What is "fish rub"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmar

Senior Cook
The recipe calls for
2 teaspoons fish rub (such as Emeril's)

and I'd like to use a substitute that would keep me from having to buy it. It's used on scallops and in a salad dressing for the same dish, so I am guessing it's a spice blend of some sort. But does anyone know what I could substitute?

I found it is:
Ingredients: salt, sugar, paprika, orange juice powder, lemon peel, granulated onion and other spices.

Would using a 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon of grated lemon peel produce something similar?

Last edited:
I don't have any onion powder, so I was trying to avoid any spices I don't have. I could add some sugar though. So maybe 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon sugar iwith the 1/2 teaspoon of paprika and lemon peel?

The only reason I'm a bit concerned is because it goes with other stuff... but I think the only stuff the flavor may matter with is the avocado, and pineapple in the salad. And mango in the dressing.

When we went to get trouting out west awhile back a friend showed me a fish rub or as he called it tickling trout. He would find a shady spot it seemed that was somewhat shallow where the trout would be hiding. He would then slowly slide his hand in the water so as not to startle the trout. He then slid his fingers under the trout. He would then rub the trouts belly moving his fingers and the trout would go limp in his hand and he could take it out of the water.
I always thought that was a fish rub.

When I was at a Rondezvous out west a guy Id met took me trouting and showed me a fish rub or as he called it tickling trout. He would find a shady spot it seemed that was somewhat shallow where the trout would be hiding. He would then slowly slide his hand in the water so as not to startle the trout. He then slid his fingers under the trout. He would then rub the trouts belly moving his fingers and the trout would go limp in his hand and he could take it out of the water
I always thought that was a fish rub.

Ummmm. Having spent the weekend trout fishing that is a wonderful fish story.

Hehe. The story's cute... I'm a bit afraid of fish and would fear tickling their underside. Especially while they're living...

Back
Top Bottom