ISO Chili Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My husband is wanting to cook some California style Pinquito beans, and the recipe he found calls for chili sauce (the kind made from chilis). He's looked up a couple of recipes on the web, but I wonder if anyone here has a TNT recipe?
Also, any advice on cooking the beans would be appreciated.

Sounds like you are looking for a "hot sauce" which is made from chili/hot peppers, rather than "chili sauce" which is a tomato-based sauce with horseradish or other spicey ingredients.

It might help if you posted the recipe he is trying to make. I have only ever heard of the kind Jenny mentioned as well. Are you positive it is not that kind?

I Googled and found several "California" Pinquito bean recipes and it appears that what they mean when they call for "chili sauce" is something like the hot Sriracha chili sauce - not the American tomato based condiment also called "chili sauce". Think about multiple meanings to a term - like "Buffalo Wings" - I never did figure out where the wings were on a buffalo.

It's available for a couple of bucks at most grocery stores in the area where they have Asian foods/condiments.

Last edited:
At this moment, Kim has on latex gloves and is removing the seeds and membranes from dried anchos and chilis. He talked to our Mexican DIL, whose mother happened to be there, and got some good instructions. He will heat the peppers in a skillet to bring out the oils and then will either boil them or pour boiling water over them and let stand. Then they will go in the food processor with garlic, black peppercorns, cloves and maybe some salt. Then it will be strained, and we will have the chili sauce. I think....something like that. Sounds too hot for me.

Back
Top Bottom