Atten: BACON lovers!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Dawg, is is maple syrup tasting? Does the syrup add much? I've got moloasses and I've got honey, but no maple syrup. To tell the truth, I'm not a big fan of maple syrup's taste anyway. I know you can't really swap one for the other, but I might as well use a flavor I like, right? What do you think?

I think go for whatever you like! I saw a similar bacon jam recipe that called for honey. I like maple syrup and happened to have just enough. The biggest caveat I saw was to not overcook the bacon. I also swapped out the cider vinegar with balsamic as that's what I had.

One company sells all sorts of different flavors. Another recipe used pepper bacon. I think you could probably fiddle with any of the ingredients. I'm going to freeze 2 of the little jars and keep one in the fridge.

Last edited:
Here we go, three of the cutest little 4 oz. jars of bacon jam I've ever made!

View attachment 12526

View attachment 12527

looks fantastic, dawg--similar to, but better than the recipe pic. what does the sriracha do for the jam, add heat--a bite? overall, does the jam wind up more sweet or savory, and is the smoky bacon flavor a really distinct presence?

vitauta said:
looks fantastic, dawg--similar to, but better than the recipe pic. what does the sriracha do for the jam, add heat--a bite? overall, does the jam wind up more sweet or savory, and is the smoky bacon flavor a really distinct presence?

Thanks Vit! Sriracha adds some of that back of the throat heat, but not at all hot. It's both sweet and savory, with a bit of tartness. I just used standard Kirkland bacon from Costco. I would imagine the flavor would vary depending on the type of bacon used. Your standard blueberry jam it ain't!

Last edited:
not for your ears, dawg, but i can just imagine putting together a breakfast of scrapple topped with bacon jam, eggs, over easy and garlic bread, topped with more bacon jam. subLIME! (a breakfast for when you don't have to go anywhere after) :)

vitauta said:
not for your ears, dawg, but i can just imagine putting together a breakfast of scrapple topped with bacon jam, eggs, over easy and garlic bread, topped with more bacon jam. subLIME! (a breakfast for when you don't have to go anywhere after) :)

:LOL: Just make sure whoever you're gonna be around has the same breakfast!

It looks and sounds fantastic. I definitely want to try it!

When you said not to overcook the bacon, what do you mean? Cook to the chewy state or what?

Kathleen said:
It looks and sounds fantastic. I definitely want to try it!

When you said not to overcook the bacon, what do you mean? Cook to the chewy state or what?

Not crispy. The recipe says to just cook till the edges brown slightly. Kathleen, I would not eat it this way plain! It was still somewhat flabby. The recipe also never mentioned draining or pouring a bunch of fat into my bacon fat can, but I did anyway.

hey, i love flabby bacon!

btw, the term i was looking for was rillette. i was thinking that this was like a pork rillette.

Last edited:
Because we have so much maple syrup (being that we make our own), I always add maple syrup to bacon...it adds a nice top note.

lately, there's been lots of talk about maple bacon cupcakes. wondering if dawg's bacon jam might be the key ingredient for a new really revolutionary type of cupcake, man cave style....

The bacon jam is outstanding on eggs. With extra bacon strips on the side. Bet it would make some interesting cupcakes!

In some sick and twisted way, it is really quite good! It makes a surprisingly teeny amount after it cooks down. It's supposed to sleep in the fridge overnight, have the fat scraped off, then additional ingredients added and recooked. I have to smack DH's hand to keep him out of it.

A wooden spoon will leave enough pain to keep him out of it. :chef:

Addie said:
Bacon jam just may replace all other condiments except butter and garlic. Forward march! All ye bacon jam lovers.:chef:

You got that right, Addie! :LOL:

How about a Maple Bacon Ice Cream Sundae?

Attachments

• 20110331-dennys-sundae.jpg
    20110331-dennys-sundae.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 168
Back
Top Bottom