Homemade Mayonnaise and Homemade Mustard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gossie

Sous Chef
Why do I have so much trouble making these two? I think I need someone to take my hand and walk me through the whole process. LoL

Mustard is really quite simple and there are Many ways and types you can make.
you can either start with the seeds (yellow or brown) or you can buy the mustard Powder.
you`ll need to grind these up (except the powder, that`s already done), then you`ll need to add a little water to make a paste.
leave this paste to stand for about half and hour to an hour, the smell and the heat will come out during this time, then you can add what ever you like to if, Vinegar, Whiskey or just use it as it is :)
with vinegar or whiskey you can put this into jars in the fridge and it will keep for a month or so.
that really is the bare bone basics, all the other flavors and colors and textures is entirely up to you after that.
they real and Only key is that you add Water only to the powder (ground seeds) and nothing else first.

That sounds easy enough. Dad likes the yellow mustard that you buy at the store. I wanted to make a more natural kind. What is the consistency/thickness of this mustard?

Gossie, why don't you tell us how you make each and then someone can tell you what you might be doing wrong.

YT's method for the mustard is how I've always known it - except for the alcohol part! Whenever mum made a roast beef dinner, dad always made up his own personal batch of extra strong mustard, starting with some powder and using vinegar. I really don't recall him ever mixing water into it though. Just malt vinegar. As a kid, it used to burn the roof of my mouth off!

The beauty of home made, you can make it as thick as you like but generally you are aiming for a firmish paste. Dad's used to stand to attention!

The mustard I haven't made yet. HOWEVER, I don't think I'm gonna even try the *standing at attention* one. Thank you, but no. LoL

I think my mayo problem is that I didn't have the eggs at room temperature. And I just haven't been brave enough to try it again. hehe

No I wouldn't make my dad's mustard either, not unless all my tastebuds did like Elvis and left the building!!LOL Maybe he didn't like my mum's roast beef!!

Well in between posts, I check my mustard canister and it says to make it to "thick cream". Stick with YT's method and you should be right.

I so seldom use mayo that I have never bothered making it, so I can't help you. I buy a small jar and it stays around for yonks.

try this: Chinese Hot Mustard Dip
it`s a nice not-to-technical way to explain the basics of mustard making.

Bilbly the Whiskey is added instead of the Vinegar, it makes a different (more seasonal) taste and aroma, nice at Christmas with cheese on crackers :)
you can use Wine instead for a different type again.

but the cold water 1`st is essential.

Back
Top Bottom