Skewers 316 + electropolishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hueberttix

Cook
I have a cheap set of standard BBQ skewers which have lasted me for a couple of years irregular use, but find them rusting and discoloured.

I read that Stainless Steel 316 with a decent (18) Nickel and Chromium (10) content makes for a far more rust resistant coating. I also read that electropolishing makes stainless steel even more reliable, but have not seen any food skewers with this level of finish.

I am just looking to use them for drying out beef jerky in a domestic home oven, but I wanted them to be pristine for each use, does anybody know of where I could purchase something along these lines please?

Actually, upon closer inspection it was written 18/8 to be fair, I just didn't read it properly! Still, nothing on electroplating, but perhaps I am asking too much.

You can see from one of my most recent experiments: https://ukbeefjerkytryouts.wordpress.com/2018/09/07/unagi-jerky-bonito/

Its a cleaner system than I should imagine paperclips, which would be a devil to clean.

But these skewers are patining in colour and reacting with iron when left wet and start to surface rust when left to dry.

I found the following:

https://www.wuesthof.com/international/products/Product-details/skewer-4361-30

But perhaps the one in the link above is more realistic price wise. However, while both are manufactured in China, I have to wonder why there is such a price gap with the German version?

How about using bamboo skewers, 100 to a pack, inexpensive (here), throw away when done.
Soak them in the marinade to keep them moist.

I don't know that electroplating is necessary. All the metal skewers I've seen are a plain SS. I have these skewers and have never had an issue with rust. I use them on a gas grill.

I used to use bamboo originally, but the thought of splinters in my meat didn't sit well with me. And I would have to discard them after each use, it seemed like a waste.

I just wanted to see if there were a pair with electroplating, why not, if it's going to be even more reliable.

I used to use bamboo originally, but the thought of splinters in my meat didn't sit well with me. And I would have to discard them after each use, it seemed like a waste.

I just wanted to see if there were a pair with electroplating, why not, if it's going to be even more reliable.

If you go with quality stainless steel, no plating is necessary. From my experience in the automotive world, I didn't even know you CAN electroplate over stainless steel. Electroplating SS car parts would probably make other car guys wonder, "why?"

Just get some good SS skewers. That's what I use on the grill, and they clean up in the dishwasher, or with soap, water and a sponge.

SS can discolor, but only if you get it REALLY hot. SS headers on a car discolor over time, but they get REALLY hot. You are not likely to ever cook at those kinds of temperatures.

CD

Electroplating can fail over time. Solid stainless won't. There will be no peeling and no rust.

Thanks for the info on Electroplating (I might have meant "electropolishing"), I got it from here: https://www.marlinwire.com/blog/what-is-the-best-food-grade-stainless-steel

It looks at though the Germans win again, those Wüsthof cost from £2.50-£5.50, I am just now trying to find out why from the company. I don't cook on a high heat, in fact drying Jerky in the oven calls for the lowest possible temperature.

Will be back once I know what's going on with their steel..

Thanks for the info on Electroplating (I might have meant "electropolishing"), I got it from here: https://www.marlinwire.com/blog/what-is-the-best-food-grade-stainless-steel

It looks at though the Germans win again, those Wüsthof cost from £2.50-£5.50, I am just now trying to find out why from the company. I don't cook on a high heat, in fact drying Jerky in the oven calls for the lowest possible temperature.

Will be back once I know what's going on with their steel..

I think that you may be over-thinking this. I don't think you need to spend a lot of time, and money, solving your problem. I think most of us are saying the same thing, go with SS. It doesn't have to be an expensive brand, it just needs to be SS.

You are buying some new skewers, not a new car.

CD

Feedback from the Amazon UK seller of the linked skewers reveals the makeup of the alloy to be Stainless Steel 304, Ni>8.0%, Cr>17.0%.

Not as resistant to corrosion as 316, and with less Nickel as a result, but a result.

ref: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Cook-...pID=41M1dPsFgSL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

303 and 304 stainless is what is used for the fuel handling systems inside of a nuclear reactor to prevent any chance of corrosion. Even a tiny spot of rust subjected to radiation will become contaminated. If it's good enough for that, it pretty much has to be good enough for drying jerky.

I was a machinist for 33 years and the only time I ever worked with 316 SS was for the internal parts of a large pump for something in the food industry. That material is a pain in the rear to work with, which may explain why you don't see it too often, and generally only when it's actually necessary.

Back
Top Bottom