I Went Condiment Crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, I was at Harris Teeter yesterday trying to get to $40 in one trip (trying to earn a wok) and I hit the condiment aisle pretty hard. I got: anchovy paste, Asian Chili & Garlic Sauce, Asian Sweet Chili Sauce, Mild Sweet Chili Sauce, Fine Red Wine Vinegar, Old English Fish and Chips Vinegar, and some spices (Jerk and Herbes De Provence). Now, what can I do with these items other than take them back since I obviously wasn't paying attention and got two Sweet Chili sauces.

Herbes De Provence

One of my favourite!! I love Harris Teeters. And, best of all, I get to go next week when I'm on holidays!!!! So, what will you make with everything??:)

Way off topic, have you ever tried their Jalapeno Bread?

Another user here recently glazed a meatloaf with chili sauce, so the sweet chili sauce is a great candidate for that. I’d also use it to glaze fried shrimp, chicken wings, etc. Great stuff!

Sweet Chilli sauce is great as a dip for samosas and spring rolls or with sour cream for potato wedges. You can also stirfry with it but I'm not so keen. Likewise for the chilli and garlic sauce.

Anchovy paste is great on hot buttered toast, if you are that way inclined -and I am! My favourite condiment is Worcestershire sauce, which is anchovies. You could probably also add a bit of water to the paste and use as a flavouring where you would normally use Worcestershire sauce, eg hamburger patties, stews and soups, any beef mince dishes.

The red wine vinegar is great to use in a salad dressing or to deglaze a pan with before making your sauce/gravy.

The F&C vinegar should just be your standard malt vinegar and obviously is great with F&C. Probably not as strong as straight malt vinegar. If no other additives, you could perhaps make a mint sauce with it, or with some dry mustard powder, make wet mustard.

The herb mixes will depend on what the consist of. At a guess, I would suggest the Jerk for beef and maybe, just possibly a firm fish. The Provence one I would try with lamb or chicken, or perhaps veges. Roast or bbq would be the way to go at first. Taste the seasonings though to see how much you like the flavours. Not much point wasting a good bit of meat if the seasonings aren't to your taste. If you want to try them out cooked, try sprinkling them on sliced potato and baking them in the oven. The potato won't compete and you haven't wasted much money finding out if you like the flavours.

Use for Chili Sauce

Here's a recipe that I use my chili sauce for which might be a solution for you:

Hamburger Relish

1 1/2 cups Chili Sauce -- Bottled
1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
1/2 cup Sweet Pickle Relish
1 pinch Salt
1 pinch Ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together. Put in covered jar in refrigerator. Will
keep for a number of weeks.

This product used to be sold by Heinz but no more.

:)This is a great way to use up some of the Asian Chili Garlic Sauce I have made this meal several times its oh so good.
Grilled Lobster with Creamy Chili Vinaigrette Recipe at Epicurious.com
You only need to make 1/2 the amount of sauce cause it makes alot I also add quite a bit more of the Asian sauce to recipe if you make sauce the day ahead its even better.The sauce and lobster are also great cold the next day thats if you have leftovers:)

Back
Top Bottom