MSG - Monosodium Glutamate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But he also said it's not necessarily an allergy per se, just a reaction to lots of it at once. So, when you're experimenting keltin, I wouldn't pour it on heavily at first. (Just in case you buy a 25 lb. box!)

Thanks for the head up FM! I’ve eaten a lot of Chinese takeout, and so far so good. I just took a “shot” of the Accent, and nothing so far. Maybe I’ll self medicate with a shout of Bourbon just in case!:LOL:

One thing that I usually do is use it to finish a dish as opposed to adding it during the cooking process. I heard a while ago that the negative effects, if any, come from cooking the MSG. I doubt that is true, but I don't find any benefit of adding it at the beginning of cooking so I don't.

Maybe I’ll self medicate with a shout of Bourbon just in case!:LOL:
Speaking of, I was experimenting with vodka martinis one night. I enjoy a dirty martini from time to time and it got me thinking that the salty taste in a martini is kind of cool. I made a vodka martini with some msg. I have to say it was quite interesting. It was pretty good. I doubt I would do it again, but it was fun the one time I did it.

Speaking of, I was experimenting with vodka martinis one night. I enjoy a dirty martini from time to time and it got me thinking that the salty taste in a martini is kind of cool. I made a vodka martini with some msg. I have to say it was quite interesting. It was pretty good. I doubt I would do it again, but it was fun the one time I did it.

Hmmmm.....since Umami, or savory, is triggerd by MSG, and tomatoes are savory, what about a Bloody Mary with MSG? Or just tomato juice? I think I'll try that too!

One thing that I usually do is use it to finish a dish as opposed to adding it during the cooking process. I heard a while ago that the negative effects, if any, come from cooking the MSG. I doubt that is true, but I don't find any benefit of adding it at the beginning of cooking so I don't.

Excellent. That's what I'll reserve it for then, as a finisher. Thanks for the info and tip!

I use MSG all the time. Mostly in my Asian cuisines, but I like it in soups and stews as well..

I find most of my MSG at Oriental Grocery stores..

:)

When ya'll are all checking out the stuff you can make using MSG, be sure and make a note if you have a really bad reaction. Like exactly how much MSG it took. I have a neighbor I want to cook something special for.

I Use it, but I cut it.

here we have something called Lo-Salt, it`s 66% Potassium chloride and 33% Sodium chloride (the rest is anti-caking agents etc...).
it`s primarily aimed at those on a low sodium Diet.

so I dump this into a large jar 2/3 full and top up with MSG, then I give it a Good shake up to mix.
this is the salt I use in the salt pot that you ADD to food after, I don`t use it for Cooking with.

cooking salt, ie/ boiling potatoes or veg in or Brining I use ordinary salt for as it`s just performing a Function more than anything else.

here we have something called Lo-Salt, it`s 66% Potassium chloride and 33% Sodium chloride (the rest is anti-caking agents etc...).

Hey, we’ve got that here too. I bumped into a jar of it at Kroger when I was looking for the Accent (MSG). I had to read the ingredients as I was wondering how they make reduced sodium salt! As you say, it was 66% potassium chloride!

Great info. Thanx!

Naturally occuring in a lot of foods. Of note is the notion of umami, which is now recognized as a "flavor" the tongue is sensitive to, in addition to the salty, sweet, sour, etc. (learned this from The Zen Of Fish, book on the story of sushi).

I've never used it and never seen it sold. Quite a few restaurants are advertising "MSG Free"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom