ISO Habanero Jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debthecook

Senior Cook
OK, I've got the jelly jars and the peppers, I just need some pectin, sugar and a couple of your best recipes. I'd like to try this and give the gifts during the holidays. Hit me with your best recipes.

My kind of gal, debthecook! Be sure to use gloves....

Chernobyl Jelly

4-5 red, ripe habaneros, seeded and chopped (use gloves!!!)
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 Cup apple cider vinegar
½ Cup good red wine vinegar
6 Cups sugar
1 packet liquid pectin (I use Certo)

Combine the chopped peppers and vinegars into a blender and puree. Pour into a heavy and tall saucepan, add the sugar and blend well. Over High heat, bring the mixture to a full boil for two minutes, then strain the mixture. (Rinse out your saucepan.) Return the strained liquid to the saucepan and return to a full boil over High heat for another five minutes. Remove from heat and add liquid pectin (and food coloring, if you wish). Ladle carefully into half-pint jars. Clean the rims of the jars and securely affix the lids. Process in a hot water bath for fifteen minutes. (Makes about 7 half pints.)

I make mine almost exactly the same was as Audeo except that I use all cider or white vinegar and at least 12 habarneros. I also simmer the pepper, jelly, vinegar puree for 15 min or so.

12 makes the jelly just right for me. I take out stems and seeds. I have made it with 16 and that's a bit too hot but tastes great. 4-5 would not be nearly enough flavor for me.

Made a batch yesterday, as I had 30 ripe red savinas that I thought might get done in by frost.

Here are some other pepper jelly recipes: http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/jams_idx.html

Hey, jennyema -- thanks for the link! What a great collection of outstanding recipes!!!

I made it this past weekend, thanks Audeo and Jenny very much. It looks very pretty, a nice habanero orange color, I did'nt need any coloring. The only difference is I processed it in a water bath 15 minutes (I made 33 jars 4 oz). I wanted to be able to keep it for the year. I have a feeling it will be thick. The Certo box said its not necessary but basically left it up to you if you wanted to do the USDA water bath. I also added 1/2 cup Motts apple juice, with the apple cider, I was worried that the heat would knock everyone's socks off. It is very tasty, stinging hot, but good! I used yellow peppers too. The next time I may not strain it, it was messy to do that and the blender did such a great job in blending it, I wonder what it would be like if I did not strain it.

debthecook said:
The next time I may not strain it, it was messy to do that and the blender did such a great job in blending it, I wonder what it would be like if I did not strain it.

Wondered that too. Hotter for sure. I always put back maybe 2-3T of puree in each batch.

I think I'd have to strain it. I can't eat really hot stuff.

This stuff I got had onions in it. I wonder if you could carmalize the onions before you used them and garlic too. Maybe add on top of the other ingredients or instead of?
also doesn't it taste like bell peppers??? just curious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom