Watering down my marinade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
Grilled Leeks

To marinade my leeks (I actually use full-blown leeks, cut into thirds and then lengthways), I put the pieces in a plastic, water-tight sandwich box, load in the marinade and then turn the box over every few minutes and maybe give it a shake. The problem is, that the marinade is a bit thick, and there doesn't appear to be enough to cover the leeks. Would it be advisable to add water to the recipe to thin it a bit? I figure it'll just evaporate under the grill anyway?

If you want to water it down because it is thick, it shouldn't matter too much. The acid component is the only strongly flavoured element there but if it is to cover the leeks, why not try a zip lock bag instead? You probably won't need as much that way.

Will see if I can get some zip-lock bags, but in the mean-time, watering down seems to work well enough. Could someone advise me; at the end, should the leeks retain much moisture and be as chewy as a leek can be, or should they be drier and crunchier? I think I prefer the crunchier (leeks can be so squeaky against my teeth if they're chewy) but if I was to serve this at a posh restaurant, what would be expected?

I have never had a crunchy (or squeaky) leek, except for those deep fried leek strands put on a dish for decoration. To me, a leek should be soft and pliable in the same manner that you would serve onions. But countries differ in the presentation of items, so the norm in a restaurant here will be different to that of the US or the Netherlands. I wouldn't expect a crunchy leek in a restaurant here but I also wouldn't anticipate being served an uncut length of leek, but to have it sauted or roasted (in halves) until soft.
HTH

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom