Strictly Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coballs

Assistant Cook
I'm a chicken eater. I love it. It helps my bones grow like milk helps kids.

I need out of the ordinary and some ordinary list of chicken marinades because I eat it so much I get tired of the same ole salt and pepper. I also got reamed out by a bunch of you for mentioning italian dressing and how that is outdue. So wet marinades, dry herbs, fresh herbs. Whatever, you name it I'll try it.

The sky is the limit, man. For real.

personally, I don't eat a lot of chicken, and if I do, it's dark meat, or it's already cooked(thank you Pollo A la Brassa).

I like to marinate in a mix of soy, brown sugar(a lot, enough to off set the saltiness of the soy), mirin, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, green onions, and cilantro. Make the marinade separately, and reserve some of it, as it cooks down wonderful, and add a little crushed red pepper flakes. . .anywho, marinate your bird(boneless skinless thighs for me), 6 hours is good, over night is better, and sear off really well, finish in the oven, then julienne, toss with some sweated diced peppers and onion, add some of the reserved marinade that you have cooked down a bit and thickend with a slurry, and viola: The best "Bourbon" Chicken you have ever had.

For a more laid back, easy breezy marinade, I use this for almost all of my airline stlye chicken breasts: Balsamic, lemon zest, minced basil, minced rosemary, minced garlic, and olive oil. I typically put the bird boobs in a large zip top freezer bag, add the marinade, and massage the bird until well worked, and just let 'em be. Again, 6 hours is good, over night is better. Grill 'em, pan sear 'em, it's all good.

I like to take prefab Jerk Seasoning(dry), mix in just enough Sweet Thai Chili sauce to make it a paste, add a hand full of chopped green onion, a little vanilla extract, 2 whole star anise, a splash of cider vinegar, and marinate 8 cut chicken for a day. Best over a charcoal grill, and simple garnished with caramelized pineapple, and cilantro.

Beer can chicken, just Google it, that should keep ya busy for a month or two. The marinades run far and wide, but the technique is GREAT. Instead of using beer, I use margarita mix, with a bird that has been marinated with Onion, garlic, cilantro, lime, pepper, oil, tequila, cumin, chili powder, and sea salt. Margarita Chicken anyone?

I KNOW a million and six people will chime in with suggestions, so I'm done for now. Just remember: Chicken s Chicken. You can do it every which way but raw(unless you are in japan, yes they do Chicken Sashimi). It adapts to almost EVERY flavor profile you can think of, and is used the world over. the sky is the limit.

So sorry about the reaming out for the Italian dressing marinade. Go to our recipe section and you will find a plethera of recipes for chicken. I think you will find one that you really like and will wonder why did you ever use the Italian dressing in the first place. :yum:

So sorry about the reaming out for the Italian dressing marinade. Go to our recipe section and you will find a plethera of recipes for chicken. I think you will find one that you really like and will wonder why did you ever use the Italian dressing in the first place. :yum:

No ma'am! It is a practice that must be broken! lol. The good sir here is going into the Culinary field, hopefully he can pass on the banishment of Italian dressing as the "Go To" Chicken marinade!

Mediterranean Chicken Dishes A to Z

:chef: Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Clever posting idea & thank you.

There are 3 million plus recipes for chicken, however, some of our faves are:

1. roast and savoury stuffed

2. chicken salad ( We like the 1953 Le Cordon Bleu recipe prepared for Queen Elizabeth II´s Inauguration )

3. B B Q

4. Chicken soup - home made of course

5. southern fried ( on rare occasion )

6. Chicken Normandy style with cider and Calvados Apple Brandy in oven

7. Chicken stuffed and wrapped in Pastry with wild mushrooms & Proscuitto di Parma or one can employ bacon

8. coq au vin

9. Basque Chicken with red bell pepper, red Piquillo Peppers & tomato with Serrano or Jabugo Black Foot Iberian acorn fed ham

10. chicken picata

11. chicken scallopine with marsala

12. chicken kiev - filled with spinach or parsley and butter

13. chicken jalfrezi or tandoori or kika ( Indian dishes )

14. Greek chicken with lemon

15. Tagine Moroccan chicken with lemons and cous cous

16. Thai style BB Q

17. Chicken e Proscuitto di Parma alla Parmigiana

18. Chicken stuffed with Basil Pesto al Genovese ( Recipe in Ethnic Section - Margi Cintrano )

18 Off top of think tank ...

Have wonderful summer.
Margaux. :)

Coballs: Chicken Photos

Buon Giorno Coballs, ( Good Morning ),

Here a few photos ...

Attachments

• POLLO CON LIMON.jpg
    POLLO CON LIMON.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 313
  • POLLO DE LA CORONACIÓN.jpg
    POLLO DE LA CORONACIÓN.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 247
Coballs: A Couple of More Chicken Photos

1. Normandy Chicken with Cider & Calvados
2. Chicken with wild mushrooms & edible flower salad

By: Margaux Cintrano.

Attachments

• cider chicken.jpg
    cider chicken.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 262
  • chicken breast and mushrm salad with flowers.jpg
    chicken breast and mushrm salad with flowers.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 238
I'm a chicken eater. I love it. It helps my bones grow like milk helps kids.

I need out of the ordinary and some ordinary list of chicken marinades because I eat it so much I get tired of the same ole salt and pepper. I also got reamed out by a bunch of you for mentioning italian dressing and how that is outdue. So wet marinades, dry herbs, fresh herbs. Whatever, you name it I'll try it.
tatts right coballs.there are a million & one marinades,seasonings & rubs for chicken and,like tatt,i usually just eat the thighs/drummers.thats were the flavour & moisture lies.i also usually cook my thighs etc skinless,but on the bone.why flavour the skin...once it's gone it's gone,the bone provides flavour,retains shape for the meat & gives you something to hold on to
skinless,as well as allowing the seasoning to penetrate into the meat also cuts down on the fat/cals.here's a wet one & a dry one,
chicken souvlaki:score your skinless/bone in thighs & drummers.mix juice of 1 lemon,good glug of evoo,tbls red wine vinegar,finely sliced garlic to taste,dried oregano,salt & pepper.chuck everything in a ziplock food bag with the chicken.massage the marinade into the chicken,toss the bag in the fridge forget about it for a min of 2 hrs...pref all day.take out chicken & griddle,grill,bake...whatever you like as long as you get some charred bits on there
paprika chicken:chicken as for souvlaki.mix paprika or smoked paprika(you choose)cayenne,little bit of cornstarch,little bit of caster sugar,dried marjoram,salt.white pepper,little bit of dried cumin.coat the chicken in the dry mix,wait for the moisture from the chicken to soak through the coating,coat again.bake at high heat in the oven

Wow, what a list, thanks for all the ideas Margi :)

:chef: Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Clever posting idea & thank you.

There are 3 million plus recipes for chicken, however, some of our faves are:

1. roast and savoury stuffed

2. chicken salad ( We like the 1953 Le Cordon Bleu recipe prepared for Queen Elizabeth II´s Inauguration )

3. B B Q

4. Chicken soup - home made of course

5. southern fried ( on rare occasion )

6. Chicken Normandy style with cider and Calvados Apple Brandy in oven

7. Chicken stuffed and wrapped in Pastry with wild mushrooms & Proscuitto di Parma or one can employ bacon

8. coq au vin

9. Basque Chicken with red bell pepper, red Piquillo Peppers & tomato with Serrano or Jabugo Black Foot Iberian acorn fed ham

10. chicken picata

11. chicken scallopine with marsala

12. chicken kiev - filled with spinach or parsley and butter

13. chicken jalfrezi or tandoori or kika ( Indian dishes )

14. Greek chicken with lemon

15. Tagine Moroccan chicken with lemons and cous cous

16. Thai style BB Q

17. Chicken e Proscuitto di Parma alla Parmigiana

18. Chicken stuffed with Basil Pesto al Genovese ( Recipe in Ethnic Section - Margi Cintrano )

18 Off top of think tank ...

Have wonderful summer.
Margaux. :)

Fotos from Margaux´s Mediterranean Collection

Here are fotos taken by Margaux ...

Have a lovely Summer ...

1) CHICKEN SAVOURY PASTRY TART
2) Stuffed chicken breast in pastry
3) Roast chicken in oven

Attachments

• chicken savoury pie.jpg
    chicken savoury pie.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 235
  • chicken stuffed.jpg
    chicken stuffed.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 239
  • roast pollo.jpg
    roast pollo.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Since getting laying hens, we have more or less stopped eating chicken...it has lost its appeal! However, chicken could be the meat-eaters tofu--it is such a mild meat, it takes seasoning well and that is why there are so many ways to make chicken. What is it about the marinade you've made your "go-to" marinade that you like? What do you dislike about other marinades? Figuring these two things out might help identify the types of marinades/dishes you will like.

One of my favorite ways to prepare chicken is roasted in a camp dutch oven. Butter mixed with whatever herbs are on hand rubbed over and under the skin, S&P. Place a rack under the bird to keep it off the cast iron. I have even used well washed stones to serve as a rack. I add little, usually no, water. Coals underneath and on the lid. Add more as needed. The last 20 minutes, add some extra coals to the lid to give it a nice browning. Mighty easy to do and mighty easy to eat.

Last edited:
I make this sometimes, it's fast and easy to prepare, tho not real fancy.

Cut up some chicken into fairly small pieces. The meat off a large drumstick is enough for one person. Liberally sprinkle the chicken with some curry powder and work it in, let sit for maybe 10 min or longer while you prepare the other items.
Dice up a stalk of celery, some diced onion and microwave it for 30 seconds to soften them up.
Place a serving of frozen green peas in a covered dish with a bit of water and microwave that for about 2 min or until cooked. Keep celery and peas and onion and chicken ready to add to a serving of instant rice. Saute the chicken pieces until cooked. Cook the rice. Afterwards, add about half a tablespoon of butter to the cooked rice along with some more curry powder and salt (to taste). Add in the celery, peas, onion, chicken and mix together.

Last edited:
Easy I like to make this freeze half and serve it over white rice. take 6 whole chicken breasts halved and in a heavy skillet brown the chicken in 2-3 tab. butter. Stir in 1 teas. curry powder into the pan juices. Blend in 1/2 cup of plum jam and 1/4 cup of cream sherry and pour over the chicken. Cover each piece of chicken with 1-2 slices of fresh sliced lemon, cover the skillet and simmer 30-40 min. Remove chicken to a heated serving platter and keep warm, Boil pan juices to reduce slightly then spoon over the chicken and serve. Nice served over white or brown rice. enjoy
kadesma

I like to marinate in a mix of soy, brown sugar(a lot, enough to off set the saltiness of the soy), mirin, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, green onions, and cilantro. Make the marinade separately, and reserve some of it, as it cooks down wonderful, and add a little crushed red pepper flakes. . .anywho, marinate your bird(boneless skinless thighs for me), 6 hours is good, over night is better, and sear off really well, finish in the oven, then julienne, toss with some sweated diced peppers and onion, add some of the reserved marinade that you have cooked down a bit and thickend with a slurry, and viola: The best "Bourbon" Chicken you have ever had.

For a more laid back, easy breezy marinade, I use this for almost all of my airline stlye chicken breasts: Balsamic, lemon zest, minced basil, minced rosemary, minced garlic, and olive oil. I typically put the bird boobs in a large zip top freezer bag, add the marinade, and massage the bird until well worked, and just let 'em be. Again, 6 hours is good, over night is better. Grill 'em, pan sear 'em, it's all good.

I like to take prefab Jerk Seasoning(dry), mix in just enough Sweet Thai Chili sauce to make it a paste, add a hand full of chopped green onion, a little vanilla extract, 2 whole star anise, a splash of cider vinegar, and marinate 8 cut chicken for a day. Best over a charcoal grill, and simple garnished with caramelized pineapple, and cilantro.

Beer can chicken, just Google it, that should keep ya busy for a month or two. The marinades run far and wide, but the technique is GREAT. Instead of using beer, I use margarita mix, with a bird that has been marinated with Onion, garlic, cilantro, lime, pepper, oil, tequila, cumin, chili powder, and sea salt. Margarita Chicken anyone?

These are all great ideas! In fact I copied off the quote above to a local copy to consider for future ideas. (BTW I prefer dark meat too.)

I divide chicken cookery into about four main categories:

• whole chickens (or the whole chicken cut up)
  • boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • all similar pieces, usually bone in with skin (breasts, thighs)
  • ground chicken
  • chicken cut up into bite sized pieces
I often roast whole chickens. The procedure is ridiculously simple. Preheat your oven, wash off the chicken, put it on a rack and into the oven, and monitor its internal temperature via probe or periodic manual readings, when it reaches target temperature take it out, it's done.

This is the functional equivalent of buying a roasted chicken hot at your supermarket. Can be used for about anything. They're good just as they come out of the oven (or store). Usually served skin-on for maximum taste. Or rip the meat out and use in tacos, just add the usual lettuce, onion, tomatoes, maybe cilantro and/or cheese, and taco sauce. Or use in any recipe that calls for cooked chicken, e.g.. lasagne or enchiladas.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are more or less protein substrates, having only a mild chicken flavor and begging to have flavor added by breading and/or sauces. Their blandness is key to this strategy. Pound them and bread them and use them for Chicken Parmesan or any number of recipes with or without breading. I particularly favor the French mother sauces to give taste to this mild tasting cut. The French mother sauces may seem intimidating at first but make a few and they will become second nature, and will give you infinite variety when you make child recipes of these mother sauces. (That is of course why they are called mother sauces!)

All similar pieces: You can buy all breasts, all thighs, all drumsticks, usually skin on and bone in. These are ideal for BBQ and I'm a leg man! :) Or marinate them with your preferred marinade (or better, try everybody else's until you find ones you like). My particular favorites are (1) store bought BBQ sauce (KC Masterpiece) or Thai BBQ recipes (Google that; my Gai Yang recipe is conspicuously missing from the top 10! ;))

Ground chicken: Stuff things with it, particularly bell peppers (Greek recipes abound) or make tacos as a healthier version of beef tacos. (Myself I usually prefer chicken or beef pieces in tacos, but many people start out tacos as ground meat.) Or make chicken meatloaf!

And finally, chicken cut up into bite sized pieces: AKA "Asian style," and again there are too many recipes to cover, stir fries, curries and many other recipes, including Italian, chicken pieces sauteed often with other vegetables and served over pasta.

Chicken is popular because it has a mild taste and can take on the taste of many flavor enhancing ingredients and spices, and because it is more affordable than many alternatives particularly beef.

Easy I like to make this freeze half and serve it over white rice. take 6 whole chicken breasts halved and in a heavy skillet brown the chicken in 2-3 tab. butter. Stir in 1 teas. curry powder into the pan juices. Blend in 1/2 cup of plum jam and 1/4 cup of cream sherry and pour over the chicken. Cover each piece of chicken with 1-2 slices of fresh sliced lemon, cover the skillet and simmer 30-40 min. Remove chicken to a heated serving platter and keep warm, Boil pan juices to reduce slightly then spoon over the chicken and serve. Nice served over white or brown rice. enjoy
kadesma

Thanks Kades :)

Back
Top Bottom