Y Peeler Ouch!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RB, pick up some of the skin glue. They sell it over the counter now, just clean wound out well before you use it. You can also use super glue if you absolutely have to.

LOL - good for tiny slices that would get pushed on and knocked about... Just be forewarned... it STINGS on bigger slices when if it gets inside! :LOL:

Thanks Andy. Its gonna be awhile. Not to mention there are many nerve endings in a finger tip.

I am with Andy. I learned as a small child to peel veggies away from myself. (Wise Mother!) I have two straight peelers. One is the Oxo regular and the second one is an Oxo also, only the blade is meant for difficult peeling. The problem is, I love the one with the serrated blade and never use the plain straight one. It sits in the drawer along with the Y one that I got as a gift gathering dust. The very first serrated one I ever owned cost me the grand sum of $1.00 and lasted me for more than 15 years.

Do any of you still own and use what they call the Original Swedish Peeler? It is the all metal one your grandmother used. If you had a large family and a lot of veggies to peel, you had a very tired and sore hand when you were done.

Do any of you still own and use what they call the Original Swedish Peeler? It is the all metal one your grandmother used. If you had a large family and a lot of veggies to peel, you had a very tired and sore hand when you were done.

I don't, but I guarantee my mother still has a few .
I developed blisters from using them.

I hope I did not insinuate the peeler was the issue.
It’s my fault 100%. I should have known better and used extra caution with the new peeler design.

It’s still bleeding today. I got it on the bed sheets last night.
Today I got bigger bandaids with the film that keeps it from sticking to the wound. I am also hoping Neosporin will help for bandage changing. Keep it moist so removing the bandaid does not start it up bleeding again.
I am using tape around the finger to hold the bandaid real good.

It isn't a blame thing, IMO. People just work better with certain tools that other people don't work with. I've just come to the realization that me and mandolins do not belong in the same kitchen. :glare:

You need to see a doctor. That may need stitches or cauterization. It should have stopped bleeding by now. Also, when was your last tetanus shot? If it has been five or more years, you need another one.

It isn't a blame thing, IMO. People just work better with certain tools that other people don't work with. I've just come to the realization that me and mandolins do not belong in the same kitchen. :glare:

You need to see a doctor. That may need stitches or cauterization. It should have stopped bleeding by now. Also, when was your last tetanus shot? If it has been five or more years, you need another one.

Also, if it does need sutures and you are reluctant to go for them, then get some nice thick gauze pads, grab a good handful, three or four, wrap them around the injury and apply pressure for at least 30 minutes as firmly as you can. If the bleeding has stopped in that time, then place a clean dressing on it with the Neosporin. Just don't get it on the tape part on the dressing. Sit still while applying the pressure. Never mind reaching for the remote, or getting up to get anything. Thirty minutes of resting and sitting still will not hurt you. Good Luck!

BTW, cold water and a little soap will wash that blood right out of that sheet.

I take full responsibility for my injuries as well.
The design just doesnt work for me.
For me, it falls under the category " If it aint broke, don't fix it"
I never had a problem with the conventional peeler, I thought the Y Peeler would make it that much easier and efficient. Only thing it did for mesas give me battle scars. Im literally paranoid to use one now.
***MY 2500 post***

Sounds just how I feel. Thanks Larry

RB, pick up some of the skin glue. They sell it over the counter now, just clean wound out well before you use it. You can also use super glue if you absolutely have to.

This is a missing finger tip. Its not a cut. My finger is now flat on the top.
I'm not sure that type f product is designed for this type of injury?

I've been using that type (mine is the Oxo brand) for years now... much preferable to the traditional style that you use like whittling with a knife. Draw the peeler toward you rather than pushing away. Easy to control, and no fingertips in the way. Like Jenny says, I find it to be a lot faster than the traditional peeler. No problems, even with small, skinny carrots.

Sorry but I do not agree. I used this Y peeler exactly as you said. Your hand is under the vegetable you are peeling and if you do not keep all your fingers under the vegetable, what happened to me could happen again to anyone.
But, I do agree there is a learning curve with this Y peeler. For me the class is over.

My pharmacist also told me to see a doctor. But the non-stick bandaids and blue painters tape and a little time has stopped the bleeding.
It feels better as well.
I have no idea about the last tetanus shot.

Forget the skin glue, bandages, gauze, etc. Just start with a Kevlar glove. Much cheaper, and they don't hurt a bit!

Not a bad idea. I used to never get cut and I cooked even more when I was younger.
My skills have diminished I think and a glove is definitely something to consider.
I have had several knife cuts over a short period of time as well.

RB, just wanted to offer you a hug {{{you}}} and I'm glad the bleeding has stopped.

RB, just wanted to offer you a hug {{{you}}} and I'm glad the bleeding has stopped.
From me too.

A few years ago I was at a friend's house, helping with supper. All she had was a y peeler. I found it awkward to use and hated it. She said it was all you could find most places nowadays. I bought a spare straight peeler the next day.

Sent from my LG-V522 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I bought a spare straight peeler the next day.

Fine idea taxy! Think I will too. Although I do have two.

My first one from the mid 60's is worn on the side I used the most to the point I think the metal may be so thin as to break. It takes too much of the peel but I keep it around. Sometimes a lefthanded person comes and uses it.

I find the age makes it much sharper than the newer one which is probably a good 10 years or more old. I try to remember to use it in both directions to get both sides sharp.

That is very kind of you to say. It’s wonderful to know there are still decent, thoughtful people on this earth.
I changed my new bandaid (non stick) and rewrapped with tape and the wound looks better and the bleeding is stopped.
I am certain the non-stick bandaid was what I should have used.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and genuine concern.

Any suggestions in regard to a glove are appreciated.
Oh....I ordered the straight type peeler by Oxo today. Amazon Prime is a good thing.

Last edited:
That is very kind of you to say. It’s wonderful to know there are still decent, thoughtful people on this earth.
I changed my new bandaid (non stick) and rewrapped with tape and the wound looks better and the bleeding is stopped.
I am certain the non-stick bandaid was what I should have used.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and genuine concern.

Any suggestions in regard to a glove are appreciated.
Oh....I ordered the straight type peeler by Oxo today. Amazon Prime is a good thing.

Several of us on DC have these:

https://www.amazon.com/NoCry-Cut-Resistant-Gloves-Performance/dp/B00MXUHHGK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1524264057&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=no+cut+gloves+for+kitchen&psc=1"]No Cut Gloves[/URL]

I use them when I use my mandoline. They are really good for anything that slices.

My hubby will happily use the mandolin while wearing a cut resistant glove. Otherwise, just forget it. I feel much safer using the mandolin wearing one too.

Back
Top Bottom