"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Christmas turkey accompaniments

Okay, since you lot are responsible for us Brits having to plough through enormous turkeys for the 12 days of Christmas (why do families with only 3 or 4 members buy turkeys that would feed a small city and leave left-overs?), has anyone got a different and interesting cranberry sauce recipe (You're responsible for that too!)

I cook cranberries, grated orange rind, sugar, water and the orange juice and add a splosh of port at the end. What do you do?
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,447
There will be sides like mushroom bread pudding, but the "turkey" will be a standing rib roast (bone in, prime rib).
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 4,039
My favorite quick cranberry sauce is to open a can of whole berry sauce, add as much grated ginger as you like. Alternatively, horseradish ( may not go good with turkey? ). You can cook cranberry sauce instead of opening a can.

Here's another good one.

2 cups cranberries
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped)
3 tablespoons lime juice ( juice of one lime) plus some zest

Place the cranberries, orange juice and sugar into a sauce pan and simmer until the cranberries have burst, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in jalapeno and lime juice. Chill.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,610
I would stick with the one that you described in your original post!

If you must make a change experiment with this raw version, just fiddle with it until it tastes right. I would make it the day before so the cranberries can mingle with the other flavor elements.

Fresh Cranberry Relish Recipe : Tyler Florence : Recipes : Food Network

After your feast use some of that leftover turkey to make an American classic, the Kentucky Hot Brown sandwich!

The Hot Brown Signature Sandwich and much more at The English Grill in The Brown Hotel
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 4,039
Aunt Bea, both good ones.

We just had US Thanksgiving turkey. Our family does a repeat performance for Christmas. Maybe different vegetables and salads, but pretty standard. Luckily, I likes it. Plus we put out plates of cookies on the hors d'oeuvres table , so we can get all sugared up before dinner.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 14,441
I've made this version of Cranberry Sauce with Apples & Port for years and it's a favorite:

Cranberry Sauce with Apples & Port

I've used different apples, depending on what was on hand, but it's always a crisp tart or sweet-tart variety. I've reduced the Port to 1/2 cup and reduced the sugar to a slightly generous 1/3 cup.


With having turkey at Thanksgiving, I don't remember ever having it again at Christmas. Mom usually did a ham or a capon. When I took over Christmas I would make a beef roast - but not yorkshire pudding since I usually use a tenderloin. Would make some excellent mushrooms as a side. The recipe is from a French Cooking edition of "Round the World Cooking Library" but a similar recipe is here: Mushrooms Country Style
__________________
"The essence of America - that which really unites us - is not ethnicity, or nationality or religion - it is an an idea - and what an idea it is: That you can come from humble circumstances and do great things. That it doesn't matter where you came from but where you are going."~ Condoleezza Rice
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've made this version of Cranberry Sauce with Apples & Port for years and it's a favorite:

Cranberry Sauce with Apples & Port

I've used different apples, depending on what was on hand, but it's always a crisp tart or sweet-tart variety. I've reduced the Port to 1/2 cup and reduced the sugar to a slightly generous 1/3 cup.


With having turkey at Thanksgiving, I don't remember ever having it again at Christmas. Mom usually did a ham or a capon. When I took over Christmas I would make a beef roast - but not yorkshire pudding since I usually use a tenderloin. Would make some excellent mushrooms as a side. The recipe is from a French Cooking edition of "Round the World Cooking Library" but a similar recipe is here: Mushrooms Country Style
Since we had chicken on Thanksgiving, I always did a ham on Christmas. The kids never liked turkey until they got older and smarter.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
My favorite quick cranberry sauce is to open a can of whole berry sauce, add as much grated ginger as you like. Alternatively, horseradish ( may not go good with turkey? ). You can cook cranberry sauce instead of opening a can.

Here's another good one.

2 cups cranberries
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped)
3 tablespoons lime juice ( juice of one lime) plus some zest

Place the cranberries, orange juice and sugar into a sauce pan and simmer until the cranberries have burst, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in jalapeno and lime juice. Chill.
Hm, the chili would be a change. The usual cranberry sauce here is mainly a sweet-ish one.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would stick with the one that you described in your original post!

If you must make a change experiment with this raw version, just fiddle with it until it tastes right. I would make it the day before so the cranberries can mingle with the other flavor elements.

Fresh Cranberry Relish Recipe : Tyler Florence : Recipes : Food Network

After your feast use some of that leftover turkey to make an American classic, the Kentucky Hot Brown sandwich!

The Hot Brown Signature Sandwich and much more at The English Grill in The Brown Hotel
Like the idea of the uncooked relish and the orange liqueur is one to bear in mind. It's gone in my recipe folder already.

And the hot brown sandwich sounds like a winner - not exactly in the quick snack sandwich meal but good for Boxing Day.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Like the idea of the uncooked relish and the orange liqueur is one to bear in mind. It's gone in my recipe folder already.

And the hot brown sandwich sounds like a winner - not exactly in the quick snack sandwich meal but good for Boxing Day.
That Hot Brown Sandwich is a traditional food for the day of the Kentucky Derby. I have often wonder if Queen Elizabeth II had one when she attended the Derby while she was here to see the race.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Sous Chef
 
menumaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South West France
Posts: 595
You could ditch the Turkey..................and be FREE............Ok, controvertial I know, but we did it. This year it's Rib of beef for us
__________________
Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
You could ditch the Turkey..................and be FREE............Ok, controvertial I know, but we did it. This year it's Rib of beef for us
One year my Christmas present to my daughter's family was a standing rib roast with five ribs. Cooked to perfection along with the Yorkshire pudding done right in the roasting pan. Everyone of us could barely leave the table when we were through stuffing our faces. Not even a smidgen of room for the chocolate wreath cake. We had that for supper with a tall glass of ice cold milk. They are still talking about that meal.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
You could ditch the Turkey..................and be FREE............Ok, controvertial I know, but we did it. This year it's Rib of beef for us
I'm right there. I already did the turkey thing.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
I'm not a turkey eater, but I do like cranberries. Here is a link to my recipe:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ort-82666.html
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,306
We seldom cook a turkey for Christmas. Ham is the main attraction.
As for Turkey.....I like mine neat---maybe one ice cube--- and a good Dominican after dinner cigar.
__________________
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
Sous Chef
 
menumaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South West France
Posts: 595
Hoot, we are on the same wavelength but for me, no ice just a touch of spring water and a Cuban panatella. (lady size of course )
__________________
Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,874
Consider making some cranberry chutney. Here's a good recipe: Madhur Jaffrey’s Ginger Garlic Cranberry Chutney {recipe}

I am also a fan of fresh cranberry relish. Here's my hubbies recipe:

Fresh cranberries - 1 lb
1 fresh, lovely crisp apple (with skin)
Some fresh orange rind, finely shredded and some of the juice
Dark brown sugar
3/4 cup walnuts
ground cinnamon
a little ground clove

Grind up the fruit, berries and walnuts and add sugar and seasonings to taste. Chill for several hours before eating.
__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 25,373
We don't usually do turkey on Christmas, either. More likely a beef or pork roast.

I'm not a fan of cranberries, so I made this cherry sauce for Thanksgiving this year: Turkey Sauté with Fresh Cherry Sauce Recipe | Epicurious.com

It was really good.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
christmas, turkey

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.