Ketchup/Catsup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bankai

Assistant Cook
Can someone explain, what is the different between ketchup and catsup?

I'm from australia ... There is a difference between our 'tomato sauce' and american 'ketchup' however the difference is trivial. Is Catsup the same thing ?

Ketchup and Catsup are the same thing...just different spellings!

Welcome to the group!

Can someone explain, what is the different between ketchup and catsup?

I'm from australia ... There is a difference between our 'tomato sauce' and american 'ketchup' however the difference is trivial. Is Catsup the same thing ?

Ketchup/catsup is not the same as tomato sauce. It has vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and such. In the US, tomato sauce is savory, not sweet.

potaoe/patatoe catsup/ketchup

'tomato sauce' can mean alot of different things.... just never use either of the former on pasta and you'll be ok

The controversy actually went to the US Supreme Court and was decided by Justice Warren Burger, breaking a 4:4 tie, that BOTH names would continue to be used, so the saga continues.

Thus the confusion.

What Americans call ketchup, the Australians call tomato sauce. Same thing - different name.

Imagine an Australian in America ordering a burger with tomato sauce...

Well, to add to the confusion, I know my friend in brazil puts ketchup/catsup on her pizza ( along with mayo ) and i know many people ( including my mother in law) who put ketchup/ catsup on spaghetti too. I guess i can see it, but id rather put salt in my eye.

you got that right!!! Actually, Although Im no a big pizza hut fan, I was curious to see if what they had to offer in brazil was the same as it was here ( in new york). So, I asked my friend to send me the take out menu from her local brazilian pizza hut. It turns out they have a regional section on the menu that caters to the local taste. I have a hard time getting pizza outside of new york, let alone in brazil. No catchup, mayo or bananas for me.

I never knew a discussion on ketchup/catsup could be so amusing. Thanks you all!

Don't they crack a raw egg on pizza in Italy?? I might be tempted to try some of the other variations, but never a raw egg! Blech!

I hate catsup, but love ketchup. As the matter of fact even this site doesn't recognize the catsup spelling.

And what's wrong with raw egg anyways? I eat it all the time. Have been all my life, nothing warms you up better then some raw eggs and some bread on the cold day, well maybe some vodka.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom