Cranberry Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I've made this once, years ago. I much prefer a freshly-made cranberry sauce over the jelly-like crud out of a can.

Cranberry Sauce
Yields: 2 ½ c

¼ c fresh orange juice
¾ c water
1 T fresh lime juice
1 c sugar
one 12 oz bag of cranberries
1/8 t kosher salt
zest of one orange
zest of one lemon

Over high heat, boil the O.J., water, lime juice, and sugar, until the sugar dissolves. Add the berries, salt, and both of the zest’s. Reduce heat and simmer. Cook until it reaches your desired thickness and texture.

purrfectlydevine said:
I wonder if you could substitute Splenda? DH is diabetic.
Purr,
I make half of mine with splenda and it tastes just the same as the one with reg. sugar...I found for me that I had to add a little more splenda..So taste after you've added a little then add on if you want it sweeter...
kadesma

This recipe is more of a compote than a cranberry sauce. Pretty tasty one (I use a slight variation of it) but a compote nonetheless.

Yes, that is true.

One thing I've noticed in recent years, working in restaurants, is a move towards "whole-berry" cranberry sauces. Texture-wise, they aren't much different than the recipe I posted.

I have another recipe for a "Cranberry Chutney", from the same original source as this recipe. I haven't made the chutney yet, but from what I've read, it's even chunkier than the sauce recipe.

I want to make a batch of the sauce, just to show my other half, PeppA, what REAL cranberry sauce is. They're addicted to the "gunk from the can".

I love cranberry sauce. When you make the chutney can you let me know how it is please ? It sounds really good.

purrfectlydevine said:
I wonder if you could substitute Splenda? DH is diabetic.

I make the raw cranberry sauce with Splenda. Chopped cranberries, orange, apple and sweetening to taste. I sometimes add a handfull of dried cranberries for a richer flavor. I like it better than cooked but my husband likes it cooked with sugar; ergo, a batch of each.

Back
Top Bottom