SMALL Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I don't have any idea when we will be able to move. Been looking but problem can't find house with large kitchen. Usually houses or older or else too expensive to buy. My question: Do you feel one of those kitchen islands would be worth the invest ment? If I took out the kitchen table I could replace it wit h that. I feel like working in a closet and starts to make me nervous. Hence, seems to take unnecessarily long to prepare the meals when if things were move handly would eliminate getting things together. I am sure many of you can relate to my problem and would like to know what are your th oughts about an island vs. kitchen table? Thanks for your time and understanding.

Do you have a dining room ITK? I would say go for the island if you do. Otherwise you should just try to make do with the table. Islands are generally a bit taller, so that they are at the right height to work on and tables aren't. BUT...you need a place to eat!

Eat:

Oh that's right. There I go thinking of myself again (kidding). You are so kind to think about us. They would have to eat in the dining room instead of kitchen. They like to be near the food so they can help themselves. Adjustments have to be worked out someway and I just figured the island looks nice. I guess I can dream until I get something different. Appreciate your thoughts. We visited someone who had one and she said she wouldn't be without. Of course, breakfast bar, pantry, Happy she has room.

I have found that I have to change my cooking style when I have a small kitchen. I love my mom's kitchen. It is big enough for multiple people to work in and there is a low counter for mixing.
I am going to look it the cutting boards that you can span the kitchen sink with. My new kitchen has very little counter space so I'm having to make sure I prep everything before I get started. That also makes the actuall cooking time seem to go faster.
An island would have been a good choice for my new kitchen, but I chose a metal rack so that I could keep what little counterspace I had uncluttered.

good luck. I know that a kitchen will be a priority for me when I go to buy a house. If it isn't big enough, I will make it big enough.

I can understand where you are coming from.........when we bought our house I had very limited counter space to work with { we're talking 14 inches of usable space } we were fortunate to be able to re-do ours. And added an island AND a pot rack. So I would say "go for it". And if room allows add an overhang {10-12 inches} for a "breakfast bar" which would let you still use some space for eating or entertaining. Good luck.

Agree

So you all agree a kitchen should be big. It truly depends on if you cook or not. Maybe if you don't just having the option is worth the investment. You all seem to understand my problem and thankful you agree with me. Since most of my family and friends work full time they all eat out or else tv dinners. They make fun and say I am not 'up with the in crowd'. When you have once prepared your own meals eating out just doesn't seem that great to me unless we go to restaurant where you have to dress for dinner. The idea of breakfast bar really sounds like something to investigate. Thank you for thinking of it. One t hing you have made me convinced to get the island and begin there. I see them in magazines but the kitchen seems big already without it. I like to look at kitchens. Guess we all do. As you said your mom has big kitchen I am happy for her. Bet she is good cook. Thanks for all you input I surely do appreciate it.

One more thing. Does anyone prefer Lowes to Home Depot ? That is where i saw the islands. Oprah goes to Home Depot.

I wouldn't think big necessarily - but certainly well designed and big enough to contain a good design. I think mine is big enough if it were just better designed. I, too, have thought about the island solution. Some even have one side for barstools, but I suppose it is sometimes easier to stick with what we have than make a decision (at least another decision).

ITK, I too, have a small kitchen. Would love to have an island, but not enough space/footage. You raise an interesting point about eliminating a seating/eating area and replacing it with an island for saving space and combining the two.

I am an avid watcher of HGTV and one of the shows I like is "I Want That." They show the latest kitchen/bath products out there and remakes of kitchen, baths, etc. I love all their shows - decorating makeovers, etc. I think the Learning Channel also has some decorating/remodeling ideas too.

Give the shows a look-see and go to their website. There are amazing ideas out there, and links to the products shown. BTW, not long ago, you could enter a contest to win a fantastic home, completely decorated with a spectacular view.

If you want to find a kitchen Island that will function as a breakfast bar as well, I would like to suggest going to a furniture store.
As a furniture designer, I can assure you that there has been a greater call from companies in the last few years to get really nice functioning islands. You can even buy matching stools.

Maybe you know this, but incase you weren't sure were to get one that combines the funtions....

To me the perfect kitchen is what you call a country kitchen. You prepair and eat in the same room. Only way to go. I think a dinning room is a waste of good space. If I could remodel my kitchen i would take out counter space that devides the kitchen and dinning room and make it one big room. Then rearrange my ccounter and cupboards.

I know the feeling. I live in an apartment and it gets crowded in our small kitchen with just 1 person in it. Can you say 'CRAMPED!'. When my brother and I get a house one of the requisites is to have a big kitchen with a working island in the middle - one that has a faucet/sink combo so I can do all my prep work there. Also will have a dining area in it so I can utilize the Dining Room area as a library for my gazillion or so books.:rolleyes:

I would think with all that is on the web, there would be a site where you could put in the dimensions of your kitchen and a plan (or several) would come up showing maximum use of that space. Surely there is such a thing and I just don't know about it. I realize some kitchens are tiny, but a kitchen shouldn't have to be humongous to be well planned. In fact, if the kitchen was really big, that would be another problem, unless there were several cooks, which in most kitchens isn't the case.

:) Look on the bright side at least with a small kitchen you can't make too big of a mess because you have to clean up after every step to have room to start the next one.

Table vs island is really personal preference. Right now I have a large, old (1854) country kitchen, so we have a small table-and-chairs set. I happen to have a dining room that everyone seems to love best of all. So hubby an I often do some of the prep work seated at our little table and chairs. Since the last remodel of the kitchen was done 40s style (it was actually done in the 70s, but the guys who owned it rescued cabinets from an older kitchen, so it looks like your typical 40s, 50s kitchen). An island would look awkward, and to be honest with you, I don't mind sitting at the table for some of the longer, more tedious kitchen chores.

I've cooked in more kitchens that I can possibly count. Lived on the road in a travel trailer for three years, and turned out some pretty spectacular meals in well under 2' of counter space. Small isn't better, but it does have its advantages. Small is great for handicapped cooks, for example. At any rate, there is something to be said for everything being within 2 or 3 steps!

What I hate is galley kitchens. For awhile all of my sisters had galley kitchens with doors that went into the garage (meaning it was the door most often used). Cooking in them is a royal pain in the patootie. You'd open the oven or fridge door, and in would come a car full of family. I'd get to be a dictator and make people walk around to the back or front doors when I was cooking. And everyone wants Claire to cook. I love to do it, but don't want babies and transients under foot when I'm taking something dangerouslly hot out of the oven. When we bought this house that was my #1 requirement. No Galley Kitchens.

Success

If you wait long enough you get what you want. Believe me this has been long wait. But well worth it since we got the island. One side flips up for table use main use for working on. It truly has made big difference. Thank you all for tolerating my complaining. Have had it for almost month now and still find I am having great time adjusting to it. If only one has the tolerance and finances to get what you dream about. Believe me I am so very thankful to all of you for your suggestions as I doubt if i would have pursued it as much as I did. Now if only I can get another fridge in there! Just teasing. I am happy at least for now.

Hey ITK............when we were looking for this house I too had in mind a big kitchen but nothing we saw was right for us. With this house the kitchen still wasn't big enough but there was an adjacent room and we opened the wall up to it to make an L shaped room where the family/dining room will be. We'll eliminate the kitchen table and use the dining room table instead. I plan to have an island on wheels. That way I can push it up to the wall when not in use and pull it out when I need it. Just something for you to think about when your househunting. Good Luck!

P.S. Glad you found an island you like. I'm still searching. In fact, I think I'm going to design and build my own to suite my taste and needs.

Sizz

Thanks Sizz, knew you would understand and know how I feel. Only if you have been there can one really feel the way they do. I don't understand about the newer homes. I have been looking but like you said no kitchen big enough. I know the older homes seem to still be right size. I know for fact people would rather have someone do the cooking but when it doesn't tast e as good, what do you do then? So thankful you got your new home and are figuring ways of making it work for you. Sounds like you got if figured out what your plans are. Your hubby knows in order to have good meals he better keep you happy. Cause you are worth it.

Having this different piece of furniture will keep me satisfied for while. I know you were always experiencing some kind of difficulty in selling or buying your home. I wish you and your family the best and as I said when you wait long enough it happens. Don't know what the reason but I leave it to the One who knows.

Good to hear from you and keep on keepin on. We'll get there, Sizz. Oh, one more thing. We have to set the clocks again. Spring forward. don't know the reason for that eith er.

Corey123 said:
I'm in an apartment that has a fairly decent size eat-in kitchen.

Just one of the bedrooms is small though.

~Corey123.

Count your blessings! I know everyone would want what you have. I know I would gladly have smaller bedroom. Just think of being able to move freely and have place for your recipes and spices. In my kitchen always const anly moving things to have them available. I am happy for you. I do know someone is living right.

Did anyone ever see Oprah's kitchen? Just by chance today I saw it. I don't know if she herself cooks or not but you should see the island she had.

Never saw Oprah's kitchen, but I DID see Martha Stewart's & Paula Deen's stuido kitchens which are set up exactly like their kitchens at home!

Yeah, I imagine I'm blessed to have an eat-in kitchen. But I've got so many small appiances that most of them are kept in the back room. I'm spoiled, I guess.

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom