Using Rubs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They need to sit much longer than that. I would go 24 hours or even longer if you can. Put the rub on and wrap tightly in plastic wrap as well.

AB's recipe called for at least 1 hour only. From the tasty result, I think the rub penetrated the meat quite sufficiently after the 2 hours I gave it. My only problem was the liquid seepage.

But your suggestion is worth the try. Next time I'll leave it in cling wrap for 24 hours. Another time I'll try holding the salt. Thanks!

What the longer time in the fridge will do is give all that liquid that came out a chance to soak back in. That takes some time. After 24 hours (or 12 or whatever) you not see that pool of liquid on top as it will be back inside the meat.

If and when you try it, let us know how it worked out for you.

I've never used rubs before. What is the difference between a rub and a marinate, and why use rub if only the skin or the portions outside get the flavor ?

A rub (also know as dry rub) does not have liquid. A marinade does. A marinade will also have an acid of some sort.

The rub will penetrate the meat completely. It does not just flavor the skin and outside portions.

GB is correct. And as a point of fact, marinades that contain acidic ingredients such as vinager, or wine, only penetrate the outer layer, or skin of the meat, as the meat protiens react to the acid by tightening into a barrier and stop further penetration into the meat tissue.

Rubs and brines on the other hand, work through a phenomenon called osmotic pressure. The greater concentration of salts and other flavorings on the outside will get pulled into the meat until the concentrations are equal, inside and out.

A general rule of thumbs is that 20 minutes in a marinade is as good as two days, and rubs should be left on for a minimum of 4 hours, with 24 being the optimum for flavor transfer.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I need to add that I watched an episode of Good Eats where AB explained how the salt extracted the liquid and when it re-absorbed it sucked in some of the flavors of the rest of the spices. I'd agree with GB, it needs more than a few hours to really re-absorb that "juice" to make it truly effective.

As promised GB, I left the rub on the ribs for 24 hours at least, and wrapped the whole shebang in cling wrap. There was definitely less liquid seepage this time. You were so right. Thanks! :)

I used to do that with the ribs - let them marinate with the dry rub overnite.

But now, I just put the dry rub on the ribs just before putting them in the oven to slow cook for about 8 hours on the lowest possible setting. And they still come out moist and fall-off-the-bone tender!:chef:

Last edited:
I finally got to try holding off the salt from the dry rub. I let the ribs sit in the rub for a couple hours, then added the salt right before cooking. The result? The moistest, most tender rib meat I've ever done. There was no liquid seepage during the dry marinating, meaning no evidence of moisture being extracted from the meat. The flavor of the meat was not affected by the timing of the salt's addition.

I've done this new procedure twice already and the results were the same both times. I'll never go back to adding salt into the dry rub again :)

I finally got to try holding off the salt from the dry rub. I let the ribs sit in the rub for a couple hours, then added the salt right before cooking. The result? The moistest, most tender rib meat I've ever done. There was no liquid seepage during the dry marinating, meaning no evidence of moisture being extracted from the meat. The flavor of the meat was not affected by the timing of the salt's addition.

I've done this new procedure twice already and the results were the same both times. I'll never go back to adding salt into the dry rub again :)

Adding salt just before cooking; an interesting concept indeed. Thanks. This idea needs further investigation, and I just happen to have some ribs in the freezer.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sounds great, but how 'bout no salt at all?? I'm on a salt-free diet, and after a couple of weeks of it I don't miss the salt at all. In fact lots of things are already too salty without adding any more. (and my BP is way down)

Sounds great, but how 'bout no salt at all?? I'm on a salt-free diet, and after a couple of weeks of it I don't miss the salt at all. In fact lots of things are already too salty without adding any more. (and my BP is way down)

Nothing wrong with not salting the meat.

I never salt my ribs, either in the rub or before cooking.

Hott Magazine - link to my Backyard BBQ recipes (from Episode #4)

In and amongst the silliness is my recipe for a rib rub with no salt and plenty of flavor.

Recipe for my no-added-salt mop sauce is also on there.

I don't buy into Paul Prudhomme's assertion that salt is a requirement for good rub.

Could I use a rub and then freeze the meat? Or would it be easyer to put a rub on while defrosting?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom