Anyone like Hot Sauce? (Lots of pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
When I started working Saturday, my boss told me that one of the things I was going to be doing was prepping the chili peppers he had ordered for the yearly batch of Hot Sauce. Now, I work in a country club, and we're talking commercial quantities here, so don't be surprised by the amounts.

Ok, here's the FIRST case of peppers:

[/url]

And the SECOND case of peppers:

[img]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3517/peppersauce2kw2.jpg
There were A LOT of Habanero and Scotch Bonnet peppers, along with a bunch that I couldn't identify off-hand. I'm counting my lucky stars that I didn't accidently cut through my gloves while I was removing the stems. The case of tomatoes in the background of that pic are also going into the sauce, along with a bunch of onions, about a hundred cloves of garlic, some basil, cilantro, and probably almost 3 quarts of olive oil.

What we're going to do is roast the peppers first, then simmer them until the flavors marry and the peppers cook down. Here's a shot of just ONE roasting pan, out of FIVE, full of pepper goodness:

And here's the whole mass of peppery goodness, being simmered in a "Trunion Skillet", commonly called a "Tilt Skillet":

And another shot of the "mash" as it's being cooked down. Since it took me 2 HOURS to clean and de-stem two cases of peppers, the roasting pans went in at intervals. The peppers you see floating on top are from the last pan, and never actually cooked down before we blended the sauce.

My boss decided we had to try the sauce out, what most cooks jokingly refer to as a "quality check", but it just an excuse to nibble. The boss strained some of the liquid from the Tilt Skillet, then cooked off some chicken wings, and tossed the wings with the sauce. Now, mind you, this shot is AFTER about 4 cooks and a couple wait-staff "sampled" the wings. I had 6, if I remember right.

And the finished product:

My Chef isn't exactly sure of how much Hot Sauce he ended up with, but he's estimating it's around 12 - 13 GALLONS! We'll be using this to add zip to food for a year or more.

Note: the picture(s) might not show up due to bandwidth limitations. If the picture(s) are not there, check back at a later time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks wonderful. I think my husband would have died and gone to heaven if he could have been there.

Care to share the recipe????

pouncermom said:
Looks wonderful. I think my husband would have died and gone to heaven if he could have been there.

Care to share the recipe????

This was all done "to taste", and no real recipe. However, I will give you what I saw and what I know the boss put into it.

2 cases assorted chile peppers, Habanero's, Scotch Bonnet's, and others I can't identify
1 case tomatoes, halved
~3 qt whole peeled garlic cloves
onions, halved and/or quartered
cilantro
basil
salt to taste
~3 qt olive oil

Being careful to wear gloves and NOT touch your face, remove the stems from the peppers. Arrange the peppers, tomatoes, garlic, onions, cilantro, and basil, and toss to coat with oil. Roast at 350 degrees F until the vegetables are cooked and starting to char slightly. Remove and place the vegetables into a pan and saute them until they begin to break down and simmer. Cook like this until almost all the vegetables have broken down. Remove any stems from the basil and cilantro if you find any. Puree until smooth, and taste to check for salt.

Now, I remind you, this was restaurant-quanitity cooking. I had 5 roasting pans full of vegetables. Those roasting pans are "full-size" roasting pans, with an area about twice that of a standard-size sheet pan for home use. One of those pans WILL NOT fit in your oven, much less on your countertop. When we started sauteing the vegetables, we used a "tilt skillet", a.k.a. a "Trunion Skillet", which is a HUGE versatile commercial piece of hardware. I think it will hole about 150 qt. I'm not sure on the measurements, but you could easily fit three tom turkeys into one of these, with enough oil to properly fry them all at the same time. To puree the sauce, we did that in two stages. The first stage was with what I was always taught was called a "bazooka tube". It's a large, commercial immersion blender. If you've watched Iron Chef America, it's that big orange blender you've seen the chefs stick into a pot to puree large volumes of liquid. The second stage was scooping out a couple of quarts of the resulting sauce and running that through our "Vita-prep" blender, which will basically reduce anything into either a thin liquid, or fine powder, depending on whether it's dry or wet.

We ended up with about 13 GALLONS of sauce.

FryBoy said:
Allen,

That's super! Thanks for sharing the photos.

What sort of restaurant is it?

I work in a country club. That particular day was rather slow, even though we had a party for 172 booked, and only about 140 showed.

Back
Top Bottom