Homemade Tabasco Sauce - Non-metal saucepan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi. I made homemade Tabasco sauce last week. The recipe specified using a non-metal saucepan. Well, I don't have one, so I used my Calphalon stainless steel saucepan, with no apparent ill effects. Here's the recipe I used: Tabasco Hot Sauce Recipes

My question is, why would the recipe specify non-metal? Also, do any of you have non-metal saucepans? What are they made of? TIA.

I think they probably meant non aluminum or cast iron (non reactive) as the acid from the recipe would leach the metal into your finished product.

I agree with GB that non-reactive metal makes more sense.

For non-metal cookware there is LeCrueset type porcelain coated cast iron and corning ware cookware. Also clay pots and stoneware baking pans.

I would have gone with the SS pan too.

I have 2 corningware cornflower 6 1/2" frying pans with glass lids,
and 1 32 oz. corningware cornflower saucepot, no lid, with 3
pour edges (left, right and front)
They were garage sale finds, and have had them for years.

GB and Andy, that makes sense, thanks. And I'd forgotten that Le Creuset makes enameled cast-iron saucepans, as well as the larger pans (I have one of their Dutch ovens). Thanks again :)

Hello fellow Tabasco lovers. Our beloved Tabasco has disappeared here in Panama. Does anyone know if there is something going on with Tabasco exporting Tabasco? I have sent an Email to Tabasco as well. ITMT, thanks for the recipe.

Have made my own hot sauce many times with a trusty old SS 12 qt stock pot without any metallic aftertaste. Lots of simmering and cranking with the foley food mill though. Oh, and keep your face away from the steam!

Correct about the steam. But also wear those cheap, disposable rubber gloves when handling hot chilies of any type. You know, like the ones you see on all the detective TV shows.

gg, did you really get avery island peppers for the tobasco?

and lol, pacanis. i'll make sure not to put any magnets in my future hot sauces. :-p

Hello fellow Tabasco lovers. Our beloved Tabasco has disappeared here in Panama. Does anyone know if there is something going on with Tabasco exporting Tabasco? I have sent an Email to Tabasco as well. ITMT, thanks for the recipe.

Their operations were affected by some of the hurricans, so maybe production is down....

MOG, I wrote way back when and learned everything was okay on McInerny Island. Well, we can only hope production is not the problem.

Hola Kardelen, Yes, I could no agree more. The only meat I know you have to be careful with is chicken. If you marinade it too long, it becomes bland. Overnight is usually too long for most fowl. I have found 8-10 hours is perfect!

Back
Top Bottom