Stainless Steel Vs. Cast Iron Pans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like cast iron for frying, searing meats, cornbread, and pizza.

I like clad stainless for sauces, seafood, and anything else you might consider delicate or that needs a lot of control and evenness.

I use cast iron for somethings and clad stainless for others. Most of my cast iron came from Grandma. We had to strip and re-season one skillet, but it looks and cooks better than most of our non-stick ever did. I love cast iron especially for things like corn bread, pineapple upside-down cake, and items that start on the stove top and end in the oven.

I mainly use stainless for things that are simply cooked on the stove top for many of the reasons already stated.

Disadvantages for cast iron is that it is heavy, and I am getting older. I don't mind the maintenance. For stainless, it stains terribly for me. I have a very old gas stove, and I have to scrub hard to get rid of some of the outside of the pan marks. Inside is not hard to get clean.

I have an assortment of both SS and CI. The iron is mainly skillets, griddles,
Dutch Ovens, and the like that lend themselves well to baking in the oven.

The Revere Ware SS with copper bottoms are handy, light weight, and clean up easily.

And I know it hasn't been mentioned, but I have some Corning Ware that I really like too. Amazing stuff it is.

Back
Top Bottom