Wok Support

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spiidey

Assistant Cook
Perhaps a silly question but I have a Hoover gas hob currently, as pictured below:-

I would like to be able to use our wok (see pic below) on this, but at the moment the base of the wok keeps sliding about on the pan supports on the hob at the moment.

The base of the wok measures 14cm.

Is there a "wok support" I could get that would hold the wok in place and stop it sliding about?

If so, which support would be best?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to DC! There are rings specially made for woks on gas burners. I don't have a gas stove, but would think the rings are readily available.

Howdy! Welcome to D.C.!
There are many different styles of wok rings here are a couple.

025051c88da074cd03501210.L.jpg
images

Last edited:
I have one of these.

CNdWZ34Rr5pHFH5_o2Cge3QXw19OysPAdz2VBLqOLEIFKDYLaScdTRfoKXuR-T41NQQWcwQ9iVvNaKD8Mh9HK9zuGmBTv5YXPZiRusVA-bDtg2ql3K5D_hQ70xG-KrQazCfhjStNSdiUma46z777nklsaf3B3Q

If kind of locks on to the stove top and keeps the wok close to the flame. I like it a lot.

I have one of these.

CNdWZ34Rr5pHFH5_o2Cge3QXw19OysPAdz2VBLqOLEIFKDYLaScdTRfoKXuR-T41NQQWcwQ9iVvNaKD8Mh9HK9zuGmBTv5YXPZiRusVA-bDtg2ql3K5D_hQ70xG-KrQazCfhjStNSdiUma46z777nklsaf3B3Q

If kind of locks on to the stove top and keeps the wok close to the flame. I like it a lot.

That's a beautiful tool. Wherever did you find it?

Oops! Saw a similar rig online for $89.00. This is to me, overpriced for a circle of cast iron. I could just as easily take a cheap cast iron pan, drill it, grind it, and come up with as good a product for a quarter of that price.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
My woks have round bottoms so I've never used the wok stands. Unless one's cooking with lots of enthusiasm it's kinda difficult to tip over a wok! I also found that the stands are too high which decreases the amout of heat to the bottom of the wok. Mine set right on the tips of the flames and gets smokin' hot!

I use a flat bottom wok and it's stable on the burner grate. I tend to shake it back and for while stirring to move the ingredients around and have no issues.

The OP has not responded so I guess we can chat among ourselves until he does.

I too have a large, flat-bottome carbon steel wok, and use it on my gas stove with no issues. My only complaint is that it has wooden handles, which makes it unusable on a campfire. How cool would it be to whip up a great stir-fry out in the woods?:yum: Uncle Bob might roll his eyes at that picture.:LOL:

I have two flat bottom woks. The flat part is barely large enough to provide stability on the burner, the sides are curved enough to allow traditional wok style cooking where you push food up the sides to slow cooking, push stuff in the middle to apply more heat. Doesn't need any stand.

I too have a large, flat-bottome carbon steel wok, and use it on my gas stove with no issues. My only complaint is that it has wooden handles, which makes it unusable on a campfire. How cool would it be to whip up a great stir-fry out in the woods?:yum: Uncle Bob might roll his eyes at that picture.:LOL:

Too bad we're not closer, I'd loan you mine. My kids bought me a beautiful 20 inch carbon wok with metal handles. I love the thing but it's a tad too big for my burners. This is really funny as I bought the stove because of the big burner on the left, however, I still cannot get enough heat for a stir fry in the 20 incher. I do use it for braising and thought i might try smoking in it. Who knows.

Sometimes those wok rings don't seat too well over those spindly stovetop grates like what the OP has.
Perhaps a large square piece of expanded metal (diamond shaped BBQ smoker grates) placed over the cooktop grates will give the wok a more solid platform.

Thanks for all the replies.

Where would I be able to pick up a (not extortionately expensive) gadget like the one in post 5?

Ideally shipping within the UK.

Back
Top Bottom