TNT WOW Spice Rub from Julia Child

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
What a great rub this is. When I first read it I thought it did not sound like something for meat, but rather for a Danish. But I finally decided to try it, and my pork chop was wonderful, best way fixed in a long time. (Julia Child "The Way To Cook") Uses all dried herbs.

QUOTE FROM JULIA CHILD: A sojourn of several hours or overnite in the following spice mixture gives pork chops, roasts, and sausage meat an exceptionally fine flavor; a jar of it in your spice rack is useful lto have on hand. She also says it would be good on goose and duck.

Yield about 1-1/2 cups
Place all ingredients in a spice/coffee mill and grind.

2 Tbs each ground: imported bay leaf, clove, mace (I left out as I did not have any), paprika and thyme.

1 Tbs each ground: allspice, cinnamon, and savory.

5 Tbs white peppercorns, ground. (I used my usual mix of pepper corns, black, white, green, pink and allspice).

Blend all herbs/spices together and store in a air tight jar.
Proportions to use: Up to 1/2 tsp per pound of meat.

I served the pork chop, another of her recipes in the same section, with Cream and Mushrooms. I sauted sliced mushrooms in butter and olive oil until the just started to carmelize, then added finely chopped shallots and sauted until shallots softened. I added 2 Tbs chicken stock, cap full of Italian white vermouth and simmered until reduced and thickened, corrected the seasonings, added a little butter and melted. Added 2 Tbs sour cream and stirred until blended (do not boil) and poured over chop, garnished with chopped fresh parsley. IT WAS WONDERFUL

Thanks for the heads up Norge:)

I have that book also and must have missed that. Will give it a try as it sounds like you pork chop was delish:)
Thanks again.
kadesma

kadesma said:
Thanks for the heads up Norge:)

I have that book also and must have missed that. Will give it a try as it sounds like you pork chop was delish:)
Thanks again.
kadesma

If I am no mistaken, it was on page 293 or 294, where the pork chops are described, it is one of her 'notes' she puts in a little box. The mushroom sauce was done on page 313.

Thanks Norge, I've made the mushroom sauce and we all loved it..I served it with pork tenderloin..Asparagus roasted in EVOO, salt and crushed black pepper, then when cool, some parmesan grated over the top..Some butter smashed boiled baby fingerling potatoes, salad and rolls..

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
Thanks Norge, I've made the mushroom sauce and we all loved it..I served it with pork tenderloin..Asparagus roasted in EVOO, salt and crushed black pepper, then when cool, some parmesan grated over the top..Some butter smashed boiled baby fingerling potatoes, salad and rolls..

kadesma:)

Your menu sounds great, kadesma. Pleased you enjoyed it.

Must ADD A NOTE HERE: I tried the Child rub on a chicken breast and either I used too much of it or it just is not suited for chicken. Perhaps some would like it, but on the chicken I could taste too much of the cinnamon and other 'sweetish' stuff spices..

norgeskog said:
Your menu sounds great, kadesma. Pleased you enjoyed it.

Must ADD A NOTE HERE: I tried the Child rub on a chicken breast and either I used too much of it or it just is not suited for chicken. Perhaps some would like it, but on the chicken I could taste too much of the cinnamon and other 'sweetish' stuff spices..
Thanks for letting me know...Will only use a little if I decide to us chix..Thanks Norge:)
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom