child turns 1 in just a few days so I am looking forward to having stories like these of my own before too long. :roll:

Goodweed of the North said:
Curiosity about what it feels like is what gets people in trouble. Be curious about something else ;) .
Its not curiosity that gets people in trouble, its another thing altogether :LOL:

DigitalAether said:
crewsk said:
Oh my :shock: My first child turns 1 in just a few days so I am looking forward to having stories like these of my own before too long. :roll:

Congrats DA!! The stories get even better as they get older! :LOL: My daughter was 2 1/2 at the time this happened. Since then we have had a lot of interesting things happen. :roll:

Did I mention that one of my boys accidently shot the other right between the eyes with a multi-pump b-b/pellet rifle? Oh, and I accidently piloted a dirt bike off of a 30-foot cliff at about age 21. And then there's the time I and a freind paddled a connoe accross a 3/4 wide stretch of river, in the dead of night, without a flashlight, or any kind of light. We had to paddle very fast to avoid being run over by an 800 foot long lake freighter that couldn't see us as it steamed up-river. And these are jsut a sampling of a life spent persuing adventure and excitement.

Crewsk is right. The stories I have about myself and freinds are hair-raising enough. The things that have happened to my children as they passed from infancy to adulthood test a father's, and mother's heart. But I woldn't have it any other way. We learn from our mistakes, and usually, we seem to avoid death and serious injury while making them. You should see the gravel and sand pits I used to sled on in my youth. No one in their right mind would have done such things. Maybe Bill Cosby's line is correct, you know, the one that states that before the age of 21, all children are brain damaged. :D

Good grief!!! I don't know whether to ROFL at this thread (which I admit to), or to shudder!

And I thought I saw some interesting things on a daily basis...!

Crewsk, I'm sure your aunt told you that we use a type of Super Glue in ER all the time. Sure glad you evaded the trip to ER that day, but it sounds like you would have needed to first lift up the floor to get there!

Goodweed of the North said:
Did I mention that one of my boys accidently shot the other right between the eyes with a multi-pump b-b/pellet rifle?

lol, gw. i was sitting on a bean bag chair in front of a friend once, watching tv, with my feet up. he pumped up his bb gun 'till it could take no more, and tried to "wing" the tip of my sneaker unbeknownst to me.
suddenly, there was a stinging/burning feeling in my foot. i jumped up thinking there was a bee or spider in my shoe, so i kicked it off. i felt this thing rolling around in my sock, and pulling it off i discovered the bb. it had passed thru the top of my sneaker, thru the top of my sock, right between my toes.
at least your boys have good aim, lol.

Back
Top Bottom