"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #41
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,610
Do any of you ketchup lovers know of a good brand of hot ketchup? Hunts used to make one but, I have not seen it in quite some time. I have tried to add some zip to plain ketchup but, it does not seem to work. Thanks B
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthompson View Post
Wow...sounds like mayo and hot sauce are the winners. I was sure there would be at least one fellow ranch lover. I guess I'm alone on this one.
Ever tried Ranch drizzled over Pizza? I love that.

I use Best Foods mayo more than anything for sandwiches, but I must have Pico de Gallo with steak.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,436
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
ooh Thanks, Taxlady. 18-lbs of tomatoes is a huge amount! but I'll do some digging around to see if I can find one that makes a smaller batch using yours as a guideline.

Barbara, I guess we'd have to have a BYOC (bring your own condiment) kind of lunch together! heheh
That recipe should be easy to cut to 1/3. Of course, you still end up with about 7 x 250 ml jars of ketsup. (We got 20 x 250 ml out of the 18 lbs of tomatoes.) If you don't like it, you could give the rest as presents.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Ever tried Ranch drizzled over Pizza? I love that.

I use Best Foods mayo more than anything for sandwiches, but I must have Pico de Gallo with steak.
How do you eat that, on the side or right on the steak?
I love pico, but I usually just wrap it up in a tortilla and eat it along with something else.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #45
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 24
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Thai sweet chili sauce.
Me too. Mmmm...
Jewelrycooktx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #46
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Ever tried Ranch drizzled over Pizza? I love that.

I use Best Foods mayo more than anything for sandwiches, but I must have Pico de Gallo with steak.
I never thought about Pico de Gallo with steak, but that would be really good!

When my daughter was in 4th or 5th grade she started eating Ranch on her pizza. She probably still eats it that way.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
How do you eat that, on the side or right on the steak?
I love pico, but I usually just wrap it up in a tortilla and eat it along with something else.
I make a nice lill pile of it on top of my steak, so I can have a bit with every bite. My favorite is home made, but Herdez Salsa Casera was the best substitute until I tried Goya.....that stuff is even better!! Speaking of tortillas, it's great in a Mexican egg/cheese breakfast burrito. yumm
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #48
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 581
Sriracha sauce, Cholula and salsa
NAchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #49
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Do any of you ketchup lovers know of a good brand of hot ketchup? Hunts used to make one but, I have not seen it in quite some time. I have tried to add some zip to plain ketchup but, it does not seem to work. Thanks B
I do this weird thing when I want to add zip to my ketchup. I squirt a circle with my ketchup, then I fill the inside and create a little resevoir of hot sauce in the middle. Then I can dip away.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #50
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I make a nice lill pile of it on top of my steak, so I can have a bit with every bite. My favorite is home made, but Herdez Salsa Casera was the best substitute until I tried Goya.....that stuff is even better!! Speaking of tortillas, it's great in a Mexican egg/cheese breakfast burrito. yumm
I will have to try Goya then! I LOVE Herdez Salsa Casera! Whenever I can, I buy it at WalMart Super Center, where I can buy it in big cans rather than in the jars. So much cheaper. They always look at me a little funny, I think, when it is on sale at the grocery store because if it is on sale I sometimes buy all they have.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
Sriracha, Chipotle Tabasco, or mustard... depends on the meal.
LOVE the Chipotle Tabasco! Fab with ketchup. On anything. Sriracha too for anything Asian.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #52
Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle

Ever tried Ranch drizzled over Pizza? I love that.

.
Oohhh..., no but I'm gonna!!
jdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #53
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 161
Asked me this question 2 or 3 months ago, &, I would have proudly stood up & declared my undying love for butter & ranch dressiing!!...But, after my gallbladder "eruption", I have had no choice other than to change things or continue down my path of self-destruction....*sniffles...I miss 'ya butter buddy*...Anyhow, now that I am on track for a healthier lifestyle, I would have to vote for olive oil as my new "go-to" condiment. Used properly, it has quite a "bang for its buck", &, has the ability to clean out those hardened arteries & veins that are clogged w/saturated fats...I'm not perfect, but, as far as "out w/the old. & in w/the new" policy, well...so far its going wonderfully!!
Midnight_Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,436
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Merlot View Post
Asked me this question 2 or 3 months ago, &, I would have proudly stood up & declared my undying love for butter & ranch dressiing!!...But, after my gallbladder "eruption", I have had no choice other than to change things or continue down my path of self-destruction....*sniffles...I miss 'ya butter buddy*...Anyhow, now that I am on track for a healthier lifestyle, I would have to vote for olive oil as my new "go-to" condiment. Used properly, it has quite a "bang for its buck", &, has the ability to clean out those hardened arteries & veins that are clogged w/saturated fats...I'm not perfect, but, as far as "out w/the old. & in w/the new" policy, well...so far its going wonderfully!!
Ever try the thing they do in some Italian restaurants? Pour some EVOO in a saucer, add a bit of balsamic vinegar and swirl it. Then dip your bread into it instead of buttering it. That's instead of plain buttered bread.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #55
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Ever try the thing they do in some Italian restaurants? Pour some EVOO in a saucer, add a bit of balsamic vinegar and swirl it. Then dip your bread into it instead of buttering it. That's instead of plain buttered bread.
Glad that you mentioned this tax, because, I have found a way to "amp" it up....soak the bread w/the mixings, then pop it into your oven for around 4-5 min.'s or so, &....Holy Moley - it goes from good to almost an angelic quality!! It is amazing how yummy it gets! :)
Midnight_Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,436
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Merlot View Post
Glad that you mentioned this tax, because, I have found a way to "amp" it up....soak the bread w/the mixings, then pop it into your oven for around 4-5 min.'s or so, &....Holy Moley - it goes from good to almost an angelic quality!! It is amazing how yummy it gets! :)
How hot an oven? I gotta try this.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #57
Senior Cook
 
danbuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 350
Either Ketchup or Thousand Island dressing.
danbuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #58
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,712
Finishing salts...I have quite a selection now.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #59
Head Chef
 
mcnerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,326
Just fell in love with the Heinz Limited Edition Balsamic Ketchup. <drool>
__________________
Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.
mcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #60
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Mustard in general, and Fallot's mustard(s) in particular.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.