MSG - Monosodium Glutamate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread got me thinking cos I didn't recall seeing it in the stores. I know that the Chinese (and maybe other cuisines) restaurants (some, not all) use it here, so it must be available commercially or as an imported product, but I am yet to see it as a retail item. I have just had a look at both the McCormick and Masterfoods Australian sites, and neither list it. Makes me wonder if it is actually banned domestically here? But that of course doesn't explain the local Chinese restaurant. Curious.

It is obviously available commercially as it is still in canned, etc goods, and as I said before, some restaurants use it, but as it has an E-code, I guess it might be hard to market directly to the consumers. I mean would you shop for E621?? I'm just having a look at Food Standards Aus/NZ.

Oh and is Accent the product name or the manufacturer?

Definitely not seen that at any of the major supermarkets or the minor ones either. Haven't looked in the Oriental stores for herbs and spices but will next time too. Thanks Andy.

That though is my point. Retail-wise, it isn't that common in Australia. I'm not saying you are wrong cos as I said, I haven't checked there, just that that size would be for commercial use, and MSG is still used commercially.

In my supermarkets is is sold with the regular salt. it is on the bottom shelf though. Until I looked for it I never noticed it was there.

That though is my point. Retail-wise, it isn't that common in Australia. I'm not saying you are wrong cos as I said, I haven't checked there, just that that size would be for commercial use, and MSG is still used commercially.

You'll find it in every possible size container there. From table use to commercial.

Many Asians don't have any hang ups about using MSG. It's like salt. Markets catering to the Asian community will have it in consumer-sized packages.

This thread got me thinking cos I didn't recall seeing it in the stores. I know that the Chinese (and maybe other cuisines) restaurants (some, not all) use it here, so it must be available commercially or as an imported product, but I am yet to see it as a retail item. I have just had a look at both the McCormick and Masterfoods Australian sites, and neither list it. Makes me wonder if it is actually banned domestically here? But that of course doesn't explain the local Chinese restaurant. Curious.

Bilby if you go to a store selling asian products look for 'azinamoto'. I think that's how it's spelled. this is a kind of MSG.I bet that you'll that you'll find it.

I'll betcha lunch at an all-you-can-eat buffet that they'll have it.

It's as common as soy sauce.

nah we don't get it at buffets, i go to asian grocery stores very often and like to look at everything in the store lol. There is no Accent or MSG stuff in my suburb or surrounding suburbs within a couple hours and we go to quite a few diff places cos we like to drive around..

Like I said, I will check out the Asian stores around me when I go next and check with my Malaysian friend. I've asked one of my friends and she hasn't seen it either. I am not saying that several of you aren't correct but it isn't something that gets mentioned in Australian recipes, it isn't marketed over here and it isn't available in the big stores, and we have a large Asian population in Perth. Don't know what it's like where Rom lives.

I think there maybe a law about it for retail purposes, limiting it to only commercial purchases. I started to look into it last night on the web, but while there is heaps on MSG (for Australian purposes), the legal aspects are a little bit more obscure to locate. I shall persevere.

I checked the salts section, the herbs and spices, and the bit that has those non-descript additives. To sell it over here it would need to be marked with E621 so it would look pretty obvious.

population really high over here, many many stores, some dedicated suburbs too, bilby.

Back
Top Bottom