Marinade for prime rib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oppose

Cook
hey everyone, well i just got a sweet looking prime rib from the butchers, about 1 inch thing 1.5lbs. hows this sound for a marinade, red wine, pineapple juice n chunks, 3 cloves of garlic crushed, thyme, sage, and rosemary? anything i should add or take out? thanks

Personally I would take it all out. It shouldn't need tenderizing, and unless you just don't like the taste of good beef, why put anything on it to change the flavor...I suggest S&P and a little garlic.

Enjoy!

i guess im just in a marinating mood lol. im actually going with just 2 gloves of garlic chopped, some taragon and sage and some french red wine. gonna let it rock for an hour or two.

pRIME RIB FOR MARINADE. yOU ARE A MURDERER. (oops, sorry). Prime ribe is called Prime because it is a prime piece of meat. All it needs is Salt and Pepper, well I like paprika on everything. This is a part of meat you really should taste the meat. Not marinade, not seasoning.

the butcher is literally across the street and there are alot of days in the year.

Gotta agree with all of the posters who say it is a crime to marinate a prime rib.

There are a lot of cuts of meat that can be helped by a human's tinkering, but in my humble opionion prime rib ain't one of them.

If you insist on marinating it here's my favorite marinade for tender cuts.

Put the steak in a shallow container whose walls are taller than the steak. For your amount of meat I would crush 6-8 cloves of garlic, and maybe 3-4 TB of crushed pepper. Now fill the container with extra virgin olive oil, just enough to cover the meat, and let it sit for at least a day, and up to 3 in your fridge, covered.

Then cook it however you like.

It is not nice to murder prime rib with marinadies S&P is all you need
:)You are so right,a prime cut needs nothing but salt and pepper maybe a drop or two of worchestershire.Thats it, marinades are designed for tougher cuts of meat.Sure a marinade on chicken or shrimp is good but no more than 30 minutes.I will marinade a filet mignon in a red wine marinade but again no longer than 30 minutes just to add some flavor nothing more.I think marinades are over used especially on good cuts of beef.A good cut of beef needs nothing but a good sear and salt and pepper.I know people who will take super expensive steaks cover them with tons of worchestershire,a ton of fresh herbs and seasoned salt and let them marinate 24 hours.The result?A mouth full of seasoning no beef flavor.Soo marinated you cant tell its beef.
Nope, a good piece of prime beef is meant to be eaten as close to its natural form as possible.Again its the good sear that brings out the flavor.

Personally I would take it all out. It shouldn't need tenderizing, and unless you just don't like the taste of good beef, why put anything on it to change the flavor...I suggest S&P and a little garlic.

Enjoy!

Uncle Bob, great minds must think alike! :ROFLMAO: Your words are exactly the ones that came into my head when I saw this thread topic. And when I saw "pineapple juice" in the first post, I knew I had to put in a protest! :ohmy:

I totally agree -- IMO it would be a huge mistake (and waste) to marinate prime rib/

In addition, tarragon and sage are not generally used to season beef.

Pineapple juice should be used only on tough cuts. The enzymes break down protein. It would make your prime rib mushy.

OK...another angle.

Season with S&P and throw it on the grill to your liking. Then make a dipping sauce with the flavors you mentioned. I've had 40 clove of garlic rib roasts, BBQ prime rib, side of Jus, etc. Flavors sound good....just think they would work better as a sauce.

-J

bbq salt and paprika, alittle onion powder and a touch garlic. As for marinade, I have to disagree. Put a rub on her. Then id rock out with A1 sauce at serving time.

I was watching a show where the guy built a sauce with red wine, wild mushrooms and some cream and reduced it, he then poured it on the sliced medium rare rib. He had a good lookin rub on her with garlic, brown sugar and onion salt.

He also made roasted carrots and i think i saw twice baked potatoes.

bbq salt and paprika, alittle onion powder and a touch garlic. As for marinade, I have to disagree. Put a rub on her. Then id rock out with A1 sauce at serving time.

Mikey... a rub is not a marinade! and even a rub better not be left on too long, or the tissue will break down and you'll end up with mush. It may be flavorful, but it will still be mush! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom