Honey, Ginger, Soy Marinade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
Honey Ginger Soy Marinade

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 small clove garlic -- roughly chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons roughly chopped fresh ginger

In a food processor, process the soy sauce, garlic, oil, honey, dry
mustard, and ginger until the garlic and ginger are finely chopped and
well combined, 1 to 2 minutes (Or chop the garlic and ginger very
fine with a knife and then whisk all the ingredients together in a
bowl.) Cover and may be refrigerated for up to several weeks.

Great as a marinade for shrimp, scallops, salmon, pork, chicken - ok, maybe great for anything!!

**Originally posted by Filus

I don't if any of you have seen this, but a few producers are now selling ginger soy sauce. Infused with ginger oils maybe? I'm not real sure how it's put together, but it has worked very well for me. Obviously not as good as fresh ginger, but valuable if you need to save some time.

I do something very similar. I use maple syrup instead of honey and add 1/2 bottle of beer. It's very flavorful and good with any type of meat I've tried. I've never tried fish, though.

I mixed a marinade that is almost similar, but I did not add the honey in the beginning. I used the "Aloha" brand soy sauce (shoyu, as it is called in Hawaii) and it is sweet to begin with. I mixed the honey with a little soy sauce and brushed it on the meat (beef, chicken, or pork) during the last 5 minutes of grilling just to give the food a glaze. I used it on bake salmon (marinated for about an hour) and glazed it with honey and sprinkled sesame seeds before serving.

gemgirlco.com said:
This sounds so good. I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

It's pretty incredible, and very easy. It's one of my favorite marinades to use, and probably the one I most often throw together when I'm pressed for time. When cooking, if you reserve a little bit of the marinade, add a little extra honey and maybe a bit of brown sugar, you can add it to a stir fry dish during the last minute or so and get a really great glaze.

I would have to agree with College Cook. Especially if meat or fish is the main dish and veggies is the side dish, then stir frying the veggies with the reserve marinade (and a little bit of sesame oil) is a good idea. Oh yeah, put some marinade aside before throwing the meat or fish into the main marinade.

Aloha,
Restless

Kitchenelf

Your Honey, Ginger, Soy Marinade sounds delicious. I must try it. Thank you so much for the receipt.

I hope you and your family have a great Sunday.

Jill and Jolie

I've just googled these ingredients to do this exact thing. :) A 6 year old thread and it's still helping.
89662290.gif

I added some star anise and heated it through to get some of the flavour out of the spices, I also added some cornflour to help it stick when I flip the breasts in the marinade. Out of curiosity, is there a reason warming a marinade to bring the flavours together isn't normally recommended in recipes? (As you can guess, I don't do marinades that often.)

Also one of my all-time favorite marinades. Mustard can be swapped with anything that will balance with honey. I, too, swear it goes with anything,
meat or vegetable.

Back
Top Bottom