Mayo prep questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still having a challenge making homemade mayo with my immersion blender. It's coming out like runny liquid:( I'm wondering if it's because I didn't let the egg sit out of the fridge long enough. I left it out for 30 minutes.

Here are the ingredients I used:

1 egg yoke
1 tbsp lime juice
1 cup sunflower oil
pinch of salt

Should I have used the whole egg? Maybe left the egg out a little longer? I'm so frustrated with this!!!
I don't keep eggs in the 'fridge (possibly a more moderate climate where I live than where you are) and most "authorities" say that room temperature eggs should be used for mayo. Try leaving them out overnight.

Yes, I always use just yolks. Most recipes advise this although the Bamix hand blender is advertised and demonstrated as being able to make mayo with whole eggs.

The age of the eggs may also affect the texture of the mayo.

Were you adding the oil too quickly? The traditional recipes mean it when they specify adding it "drop by drop", until the mixture has started to emulsify, and then in a thin stream.

Incidentally, are you sure about the quality of your eggs? Government health warnings in the UK advise that children, pregnant women, the elderly and anyone with a compromised immune system shouldn't consume raw egg.

I don't keep eggs in the 'fridge (possibly a more moderate climate where I live than where you are) and most "authorities" say that room temperature eggs should be used for mayo. Try leaving them out overnight.

Yes, I always use just yolks. Most recipes advise this although the Bamix hand blender is advertised and demonstrated as being able to make mayo with whole eggs.

The age of the eggs may also affect the texture of the mayo.

Were you adding the oil too quickly? The traditional recipes mean it when they specify adding it "drop by drop", until the mixture has started to emulsify, and then in a thin stream.

Incidentally, are you sure about the quality of your eggs? Government health warnings in the UK advise that children, pregnant women, the elderly and anyone with a compromised immune system shouldn't consume raw egg.

Guess you didn't see my subsequent post in this thread. I discovered that the problem was the speed setting on the immersion blender. It wasn't high enough. Once I set it to 2 everything everything was fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

A trick that I think I learned here: if using an immersion blender, use a small, wide mouthed jar to make the mayo in. Then when it's done, you don't have to take it out of the beaker, just put the lid on the jar and put it in the fridge. I usually write the date on the jar too.

Last edited:
A trick that I think I learned here: if using an immersion blender, use a small, wide mouthed jar to make the mayo in. Then when it's done, you don't have to take it out of the beaker, just put the lid on the jar and put it in the fridge. I usually write the date on the jar too.

That's a great idea! If you have a moment can you post a pic of the type of jar you use?

That's a great idea! If you have a moment can you post a pic of the type of jar you use?

I use a pint Mason jar. I realized the ~10 oz salsa jars would work. I'll save the next one. Just make sure the immersion blender will fit easily into the jar and that you have a lid.

Attachments

• pint mason jar.jpg
    pint mason jar.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 222
I'm curious about how long everyone keeps homemade mayo.

I used to use the three day rule. Recently I read an article by some foodies, that I trust, and they indicated that it was safe to keep it on hand until the expiration date of the eggs used to make the mayo. I have not attempted to keep mayo for that long, and really don't need to, but I have gone out as far as 5 days.

I used to use the three day rule. Recently I read an article by some foodies, that I trust, and they indicated that it was safe to keep it on hand until the expiration date of the eggs used to make the mayo. I have not attempted to keep mayo for that long, and really don't need to, but I have gone out as far as 5 days.

I don't agree with that. Once you crack the eggs, they're exposed to microorganisms in the air and on surfaces, including the jar and the tools used to make the emulsion, which can then grow in the mayo.

Last edited:

I have gone as long as two weeks, but the expiration date on the eggs was longer than that.

I don't agree with that. Once you crack the eggs, they're exposed to microorganisms in the air and on surfaces, including the jar and the tools used to make the emulsion, which can then grow in the mayo.
Agreed, but eggs are usually good for a while after the expiration date. I still wouldn't keep homemade mayo more than two weeks.

Agreed, but eggs are usually good for a while after the expiration date. I still wouldn't keep homemade mayo more than two weeks.

I've never actually checked the date on eggs when I use them and I've never had a bad egg. Ever. But once you mix them with something else, the condition of the eggs is irrelevant.

Thank you Andy and Taxlady for the info on the mason jars. I'm definitely going to get some of those.

I use a pint Mason jar. I realized the ~10 oz salsa jars would work. I'll save the next one. Just make sure the immersion blender will fit easily into the jar and that you have a lid.

I'm so bummed out. Just bought a 12-pack of pint mason jars at Bed Bath. The mouth wasn't wide enough for my immersion blender to go through :mad: I'll have to try something else.

I'm so bummed out. Just bought a 12-pack of pint mason jars at Bed Bath. The mouth wasn't wide enough for my immersion blender to go through :mad: I'll have to try something else.
Aw, phooey. Did you get "wide-mouthed" jars? I would imagine the store will take them back.

BTW, the reason I want to use a salsa jar is because it has a one piece lid. Those two piece lids are a nuisance when you don't need two pieces. I know I can buy one piece "storage lids" for regular Mason jars, but I don't think they make them for wide-mouthed jars.

I use well-washed Smucker's PB jars for LOTS of food storage! I've gotten to the point where I save empty containers to use as vessels for foods I'm giving to someone. That way they don't have to return it. My favorite go-to right now is the kinda-quart size tub left behind after I finish up the Greek Fage that came with the container.

Aw, phooey. Did you get "wide-mouthed" jars? I would imagine the store will take them back.

BTW, the reason I want to use a salsa jar is because it has a one piece lid. Those two piece lids are a nuisance when you don't need two pieces. I know I can buy one piece "storage lids" for regular Mason jars, but I don't think they make them for wide-mouthed jars.

They do have the wide mouth, I have a package of them. Check Lehmans.com

I returned them. Bed Bath doesn't carry the pint size wide mouthed jars. I would have to order them on amazon or some other website. The salesperson at BBB said he buys them individually at Whole Foods for $1.99.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom