Favorite store-bought condiment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And this when I get happy that I come from a country where the favorite condiment is a jam made with berries and sugar.

In no particular order:

71ghpO9y2ML._SY606_.jpg

e019e69e-32cb-46b5-9fc6-944be9ed0556_1.32ba25a52cb0a4077d32447c27606ee3.jpeg

61KvRXKl5DL._SL1296_.jpg

hela-curry-ketchup.jpg

KoldingRemoulade.jpg

81u0Ai832JL._SY355_.jpg

As mentioned:
5192-QP-kewpie-mayonnaise.jpg

I have two...

Fine ground mustard - I use buckets of this in everything from salad dressings to mac n cheese.

Pomegranate molasses.. again dressings, marinades and even in desserts.

mustard.jpg pom_mol.jpg

Hiya Tatt! Long time, no see. I hope you are well.

You reminded me of another one with the Asian stuff in the fridge, the Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce.

Hiya Tatt! Long time, no see. I hope you are well.

You reminded me of another one with the Asian stuff in the fridge, the Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce.

BT, miss you , man! Hope all is well! I'll be in NYC first week of October should you wanna do lunch!

HEH TAT!!!
+1
Long time no see braddah man!

Hmmm, I've never tried Banana Sauce but seen it around alot, how would you utilize it?

Howzit?!

Also known as Banana Ketchup, it's GREAT for lumpiang shanghai and many fried crispy things.

Howzit?!

Also known as Banana Ketchup, it's GREAT for lumpiang shanghai and many fried crispy things.

Howzit brah!

Oohhhh! We LOVE fried crispy things! I was just thinkin' about making some gau gee, but that's better with shoyu and mustard for dippin' :yum:

So nice to 'see' you again Tat, stick around awhile this time, will ya?!

Until recently, I'd only ever had bad bbq. Well, that's a little overstated, but anything that I considered bbq'd had sauce on it. And none of it was all that great.

But I finally found a great bbq place not too far from where I live, and in keeping with your thought, the restaurant is appropriately called Texas Smoke.

Texas Smoke Barbecue | 400 Rt. 15 South Jefferson, N.J.

They offer all of their meats unsauced, but all of the tables have 3 types of bbq sauces on them, from sweet to very hot.

We have tried just about everything there, even the salmon, and we have yet to have anything that wasn't great.

Btw, do Texans eat cornbread with their q, and if so, is it Northern style (sweet), or Southern (not sweet)?

I have not seen Texans eating cornbread with BBQ as much as with Chili. The old-school Texas BBQ joints put bags of sliced white bread on the tables or a few slices with each order. As for sweet or not, it depends on who is cooking the cornbread. I make mine sweet.

CD

I have not seen Texans eating cornbread with BBQ as much as with Chili. The old-school Texas BBQ joints put bags of sliced white bread on the tables or a few slices with each order. As for sweet or not, it depends on who is cooking the cornbread. I make mine sweet.

CD

Ditto here CD. But then I am from the North. I am supposed to make it sweet.

Mayo is probably the most used. Dx makes a mean home made mayo too. Otherwise, she's a miracle whip lady, and I either squeeze on some lemon juice or garlic powder, depending on the dish she makes or more pepper... whatever I can get away with.

I like horseradish.

My favorite condiment is probably Tiger Sauce. It says Try Me on the label, so I did. Yum.
Oh yeah!!!! That would definitely be mine.

I rarely but it though. It used to be like 1.89. Now it is nearly 4 bucks for a very tiny bottle. It just bugs me too much to buy it.

As far as international specialty condiments go, Sharwood's Major Grey's Chutney (to go with my lamb curry). I was surprised one local supermarket stocked it. The best damn chutney brand out there. There are many. :cool:

eaf8f8e8-26fa-47ed-a1b0-17ab010f1807_1.94b4a5c11.jpg

Last edited:
As far as international specialty condiments go, Sharwood's Major Grey's Chutney (to go with my lamb curry). I was surprised one local supermarket stocked it. The best damn chutney brand out there. There are many. :cool:

eaf8f8e8-26fa-47ed-a1b0-17ab010f1807_1.94b4a5c11.jpg

Next time you make a grilled cheese sandwich try adding a spoon of Major Grey's Chutney to the cheese before you toss the sandwich into the frying pan. :yum:

Last edited:
I really don't have a favorite. I do love hot sauces and good, aged balsamic vinegar. My present, go to hot sauce isn't available in stores as it is a small batch product that my daughter found at a farmers market in Punta Gorda, FL.

Karen went over to visit the DD and GDs. She brought some back.

36788-albums309-picture7087.jpg

https://drbillssauces.com/

I have a jar of Best Foods Mayonnaise in the `fridge for everyday sort of uses, BUT!
If I want the mayo front and center, it's
Kewpie Japanese Mayonnaise, it has a for superior umami flavor
than western mayo (I haven't gotten a chance to try making my own mayo yet Steve, but I will)

View attachment 27629

View attachment 27630

I ordered it online from of all places, Walmart and pick it up at the store for no S&H charge.
Mark loves my smoked chicken thigh sandwiches. The secret ingredient is Kewpie mayo, applied to the bottom toasted sweet Hawaiian bun to anchor the chopped lettuce, then another thin layer on top of the lettuce, to anchor the shredded smoked chicken. Then a bit of BBQ sauce on the chicken, and top if off with the toasted top bun.

Frankly, I don’t think it’s all that marvelous. Good, yes. Remarkable? No. But the Kewpie mayo definitely gives it a distinct flavor!

If you’re making Japanese curry with one of the prepared roux (I don’t know he plural for roux!), after your stew has thickened, make a little slurry of some of the curry liquid and some Jewpie, then stir it back into the curry off the heat. Super creaminess!

It’s also a great dipping sauce for chicken tenders. I like to add either a little sriracha or wasabi.

And you simply cannot make, or eat, Okonomiyaki without Kewpie mayo! Well, you can, but the mayor of Osaka would slam you on Twitter!

Last edited:
Mark loves my smoked chicken thigh sandwiches. The secret ingredient is Kewpie mayo, applied to the bottom toasted sweet Hawaiian bun to anchor the chopped lettuce, then another thin layer on top of the lettuce, to anchor the shredded smoked chicken. Then a bit of BBQ sauce on the chicken, and top if off with the toasted top bun.

Frankly, I don’t think it’s all that marvelous. Good, yes. Remarkable? No. But the Kewpie mayo definitely gives it a distinct flavor!

If you’re making Japanese curry with one of the prepared roux (I don’t know he plural for roux!), after your stew has thickened, make a little slurry of some of the curry liquid and some Jewpie, then stir it back into the curry off the heat. Super creaminess!

It’s also a great dipping sauce for chicken tenders. I like to add either a little sriracha or wasabi.

And you simply cannot make, or eat, Okonomiyaki without Kewpie mayo! Well, you can, but the mayor of Osaka would slam you on Twitter!

The thigh sandwich sounds really good.

The plural of roux is the same as singular. Although, it sounds better as rous, like how folks in Brooklyn pronounce plural you (yous).

Last edited:
I think my favorite condiment has to be powdered mustard. For a long time my kids couldn't figure out what that little kick was in the mac and cheese. When I told them, they put up a hoot and howl. "Ma, you know we all hate hot stuff."

"Then how come you all want a second helping and sometime three servings? Good, then that means I will never have to make mac and cheese again. It is a lot of work to make that."

Well, that suggestion didn't go over very big. Today, they ask if I put in extra powdered mustard.

Back
Top Bottom