Horseradish dipping sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I guess this is a Condement on the side for beef roast?

Is it really just..

Sour Cream
Prepared Horseradish
salt and spice
(spice could be Dill for fish, maybe parsly for beef?)

some recipes call for Mustard Powder?

I also saw one with Crumbled Blue Chese?
that sounds really good for blue chese lovers!

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

I think you can get pretty much all the way there with just prepared horseradish plus sour cream. I would call that the basic recipe for the horseradish condiment served with beef roasts in restaurants.

It's funny, the restaurant always brings the diluted stuff and I have to request the pure stuff. :)

Last edited:
I keep looking for roots so I can plant horseradish...that way, I could have the pure stuff. Which reminds me, where are my seed "Wish Books" for 2012?

Made my own horseradish not long ago. Turned out great! Hotter than most of the hot store brands. One note, 1 lb of root goes a long way. I will have horse radish for the next decade!

Made my own horseradish not long ago. Turned out great! Hotter than most of the hot store brands. One note, 1 lb of root goes a long way. I will have horse radish for the next decade!

Did you add any additional ingredients or did you just blend it?

I suspect a horseradish root would last a long time in the refrigerator. Perhaps cut off and discard part of the old end before reusing.

Horseradish in the garden is very invasive. If I do find a fresh root (organic market is where I'll look this spring), it will either be planted off in a corner by the barn or in a container buried in the ground.

do you find that horseradish loses its heat over time when it sits in the frigerator?
I like mine pretty hot, but don't use it very often/ or often enough, so I wind up getting a new jar before the last one is empty.

No roast beef today? It's good mixed with a little sour cream and put on a baked potato.

do you find that horseradish loses its heat over time when it sits in the frigerator?
Yes, I'm pretty sure it does lose strength when it sits in your refrigerator over time. I just got down to the bottom of my horseradish a few days ago and it did not satisfy at all.

I suggest not keeping prepared horseradish for more than a year, and even that may be overly long.

I just remembered another way I like horseradish. Mix some in whole berry cranberry sauce. You should charge yourself extra if you put this on a turkey sandwich.

Last edited:
Gourmet Greg said:
Did you add any additional ingredients or did you just blend it?

I suspect a horseradish root would last a long time in the refrigerator. Perhaps cut off and discard part of the old end before reusing.

I peeled & chopped the root, put it in the food processor with a good glug of rice wine vinegar, a bit of cider vinegar and a little olive oil. Gave the machine a good workout chopping up that root! But eventually I had a good consistency. Put it in a mason jar and I give it a shake once in a while.

As I recall, Dad would peel and hand chop wild root, then whirl in the blender with some vinegar. Strong enough to crisp your eyelashes.

Last edited:
If you add a little horseradish to some orange marmalade it makes for a great dipping sauce for coconut shrimp it's also good on pork or chicken.

I peeled & chopped the root, put it in the food processor with a good glug of rice wine vinegar, a bit of cider vinegar and a little olive oil. Gave the machine a good workout chopping up that root! But eventually I had a good consistency. Put it in a mason jar and I give it a shake once in a while.

Ah thanks! I like the idea of rice wine vinegar. Although I'm of EU descent I vastly prefer Asian ingredients in so many recipes. I guess the cider vinegar must be to add to the bite. (Rice wine vinegar is pretty mild.)

If you add a little horseradish to some orange marmalade it makes for a great dipping sauce for coconut shrimp it's also good on pork or chicken.

Get out of here! :D That seems like a fantastic idea! :) I can see how the piquancy of horseradish goes well with the sweet tartness of orange marmalade.

Gourmet Greg said:
Ah thanks! I like the idea of rice wine vinegar. Although I'm of EU descent I vastly prefer Asian ingredients in so many recipes. I guess the cider vinegar must be to add to the bite. (Rice wine vinegar is pretty mild.)

Get out of here! :D That seems like a fantastic idea! :) I can see how the piquancy of horseradish goes well with the sweet tartness of orange marmalade.

I love the marmalade idea! I often do pork chops with orange marmalade.

I love the marmalade idea! I often do pork chops with orange marmalade.

I'd love to see your recipe. I just love pork chops!

Perhaps you could start a new topic so that it can be easily searched and easily bookmarked.

I can easily see why pork chops would go well with orange marmalade.

My parents used to live in Tulelake, CA, which is where the original Tulelake Horseradish plant was located. Mom said that your eyes would burn driving through town when they were processing the horseradish. The workers would have to wear full protective clothing and gas masks because the root was so potent to breathe and would burn your skin.

I personally won't buy the prepared stuff - I like just the ground horseradish. I like to put it in beef marinades. It adds a lot of kick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom