Ethnic condiments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ripliancum

Cook
I don’t know what's up with me, but I love condiments, all kinds. I've tried this Middle Eastern one called Mayo-Chup. It’s a mayonnaise type sauce. Also the Australian wonder Vegemite. I was just wondering what other condiments are out there that people like? Anyone know of anything interesting I could try?

I know what you mean Ripliancum. Pickles, mustards, sauces, preservers, relishes, chutney, spreads etc etc I love them all. Going to fairs and local markets are a lesson in temptation with all the delicious jars up for sampling and purchase.

They are the things that round out a kitchen after your two other main ingredient categories; staples (dry goods, milk, yoghurt etc) and flavourings (spices, herbs etc). Nothing better than some bread, some cheese (generally a nice sharp cheddar), a selection of cold cuts and a selection of condiments.

Currently going through a Piccalilli phase (the traditional English mustard pickled vegetables), it's absolutely delicious. Also the Chinese hoi sin sauce is great either included in a dish or as a sauce served on the side.

I've never tried Red Curry, I have had yellow curry, i don't know if that's what its called, but its a yellow color. I have two kinds. One kind is just labeled curry, and the other is labeled hot Jamaican curry. They are both really good. I have a friend from India who always cooks. He has a whole drawer full of spices and when he cooks he just mixes certain spices together to make the curry. Man is so good! and he serves it with fresh buttermilk. Its dang good.

try using malt vinegar and salt on french fries, instead of ketchup.

also, if you like steak sauce, try hp brand (pronounced haich pee).

my favourite dijon mustard is maille brand, both regular and wholegrain.

if you like duck sauce, try a brand of apricot sauce called saucy susan. or if you like it spicy, try mae ploy brand sweet chilli sauce.

ISO Chilli Sauce(how to)

I tried making my own chili sauce, but it doesn't taste as nice as the once I have tasted in restaurant. I put the fresh pepper in a blender, added garlic and olive oil, and run the blended so it all didn't look like too well blended .Anyway, I didn't like it, anyone know of TNT ways of doing this?

Hi Jikoni, try this recipe:

Handful of dry chili arabol (should be available at indian stores - they are dry, red and very potent)
3 cloves of garlic
juice of 2 limes or you can use 3 tbsp of vinegar although I like lime
1 tbsp of oil (I don't like too much oil)
salt to taste

Soak the chili overnight in warm water. Next morning add them to a chopper along with the garlic, lime juice, salt and oil. Blend it all together. Store in a little container in your refrigerator. It's delicious on anything.

The condiment that I like the most is thai sweet chili sauce (Mae Ploy Brand). I use it as a dipping sauce with a lot of things I make.

Also tamarind chutney that I make. It has a nice fruity, tarty flavor that I don't think can be duplicated. To make it stir in 3 tbsp of tamarind with a bottle of applesauce add freshly toasted and ground cumin powder to it along with brown sugar and red chili powder and a pinch of salt. Let it all cook on low heat until it's nice, bubbly and brown. You can store this in the refrigerator for months.

Yakuta said:
The condiment that I like the most is thai sweet chili sauce (Mae Ploy Brand). I use it as a dipping sauce with a lot of things I make.

Oh me too! I love sweet chili garlic sauce. I use it a lot. I also really like Sriracha sauce, chee hou sauce, miso, fish and oyster sauce, and bulgogi sauce.

My fridge is stocked to the brim with condiments. I love them.

Yakuta, I just tried your recipe.bought the chilli yesterday and prepared it today, turned out great, DH can't wait for dinner.Thanks a lot.I also love the sweet chilli sauce and always have some. When I am being lazy, I like to fry prawns in oil, onions and garlic, serve it with rice and thenn put some sweet chilli sauce when serving.Yummy.

68bwg42.jpg

Yes! I like the Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce for Chicken - especially good when you buy BBQ chicken from the store and just dip the meat in it. I also like Sambal Olek, a pungent chilli paste in most of my cooking.

Sweet Chili Sauce, Sambal Oelek (or it's sister chili garlic paste), nam pla (Thai fish sauce), hoison sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce (dark, light, & mushroom), Hot dumpling sauce (really just a commercial version of sauce you can easily make yourself, but which is nice to have on hand), different varieties of hot pepper sauces, tahini - gosh, my fridge & pantry are chock full of stuff; I'm sure I've left a lot out.

68bwg42.jpg

Yes! I like the Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce for Chicken - especially good when you buy BBQ chicken from the store and just dip the meat in it. I also like Sambal Olek, a pungent chilli paste in most of my cooking.

Ok, I'm just a dumb cook, and don't know what ACETIC ACID is. What is it? LoL

I really like turkish spreads. Feta cheese mixed with any combination of stuff - my favorite being sun-dried tomatoes and garlic or eggplant (aubergine) spread.

now THIS is the real deal ;)

gaa1.jpg

gaa2.jpg

there`s enough in here that when diluted into 10 litres of water it will make the 5% strength you can buy in the shops :ohmy:
but as it Is in the bottle it`s a totally different Beast, and burn your flesh off and the Smell when you open the top will have you coughing for a good while, it`s quite flammable too.

*sigh* the stuff a guy has to use to make a good Chili sauce :ermm: :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

also, if you like steak sauce, try hp brand (pronounced haich pee).

:doh: pronouced 'aitch pee', drop the heavy 'h' and you've got it BT ;)

I adore all sorts of condiments. I'm lviong the huge resurgence of unusual chutneys and pickles in UK over the last few years.

My very favourite thing though is mango chutney in a ham sandwich. I love lime pickle my itself on a cracker: I guess I'm having an indian condiment phase.

The one I HATE most is the Italian mostarda....it looks so beautiful it tasts like wasabi on acid.:sick:

Back
Top Bottom