Avocado Lime Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Ingredients

1 ripe Haas avocado, pit remove and flesh scooped out of skin
3/4 cup whole cilantro leaves, no stems
1 fresh jalapeno, stemmed and seeded, cut into chunks(you may not need it all)
1 large garlic clove, crushed
Juice and zest from one lime
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp agave syrup or honey (I prefer the agave)
S&P to taste
Cumin to taste (optional)
Water (optional to thin if needed)

Whiz everything in a blender or food processor until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste. Thin with water if too thick. Depending on how spicy you want it, you can sub serrano or other chili pepper. I had to use the whole jalapeno and it was still lacking in spice. You never know how spicy a chili pepper can be until you taste it.

Try this in place of guacamole in your tacos, quesadillas, etc...:yum:

Makes a pretty good salad dressing too.

Last edited:
Wholly Guacamole brand makes a smooth guacamole. Found in the refrigerator/ freezer section at the store. It is an army green color and I think has a pronounced garlic flavor. I like garlic, but it should not dominate. We bought this once, it is not a short cut to avocado nirvana.

Imagine my surprise when we were at a local Mexican restaurant and ordered guac. They brought out a small bowl of smoothness, consistency of mayonnaise. Further imagine my feeling of disappointment on seeing this. Now, Imagine my Surprise when tasted. A world of avocado flavor, just the right amount of heat and onion in the background, a further spritz of a lime slice made it Perfect. They have a light hand on balancing flavors and a heavy hand on their food processor.

Not Craig, Whiskas again. Never heard of smoked cumin. Sounds like something one can legally do yourself. Not on Penzeys site, Amazon says McCormicks sells it. I go through tons of Cumin, so I Want to try this.

Back to the guacamole recipe again. Right after I hung up the phone here earlier, I thought, this recipe might be good tossed with noodles for a cold pasta salad and a variant to pesto or cold Asian noodles in summer. Well, along with some veggies and maybe some cold grilled chicken. Sounds good to me.

Last edited:
Whiska--the smoked cumin I have is McCormicks. I got it in MN at the local grocery store, along with powdered roasted ginger...can't resist picking up a spice I haven't seen before...I do roast cumin seeds combined with coriander seeds and grind those for guacamole and other things.

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I like the idea of using this sauce as a salad dressing!

CraigC--sounds lovely. Do you roast the cumin or use smoked (powdered) cumin?

I actually didn't use cumin this time, but when I use it, I toast the seeds in a dry fry pan and grind in my spice grinder. To me, if a smell can be umami, then toasted, freshly ground cumin seed is one of them. IMO, it does have a smokiness without actually being smoked!:)

I actually didn't use cumin this time, but when I use it, I toast the seeds in a dry fry pan and grind in my spice grinder. To me, if a smell can be umami, then toasted, freshly ground cumin seed is one of them. IMO, it does have a smokiness without actually being smoked!:)

Agree. I love the smell of toasting cumin. I like the smell when I'm toasting most seeds. Coriander is great too, and fennel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom