Thinking about Cast Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow some great advice here on cast iron cookware and Andy gave some great advice, thanks. I have heard that if you cook fish on cast iron it absorbs the fish smell and you can't get rid of the smell ever. Has anyone had that experience?

Wow some great advice here on cast iron cookware and Andy gave some great advice, thanks. I have heard that if you cook fish on cast iron it absorbs the fish smell and you can't get rid of the smell ever. Has anyone had that experience?
My mum used to cook fish in a well seasoned cast iron skillet. She only ever washed it if she had cooked fish or made gravy in it. I never noticed a fish smell.

Frying chicken or fried anything for that matter is something I have never personally cooked in my life. I would love to give it a shot.

What type of oil is best to use? What heat do you put your stove? do you have to do anything to deal with the lowering of temp after putting food in?
How do you clean CI after all that oil?

There are many kinds of cooking oils: Some are plant-based, some are animal-based, and others are synthetics. I grew up with plant and animal-based cooking oils. For frying, you want an oil that can withstand high heat. I like corn oil for frying because it has a high smoke point (meaning it is harder to catch fire) but it does add a bit of flavor to food which puts some people off. Safflower also has a high flash point and does not add that flavor. Plus, it is a fairly healthy oil, but it is spendy compared to many other oils.

Momma used plain old Crisco. Vegetable-based, high flash point and did not add flavor to foods really.....plus, if you use the shortening, it makes pretty good pie crust...according to those who can make pie crusts. ;)

The real trick to frying is to get your oil hot enough prior to starting the frying. And to not put so much food in to fry that you significantly lower the temperature. Properly fried chicken = crispy on the outside, thoroughly cooked and juicy inside. Cooked in too low temperature = oil soaked coating and questionable inside. Too high temperature = burned outside and undercooked inside.

Using a cast-iron skillet really helps. Wash it up and dry it. Then heat it a bit to be sure it is dry and cool before putting it away.

Last edited:
No worries. I've fried fish in my CI pans, they cleaned up fine, no fishy smell.

While on the topic of pans, can anyone go over their favorite pan. What its uses are and how to maintain it.

i've been a teflon non stick user for a while, and I have recently discovered the danger of them.
But I don't know how to use or maintain any other type of pans.

One time I made tomato sauce in a stainless steel stockpot, or aluminum. Not sure which. But I didn't stir constantly and I scorched the bottom of the pan and ruined it.

Anyone have any insight on this pan?
Amazon.com: All-Clad Stainless 10-Inch Fry Pan: Kitchen & Dining

That pan is one of my favorites. Except for cast iron, I prefer tri-ply SS pans. The tri-ply is very effective to prevent scorching/burning of food as the aluminum layer is excellent at evenly distributing heat. The pan reacts quickly to changes in heat.

All-Clad is top notch in that category. However, check out the Cookware & More - Outlet for All-Clad Irregulars site. It offers cosmetically imperfect All-Clad for reduced prices. Well worth it.

That pan is one of my favorites. Except for cast iron, I prefer tri-ply SS pans. The tri-ply is very effective to prevent scorching/burning of food as the aluminum layer is excellent at evenly distributing heat. The pan reacts quickly to changes in heat.

All-Clad is top notch in that category. However, check out the Cookware & More - Outlet for All-Clad Irregulars site. It offers cosmetically imperfect All-Clad for reduced prices. Well worth it.

How imperfect are the pans, Andy? I would not mind a scratch. I don't want gouges or huge dents though. Could you describe how irregular your experiences have been?

How imperfect are the pans, Andy? I would not mind a scratch. I don't want gouges or huge dents though. Could you describe how irregular your experiences have been?

Sorry, I can't describe it. Every pan would be different. They are cosmetic and don't interfere with the function of the pan.

Sorry, I can't describe it. Every pan would be different. They are cosmetic and don't interfere with the function of the pan.

That's the important thing. After a year with me, my pans get scratches on the outside. Good prices! Thank you.

At CostCo today, we saw two Lodge Cast Iron skillets for $39.99. One was 10 inches and the other 8 inches, I think....

Last edited:
That's the important thing. After a year with me, my pans get scratches on the outside. Good prices! Thank you.

At CostCo today, we saw two Lodge Cast Iron skillets for $39.99. One was 10 inches and the other 8 inches, I think....

Check the Costco website. They have a 12" and a 10" with two silicone sleeves for the handles for $36.99.

Check the Costco website. They have a 12" and a 10" with two silicone sleeves for the handles for $36.99.

I'm sure that is it! I got the dimensions and cost off. Thank you for posting the correction. But they are made by Lodge and I thought it was a good deal! :)

Could you explain how to properly use a pan like this. I have no knowledge what so ever.

Do you need to season it? Will things stick to it? How do you preheat it and do you use butter or oil? etc etc

Food sticks to dirty pans and cold pans. So keep the pan clean and don't add foods to the pan until the pan and the fat are hot.

I use this skillet to cook meats hot and fast. I heat the pan until a droplet of water sizzles immediately upon contact. Then I add the fat, either butter or oil, and wait for it to get hot. Then I place the meat in the pan. The meat should be dry and seasoned with salt and pepper. Once the meat is in the pan, leave it alone. Don't try to move it because it's stuck to the pan. Let it cook for a minute or two. As the heat forms a crust on the meat, it will unstick itself from the pan. When that side is nicely browned, turn the meat over and repeat. Depending on the meat you are cooking, it should continue to cook at a lower temperature until it's properly cooked in the interior.

Never cut the meat open to see if it's done. You will lose all the juices. Use a digital instant read thermometer. Remove the meat to a plate and loosely cover it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.

When you heat meats to a high temperature, the proteins contract and the meat shrinks a little as a result. This contraction squeezes the juices out of the meat cells. When you let it rest, the meat cools, the cells relax a little, and those juices will be drawn back into the meat. That's why you don't cut meat to se if it's done. You lose the juices and end up with dry meat.

Last edited:
Cast iron pans are the way to go. Teflan limits the tools you can use while cooking and I find once they scratch they are no longer any good. You need to get a good cast iron pan and ensure that you apply oil after every use to build up a good seasoning which will lead it to be non-stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom