Help needed with mayo recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you hold the blender toward the bottom for a bit before working it up and down? Some recipes recommend that and others don't. Very confusing!

Don't worry about it. The size and shape of the container will largely dictate how you move it to bring the shearing forces of the blade to bear on all the product. Where my blender head fits pretty neatly into the 2-cup measure that came with it, I move it slowly up and down to avoid eddies, and I have to lift it every so often when I see unmixed oil at the top edges that needs to be pushed down and mixed in. It's is the blade shearing the oil into small particles that creates the emulsion. Any movement that accomplishes that it okay, and I never find it to take too much care. The biggest single mistake, I think, is trying to make too much by adding too much oil for the liquid and yolk. Too much oil, and it suddenly gets limp, because, although you may be shearing the oil, there's not enough other substance to keep the particles apart. I don't measure. I put about 1/4 inch of vinegar in the cup, an egg yolk, salt and a bit of Dijon mustard, and it reliably makes about a cup of nicely thick mayo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom