How long do condiments last in the fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady DeWinters

Senior Cook
I was wondering... with all this talk on condiments, how long does say a bottle of ketchup or mustard last in the fridge? I swear I think I have condiments from 1 year old and onwards. Ugh. Thinking about all this makes me want to run and clean up my fridge right now.:ohmy:

A bottle of ketchup or mustard can last for a very very very.. long time :) The only thing you need to take care of for its long life is that you should cover the lid of the bottles well, taking care they are not left half open or loose.

Hi, Lady. Since it's just Buck and me here, our condiments last quite a while and we've never had any "science projects" either. You know what I mean. However, you might want to check out this site. Just click on the condiment you are interested in and get an idea of how long it keeps. However, I would use it as a general rule because I have had some of my condiments last a bit longer than the times they list.

...However, you might want to check out this site. Just click on the condiment you are interested in and get an idea of how long it keeps...

No offense Katie, but if the storage times on that page are accurate, I'd have died of food poisoning decades ago. Seriously, a jar of pickles lasts 1-2 months in the fridge? Ketchup a month in the pantry?!?!

That's way to conservative.

No offense Katie, but if the storage times on that page are accurate, I'd have died of food poisoning decades ago. Seriously, a jar of pickles lasts 1-2 months in the fridge? Ketchup a month in the pantry?!?!

That's way to conservative.

Yes, Andy, I thought the list was a bit conservative. That's why I said that ours last somewhat longer than the times listed. I'd just use it as a bit of a guide. And, yes, Buck and I are still alive after having ketchup, mustard and mayo in the fridge much longer than the list suggests.

Most condiments will last longer than you will ever need them to last. I would have no problem using 5 year old ketchup as long as it looked and smelled fine.

Also, as Andy mentioned with his ketchup, most of these things do not even need to be stored in the fridge.

Also, as Andy mentioned with his ketchup, most of these things do not even need to be stored in the fridge.

Good example. How many of us have been in burger joints and restaurants and seen the "Heinz" and "French's" bottles on the tables? Bet those aren't put in the fridge at closing time. Let's hear it for vinegar-based goodies!

I once had a long email exchange with Heinz regarding whether or not their ketchup had to be refrigerated. They claim that the quality will be maintained longer if it's refrigerated but it doesn't need to be. I asked why they didn't label the bottles with refrigerate after opening and they came back with the same statement. Then it dawned on me that they could never label their ketchup as refrigerate after opening because of the reataurants across the world that leave Heinz ketchup out all the time!

I once had a long email exchange with Heinz regarding whether or not their ketchup had to be refrigerated. They claim that the quality will be maintained longer if it's refrigerated but it doesn't need to be. I asked why they didn't label the bottles with refrigerate after opening and they came back with the same statement. Then it dawned on me that they could never label their ketchup as refrigerate after opening because of the reataurants across the world that leave Heinz ketchup out all the time!

Yes, Andy. Just think of all the lawyers salivating at the thought of lawsuits from food poisoning.:ROFLMAO:

Wow. It has never occur to me to think about ketchup resting on tables in restaurants. Now that you brought it up, I keep thinking about other condiments in other restaurants like soy sauce, chilli sauce.... ARGH!! It's a wonder my stomach isn't down the drain by this time!

The only thing I have ever had problem with was a jar of Mayo that got 'lost" in the fridge. It's didn't look good, and had a rank smell, so out it went!

They found mustard in Alaska that was centuries old I make all of my mustard and if you leave it on the counter to long it will lose some of it's punch but will still be good forever
as far as ketchup. It has enough salt and vinegar, and chemicals that it will never spoil
might not tast to good but it won't spoil. I use to own a restaurant and my condiments never went in the frig sorry folks but it happens.

Jeeeeeekins, you have some 'splainin' to do.

Well....it's a little OT.....not meant to highjack the thread.

The DW says the establishments purchase just enough of those bottles for each table then refill them. Well....in the process of refilling, the person performing this procedure may spill some on the side of the bottle, then wipe it in with their finger.:ohmy:

Which means.....there is 'GOO' in the bottle from each person that touched it and the person filling it.:sick:

Bring your own packets.

Back
Top Bottom