Another rub!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
KC DRY RUB

makes 3 cups

1 cup sugar
¼ cup seasoned salt
¼ cup garlic salt
¼ cup celery salt
¼ cup onion salt
½ cup paprika
3T ancho chile powder
2T black pepper
1T lemon pepper
2tsp. sage
1tsp. dry mustard
½ tsp. ground thyme
¼ tsp. cayenne

Sift everything together and store in a jar. Sprinkle onto meats to be grilled. Let stand for at least 1 hour before grilling.

Note this can be stored in a tightly sealed jar in the pantry -well, for a long time!

Thanks marmalady for sharing :)
I think I'll be trying it soon, I wanted to ask though is it sugary a little? Like most BBQ sauces? I'm just guessing that from the 1 cup sugar ?

Moonlight, rubs and sauces are different. Rubs are dry and go on before cooking; sauces go on ONLY at the end or after you take the meat off the cooker.

mudbug said:
Moonlight, rubs and sauces are different. Rubs are dry and go on before cooking; sauces go on ONLY at the end or after you take the meat off the cooker.

Thanks for clarifying :) I sometimes have my sauces on before cooking!! I mess alot when it comes to grilling!

If your sauces have sugar or honey and you put them on early in the cooking process they are going to burn; sugarless sauces are going to dry out.

Rainee can probably also give you some good tips--she appears to be the champion BBQ-er around here.

Mudbug is correct.

You can use a rub from the start and serve a dry rib, or sauce on the side.
You can use a rub from the start and then apply sauce for about the last 15-20 minutes of cooking.

Tx for catchin'my back on the answers, folks - I was out of town all weekend, and just caught this!

This makes a LOT of rub; you can store the leftovers in a tightly sealed jar. Yes, it is a lot of sugar, but it's similar to putting sugar in a brine. It has some sort of reaction with the meat. The rub is a Kansas CIty rub, and their sauces and rubs tend to be on the 'spicy-sweet' side.

I just wanted to say that I tried the Kc rub yesterday. I used cube steak. It came out unbelievable!!! The flaver seeped into the entire steak and had so much charachter. It was like a party for taste buds. Husband was very impressed. Thanx

I would like to see more rubs if anybody knows.

Back
Top Bottom