ISO Onion Relish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
With barb-q season starting --I am looking for an onion relish recipe. The one I use to buy was more on the clear sauce not the mustard or tomato base sauces. I haven't been able to find it in store anymore and I don't remenber who made it.

Anyone have a favorite
thanks

I have a canning onion relish recipe I use, so it makes about 5 pints! It is called

Sweet Onion Relish...............but I use cooking onions

10 cups chopped sweet onions
2 1/4 c. white vinegar
1 c. sugar
2 T. celery salt
2 t. salt

Combine all ingredients in a non reactive pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Ladel relish into clean hot jars with 1/4 inch headspace. cap and seal. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Let sit two weeks before using, to marry flavors.

I liked mine better when I use fresh celery leaves instead of celery seed.

oh, I just saw a note that I added some fresh chopped garlic and hot peppers for one batch and it has a smiley face by it..

Garlic-Onion Relish

8 cloves garlic -- thinly sliced (8 to 10)
2 medium onions -- chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1 medium orange -- seeded and chopped
1 tbsp chopped -- fresh mint

Cook garlic and onions in the olive oil over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until onions are golden, but not browned. Stir in vinegar and honey. Stir in the orange and add mint last. Heat and serve over steaks or chicken.

SWEET ONION RELISH

14 c. (packed down) ground onion
7 c. (packed down) ground red and
green bell peppers
1 c. ground hot, red and green pepper
1 qt. white vinegar
4 c. sugar
2 tbsp. salt

Pour boiling water over ground onions and bell pepper. Let set until can be pressed through sieve to remove water. Mix with other ingredients and simmer 30 minutes. Seal in hot sterilized jars. Makes 10 or 12 pints.

VIDALIA ONION RELISH

1 1/2 gal. ground Vidalia sweet onions (14 to 18 med. onions)
1/2 c. salt
1 qt. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. Turmeric
1 tsp. pickling spice
1 tsp. pimento, chopped
4 1/2 c. sugar
Grind onions to yield 2 1/2 gallons and 1/2 cup salt, let stand 30 minutes. Squeeze juice from onion-salt mixture and discharge juice. To onions, add vinegar, spices, pimento and sugar. Bring to boil and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often. Pack both onions and cooking liquid to cover in hot pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Remove air bubbles, wipe jar rims. Adjust lids. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Makes 8 pints.

Nice recipe, but not a canning recipe so it would have to be kept in the refrigerator and I don't have that much room. :ohmy:
"Sure is....... do you need more instructions besides seal in hot sterilized jars...." If you do, i'll add the hot water bath times......... or just use the sealing instructions Constance posted;)

Sorry, but "open kettle" processing is not "canning" and since no effort is made to kill bacteria spores that could grow in the sealed jars, they are not safe. And just arbitrarily adding hot water bath times, without actually being tested by a food scientist, is not safe either.

http://missvickie.com/canning/quiz.htm

People can do what they want in their homes. I'm just making a reference to those that might not know what is safe or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom