Opinion: This Garlic Press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I have had several garlic presses over the decades, my conclusion has been that they are useless. If I need a clove or two of garlic I'll mince it with a knife or grate it with a MicroPlane. If I need a lot of it I'll do it in a food processor/chopper, or put it in the vitamix with other ingredients I need to combine.

While this certainly seems like less waste/cleaning than a conventional press, why not just go for a MicroPlane, which is a lot more versatile?

If you get it Andy, let us know what you think of it. I'm intrigued as well. It does have the disadvantage that you need to get a cutting board or some other surface dirty too. Also, you can't squeeze the garlic directly into the dish or skillet.

Garlic is one of the few things that I cannot seem to mince well, so I would be very interested to know how it works. Most are so hard to clean that I just go with whatever I end up with when I try to mince garlic. :)

That is an impressive unit for mass production of sorts. Stainless, too, so that is a plus. I got a mini stainless press. Love it. for a few cloves. Used to have one out of pot metal and found it was shaving little bits of metal off when I used the knife to scrape the pressings off. You can always return things to Amazon, especially if it has defects. Not much of a risk unless it is heavy for return postage.

This is what I got.

https://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Grille...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I agree, CD, and I had some of those cheap ones I got early on break, as I tried to get the cloves forced through! Usually made of aluminium, too, which didn't help.

Last edited:
I agree, CD, and I had some of those cheap ones I got early on break, as I tried to get the cloves forced through! Usually made of aluminium, too, which didn't help.

Same happened to me, Ive broken a couple in the pas. the one I have now, I've had for years and is holding up well ( not sure of the brand, but I made sure to get something that would last).

I never tried the rocking kind, as Andy mentioned. I am curious to see if it works well.

For me the biggest draw for a press is keeping your hands free of garlic odor. I do peel before using one though.
Besides its faster than mincing and pulverizing with salt on the cutting board.
I use my chef knife and the press. Just depends on how I feel that day.
One thing about using a press. The garlic comes out extremely strong in smell and taste.
So it just depends.

Oh.. Andy for the small price on the press, go for it.

Last edited:
Same happened to me, Ive broken a couple in the pas. the one I have now, I've had for years and is holding up well ( not sure of the brand, but I made sure to get something that would last).

I never tried the rocking kind, as Andy mentioned. I am curious to see if it works well.

Yeap, same here. Funny thing, the only press that works, I brought back from Soviet Union. It's more than 30 years old. I've had similar looking ones, made in China, did not less even thru the first use.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I guess no one has experience with this particular press. I typically use my chef's knife to crush, peel and mince cloves. I don't like to use a microplane as it makes mush of the garlic. Sometimes I want a change if there's a lot fo garlic. I like the idea of this because it seems simple to use and easy to clean. All SS construction.

Maybe I'll put it on the Christmas list.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I guess no one has experience with this particular press. I typically use my chef's knife to crush, peel and mince cloves. I don't like to use a microplane as it makes mush of the garlic. Sometimes I want a change if there's a lot fo garlic. I like the idea of this because it seems simple to use and easy to clean. All SS construction.

Maybe I'll put it on the Christmas list.

One of my microplane graters has two sizes of grating surfaces, one fine and the other one quite coarse.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I guess no one has experience with this particular press. I typically use my chef's knife to crush, peel and mince cloves. I don't like to use a microplane as it makes mush of the garlic.

Ok... but what happens to the garlic that is in between the holes? I'm guessing it is made into "mush" (certainly not as consistent as a press or grater). I guess it all depends on whether your looking for chopped, minced, or crushed garlic. Most presses crush it, which I don't see that being all that different than a microplane or other fine grater.

Ok... but what happens to the garlic that is in between the holes? I'm guessing it is made into "mush" (certainly not as consistent as a press or grater). I guess it all depends on whether your looking for chopped, minced, or crushed garlic. Most presses crush it, which I don't see that being all that different than a microplane or other fine grater.

I expect the garlic that comes out of this garlic press to be similar to the garlic that comes out of most garlic presses. I don't think that it will be as mushy as micro planed garlic.

Back
Top Bottom